Beau Hannam Spiral Rosette Tenor

Much appreciate your comment, Steve. Yes, I dunno why I always backed away from sound ports before, but I'm a fan now.

Congrats Craig........that's a beauty! I also love side sound ports.........they project the sound right up to the player. They are also really handy for portable external pickups by keeping the pickup out of the way, but picking up all elements of the sound.

Thanks, pritch! I try to incorporate review elements that others can value.

DownUPDave, thanks very much. Haha, yes, that is one silly grin on my face holding the tenor but as you know it can't be helped!

Ukulele Eddie: wow, the selmer style is truly beautiful. Over the last few years I've come to enjoy Django's work and every time I see a selmer I think of him. You are going to have one heck of a nice gypsy jazz uke. Congratulations.

Pere: I very much appreciate your agreement. It's easy for us as buyers to get confused in the build process, but letting luthiers like Beau do their work is key, I think.

bonesoup: Thanks much. Ever since I first saw a Nautilus cam strength training machine I've been intrigued by the idea and execution of that idea and design, in nature and in human effort.

turtledrum: so appreciate your kind and warm comments. Means a lot.

Doc: Your friendship and counsel have meant a lot to me, especially this past year. I'm glad I could share this new uke with you. You are too kind about my playing! Be in touch.

UkeinTW: That redwood/blackwood combination is definitely a hit! Thank you very much for your comments. Best to you.

Craig, that is a very beautiful ukulele. Beau did an awesome job on design. As one poster said, the golden ratio was done so well and I personally believe that it will increase the vibratory energy of your Uke ( that's another story ). Anyway congratulations! It's late, got to work tomorrow morning so look forward to hearing your demos tomorrow. Where do you live in NC? I live in Brevard.

Craig, that is a very beautiful ukulele. Beau did an awesome job on design. As one poster said, the golden ratio was done so well and I personally believe that it will increase the vibratory energy of your Uke ( that's another story ). Anyway congratulations! It's late, got to work tomorrow morning so look forward to hearing your demos tomorrow. Where do you live in NC? I live in Brevard.

The Classical guitar shape is based on the Golden Ratio. I looked into it once, drew it all out proportionally and realised it looked like a normal classical guitar!

Congratulations, Craig, and welcome to the Beau Hannam family! That's a beautiful instrument you have, and I love the rosette. I'd love to hear what it sounds like.

I have two BH instruments -- a tenor guitar (Beau's first; I got to be involved in overall design elements like body shape) and a sibling-but-not-twin tenor ukulele. Both are built with Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides and a Redwood soundboard, and as the building process progressed, Beau added interesting touches -- the rosette, headstock designs, tail inlay. I think you're absolutely right about working with luthiers in general and with Beau in particular -- my experience with Beau is that he got inspired to add artistic touches during the build process and the instruments ended up being instruments with design elements neither one of us might have imagined before the builds began. I think that if you like a luthier's work, you provide him with the broad strokes of what you want and then just let him have at it. My favorite luthiers have never built an instrument I wouldn't love to own.

Congratulations again, and as mmstan (who referred me to Beau) likes to say, happy strummings!

mds725,

Yep, that pattern of him submerging into the uke's design and possibilities and then emerging with ideas seems to be the "Beau pattern". It's a pattern I've seen in a lot of creative people (actors and performers I've worked with). For me, it was easy to suggest and then let him follow his instincts. Sounds to me like Beau's familiarity with Blackwood and Redwood are key to us both. : )

I've been strumming since it came. 8 )

Congratulations, Craig, and welcome to the Beau Hannam family! That's a beautiful instrument you have, and I love the rosette. I'd love to hear what it sounds like.

I have two BH instruments -- a tenor guitar (Beau's first; I got to be involved in overall design elements like body shape) and a sibling-but-not-twin tenor ukulele. Both are built with Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides and a Redwood soundboard, and as the building process progressed, Beau added interesting touches -- the rosette, headstock designs, tail inlay. I think you're absolutely right about working with luthiers in general and with Beau in particular -- my experience with Beau is that he got inspired to add artistic touches during the build process and the instruments ended up being instruments with design elements neither one of us might have imagined before the builds began. I think that if you like a luthier's work, you provide him with the broad strokes of what you want and then just let him have at it. My favorite luthiers have never built an instrument I wouldn't love to own.

Congratulations again, and as mmstan (who referred me to Beau) likes to say, happy strummings!

The Classical guitar shape is based on the Golden Ratio. I looked into it once, drew it all out proportionally and realised it looked like a normal classical guitar!

Hi Beau, that's nice to know about the golden ratio and the classical guitar shape. I got interested in sacred geometry ( which includes, of course, the golden ratio and/or spiral ) years ago. These universal mathematical and geometric shapes have been used in sacred architecture and sacred art for thousands of years. And now in one of your awesome ukuleles! And such a beautiful design by you. Thanks, Bruce

Last edited:
An instrument such as this are what DREAMS are made of...just WOW...off the chart WOW.

Craig, thanks for sharing this here :)

Fantastic design ideas and realization. This is the 3rd BH instrument I have seen in detail, and each one has had original design ideas I had never seen before. Not only is it aesthetically beautiful, but the tone is fantastic as well. Very nice playing too! Thanks for sharing, and enjoy it Craig!

Congrats Craig, like you I play my Beau Hannam Custom Selmer style tenor in low G Fremont soloist with a wound C from Southcoast and E and A are D'addario black nylons as I find fluorocarbon to bright for my ear. The tone is transcendental it's so good and the sustain is the longest I've ever heard on a uke. Beau is as you said a master builder and a pleasure to work with. I wish you years of enjoyment with your new uke.

Wow. I loved your rendition of "Rainbow Connection". It really brings out the tone of this beautiful instrument. Enjoy it in good health.

Luke

Top Bottom