David Dart Instruments build thread

Nice! Are the same strings on all three of those? I can really hear the difference in tone from the warmer cedar, brighter acacia, and in-between jarrah.

Wow! I agree, Jim. Great comparison of the wood qualities. That cedar really rocks my world! Love, love, love

Here's another demo video of the three baritone ukes, two weeks after the other video. They're really opened up and are sounding great!

There are more photos, materials, & specs on this blog, as well as an official "For Sale" post on the UU Marketplace.

Here's the acacia one:

IMG_1427.JPG

And four more baritones are already underway! One will be a six-string: acacia, with a double-strung octave on the 3rd and 4th strings and plain 1st & 2nd strings.

Four more baritones almost done!

Dart_cyp_purp_baritone1.jpg
cypress_purpleheart_forweb.jpg
Dart_cyp_rosewood_baritone.jpg

This batch includes a pair of Style Two (with binding) and a pair of Style One (without binding). Please visit Dart Instruments' new blog for more details on these beauties.

Cocobolo & spruce concert ukulele!

18222396_10155039636180071_6618737448648490404_n.jpg

18198990_10155039636225071_3704036348583778670_n.jpg

Here's a Sitka spruce & cocobolo concert ukulele. It'll have a cherry neck, ebony fingerboard, boxwood/BWB top binding, and boxwood back binding & center strip.

Hi folks - just finished a new batch of ukuleles! Here are some photos and a demo video of five baritones. I just posted them for sale over in the Marketplace forum with more photos & specs, but have a look here in the meantime.

The acacia (from the San Francisco Presidio) six-string is fun: it features octave-strung 3rd & 4th courses and single-strung 1st & 2nd courses, for a really big sound!

uke_Bari_june1_Cypress_purple_detail.jpg

uke_Bari_june1_cherry_body.jpg

uke_Bari_june1_acacia6_sidedetail.jpg

18893267_10155143380860071_6308603475792896863_n.j  pg

I've been a custom maker for 50 + years and solid lining is the way to go on almost any stringed instrument. Much more rigid rim and better sustain overall.
That x bracing is more than I usually do. I don't put the lower cross brace in. That particular top wood was very (too?) flexible so I put the extra brace/ cleat to hold it from over expanding, not as a tone bar. It's very thin.
Favilla used solid binding on their pre paper label baritones. they are awesome.

Its always good to see makers displaying and playing their instruments. These look and sound great. I can't help noticing the lute in the background-is that something you've made, are repairing ...or play?

Top Bottom