Season 255: The J's Have It!

turtledrum

Reaction score
Season 255: The J’s Have It!

Happy New Year, Seasonistas! It’s 2017 (or almost!) and now we gather around our virtual hearth, ukuleles in hand, to celebrate music yet again.

The turning of a calendar’s page to a new year often means looking back as we move forward. Looking at the “2017” made me think about that new “7” in the date. And that took me back to a very important time in my lifelong love of music – the early 70’s.

For me, it was a time of phenomenal singer-songwriters. And looking back at it now, on the brink of 2017, I noticed something that I had never noticed before. So many of my favorites had first names that began with the letter “J.”

Last time I hosted (Season 190), I welcomed everyone to my home, Long Island. This time I welcome everyone to my musical “home.” Visit my favorite singer-songwriters from the early 70’s! Well, I mean those whose first names begin with a “J.”

Please – come in. You can leave your Frye boots, desert boots and Earth shoes by the door. I’ll take your coats. Go ahead over to the fireplace. Warm your hands and have something to eat and drink. And for my friends Down Under? Did you need the window open for a cool breeze to return you to the memories you hold of these artists? I can do that!

No digital devices. No clocks or watches. It’s the 70’s. A fine place to be with your friends and all that great music. Stay all night.

Here’s the challenge:

View the list of singer-songwriters I’ve provided below. Each has a special connection to me.

Cover songs written, recorded or performed by these artists. The songs you perform may be from any point in the artist’s career. Be sure to identify the artist is in the thread which contains your posted vid.

If you prefer to compose an original song, please use this opportunity to revisit the 70’s for you in your lyrics and/or musical compositions.

Unlimited entries. No previously posted vids on any Seasons related threads.

Season 255: The J’s Have It!

Joan Baez
Janis Ian
Jackson Brown
Janis Joplin
Jimmy Buffett
John Lennon
Judy Collins
John Lodge
Jim Croce
Jim Morrison
John Denver
Joni Mitchell
Jonathan Edwards
John Prine
John Fogerty
John Sebastian
Jerry Garcia
James Taylor
Justin Hayward
Jimmy Webb

*** Please remember not to post before midnight Hawaii time on January 1st. And we've still got plenty of time to perform more short songs with long titles and post them in Pa's Season 254!

PLAYLIST https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGoYd7qUIo5YzkDpbf5_rWQGR00wWeiec

Last edited:
No intro vid for me this time. I'll see everyone (or rather everyone will see me :) ) in the closing vid.

I am offering a song to get us started:

Season 255. Submission 1. "Someday Soon" (Written by Ian Tyson and recorded by Judy Collins on her album "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" in 1968.

Let's hope WS64 doesn't post his version of Annie's Song or it will all be over before it's started.

Fantastic list Linda and this will be a great week of music by all. Thanks for taking on the week :)

Oooooooooooh! (to do a BEV)

There's some great names there. Should be a good season. Excellent theme, Linda.

Love it, Linda!

What a mighty fine list of singer songwriters! Looks like a season to keep a close watch on and make sure I find the time to join in. HAPPY NEW YEAR LINDA!

I hope we can include John Martyn!!!!

Amazing list of artists. John Prine and James Taylor would keep me busy for a month or two. Ive resurrected all the John Prine albums in iTunes...he has some great music. Looking forward to this.

No intro vid for me this time. I'll see everyone (or rather everyone will see me :) ) in the closing vid.

I am offering a song to get us started:

Season 255. Submission 1. "Someday Soon" (Written by Ian Tyson and recorded by Judy Collins on her album "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" in 1968.

I asked my dad who is like a music encyclopedia what his favorite song was and he said this one...I never knew that. Apparently the steel guitar part in it is his favorite.
One of the best things I ever got to do was see Sylvia Tyson do it a few years back. I never thought she was a great singer, but boy was she fun to watch. Gonna be a fun season- great song to start out with.

Top Bottom