Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 255: The J's Have It!

Default Season 255: The J's Have It!

Season 255: The J’s Have It!

Happy New Year, Seasonistas! It’s 2017 (or almost!) and now we gather around our virtual hearth, ukuleles in hand, to celebrate music yet again.

The turning of a calendar’s page to a new year often means looking back as we move forward. Looking at the “2017” made me think about that new “7” in the date. And that took me back to a very important time in my lifelong love of music – the early 70’s.

For me, it was a time of phenomenal singer-songwriters. And looking back at it now, on the brink of 2017, I noticed something that I had never noticed before. So many of my favorites had first names that began with the letter “J.”

Last time I hosted (Season 190), I welcomed everyone to my home, Long Island. This time I welcome everyone to my musical “home.” Visit my favorite singer-songwriters from the early 70’s! Well, I mean those whose first names begin with a “J.”

Please – come in. You can leave your Frye boots, desert boots and Earth shoes by the door. I’ll take your coats. Go ahead over to the fireplace. Warm your hands and have something to eat and drink. And for my friends Down Under? Did you need the window open for a cool breeze to return you to the memories you hold of these artists? I can do that!

No digital devices. No clocks or watches. It’s the 70’s. A fine place to be with your friends and all that great music. Stay all night.

Here’s the challenge:

View the list of singer-songwriters I’ve provided below. Each has a special connection to me.

Cover songs written, recorded or performed by these artists. The songs you perform may be from any point in the artist’s career. Be sure to identify the artist is in the thread which contains your posted vid.

If you prefer to compose an original song, please use this opportunity to revisit the 70’s for you in your lyrics and/or musical compositions.

Unlimited entries. No previously posted vids on any Seasons related threads.

Season 255: The J’s Have It!

Joan Baez
    Janis Ian
    Jackson Brown
    Janis Joplin
    Jimmy Buffett
    John Lennon
    Judy Collins
    John Lodge
    Jim Croce
    Jim Morrison
    John Denver
    Joni Mitchell
    Jonathan Edwards
    John Prine
    John Fogerty
    John Sebastian
    Jerry Garcia
    James Taylor
    Justin Hayward
    Jimmy Webb

*** Please remember not to post before midnight Hawaii time on January 1st. And we've still got plenty of time to perform more short songs with long titles and post them in Pa's Season 254!

PLAYLIST https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._rWQGR00wWeiec
    Last edited by turtledrum; 12-31-2016 at 01:12 PM.

No intro vid for me this time. I'll see everyone (or rather everyone will see me ) in the closing vid.

I am offering a song to get us started:

Season 255. Submission 1. "Someday Soon" (Written by Ian Tyson and recorded by Judy Collins on her album "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" in 1968.

How could you forget Jerry Jeff Walker?

What do you mean, no John Cale? I has a sad now.

Let's hope WS64 doesn't post his version of Annie's Song or it will all be over before it's started.

Fantastic list Linda and this will be a great week of music by all. Thanks for taking on the week
    Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

Oooooooooooh! (to do a BEV)

There's some great names there. Should be a good season. Excellent theme, Linda.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Love it, Linda!
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana PCK-25G pineapple mahogany concert Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides KoAloha soprano (2001 vintage) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by lakesideglenn View Post
    How could you forget Jerry Jeff Walker?
    I'm sorry that you're disappointed, but I didn't forget Jerry Jeff Walker. I just didn't listen to him at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Demimondaine View Post
    What do you mean, no John Cale? I has a sad now.

I'm sorry that you're disappointed. I didn't listen to John Cale at that time.

Thread Information