Strings Aquila carbon black -new strings

I had no problem installing the carbon blacks on my Kala tenor uke. I don't do a pre-stretch, preferring to let the strings stretch on their own once installed. I found that the carbon blacks settled in quickly, unlike the original fluorocarbons which came on the instrument and needed retuning every few minutes. I just wanted to reassure Campbell that MeUkulele's experience wasn't mine, and may well not be yours.

Very true, however, I will say I'm not that happy to get two sets and have three strings break. Aquila had same issue with REDs in the beginning and I know how to install them successfully. Let us know your finding. I want to like them, the carbon black, and I fully support what Mimmo is doing pushing for new materials and strings. Maybe I just had back luck. Back to flurocarbon for now for me.

I wonder if carbon blacks are the same as red, but he's using black iron oxide instead of red iron oxide.

Hi guys,
there is a little difference between theb reds and these carbonblaks.
yes, the iron powder is different.

take care about the installation: see my video.
if they are installed on the peg hole too tight then there are a few turns around the peg and so the hole work like a knife and can cut the string (the hole has sharp edges). Permit to the string to have 5-6 turns almost so the tension spread over a whide surfice of the peg. M3Ukuleles can you send me an UU?? for replaces I mean. An uke player cannot stay unhappy.
ja
Mimmo

I installed one baritone set so far with no breakage issues. I've been playing it quite a bit in the last week and found them very balanced with a smooth transition from the wounds to the trebles. I think I still prefer the Southcoast set I replaced but these compared favorably. The wounds are not as smooth and quiet. I have found them quite stable so far. They settled in quickly and are holding tune very well even with temperature swings we are getting this week in Portland.

Put them on my KoAloha tenor with no breakage problem either, also I do not pre stretch and they stabilised very quickly indeed.

So far I am really liking them and have ordered some spare sets.

Put them on my KoAloha tenor with no breakage problem either, also I do not pre stretch and they stabilised very quickly indeed.

So far I am really liking them and have ordered some spare sets.

Spoke too soon, just had the A string break at the nut, after about 3 months of use.

Never had a string break before.

Still really like them though, glad I had spares.

Received string replacement from Aquila for the carbon black strings that broke. Just put a set on my custom tenor with zero fret. Strings went on great. Non prestretch needed. Kept winds around post to 3-4. String settled in fast. Hold tuning well in a couple of days but playable immediately with tuning adjustment after a song or two. They sound very good strummed or finger picked. Clear and articulate. Not too bright but nice tone. String tension is less than Lava which I liked. I like CB better. I think I like CB better than REDs. Definitely worth a try on some of your favourite ukuleles. Aquila are stand up people and Mimmo is great. I would recommend trying. I will buy more sets. Now my favourite Aquila product. I have a set Aldrine's Aquila strings next to try!

I just bought some a couple days ago to replace my D'Addario fluorocarbon strings which had started to fray. I play a Kala KA-T tenor and use a low G string, as you might expect. I mostly use my ukulele like a miniature classical guitar, plucking the strings with my nails. I have nearly 20 years experience playing music, and I play my ukulele several hours a day, although I have only been playing the ukulele for a year. I only have experience with Aquila Nylgut and fluorocarbon strings. I stretched out the CarbonBlacks, and they stay in tune. I don't have a lot of knowledge with regard to strings, but I'll post a non-technical review here.

The strings had some interesting properties, but overall, I was very disappointed.

First I'll give a general description, then I'll summarize with a brief list of pros and cons

Aquila says the strings are their answer to fluorocarbon. I am not sure what that means; they feel different and play completely differently from fluorocarbon strings, although the CarbonBlacks do have good sustain like fluorocarbon. Most of my playing has been with fluorocarbon, and I'll focus on comparing these strings with fluorocarbon.

The strings have a soft, somewhat rubbery feel underneath my fingertips, and the low G string is wound. This is neither good nor bad, but the feeling is quite different from the hard plastic feel of fluorocarbon. I think most people would describe the tone as "warm." The pitch warbles more immediately after the strings are plucked, which is kind of nice, more guitar-like. The strings have a much lower tension than fluorocarbon strings, and feel denser. I think this is part of the reason why the CarbonBlacks allow me to play with a more even volume across the entire fretboard, which is a good thing. It is also easier to bend notes. However, it seems that the range in volume is less, and, more important, it is nearly impossible for me to play in tune, because if I apply any more than the slightest pressure to the strings, the pitch goes sharp. This is especially true higher up on the fretboard. The difference between a light touch and a heavy touch can be as much as a semitone. It sounds horrible. No guitar-family instrument will ever be completely in tune along the entire fretboard as long as the frets are straight, but for reasons I'm a bit too lazy to expound upon, compensating by bending, etc. is very difficult with these strings.

The expressiveness that is gained from evenness of volume across the fretboard and the ability to bend notes is obviated by the fact that in order to play notes at high volumes, it is necessary to press down harder on the strings to prevent the string from slipping out from under your fingers when plucking hard, which, as I noted above, throws the note off pitch.

A separate set of issues relates to the wound G string. I have the same problem with controlling the pitch as I mentioned above. The other problems I suppose aren't unique to this set of strings. The timbre and volume of the G string are different enough from the other strings that chords are dominated by the sound of the low G string. Plus, the harsh sound of my fingernail scraping against the winding is not nice.

Pros:
-Even tone across the fretboard
-Easy to bend notes
-Good sustain

Cons:

-Very unforgiving of changes in finger pressure
-Strings have inherently less range in volume
-Even if they did have greater range,
it is nearly impossible to play in tune at higher volumes
-scraping sound on the wound G string
-chords dominated by the sound of the G string

Neutral:

-Soft feel on the fingers
-Warm tone
-Low tension

I have tried to emphasize the good and bad points equally, but for me, the difficulty of controlling the pitch really overwhelms any of the other benefits of these strings, at least on my ukulele. I am sure that a more experienced player could keep their finger pressure at just the right amount to keep all the notes in tune, but he would still have to deal with the wound G string, and it is very difficult to control the pitch when fretting.

I ordered a new set of D'Addario fluorocarbons the day after the CarbonBlacks arrived.

Last edited:
I am starting to see the same intonation issues with some Aquila Reds on a concert uke.
They sounded great at first, but now after a couple of months, the intonation is suffering if you dont apply just the right amount of pressue on the string.

I am starting to see the same intonation issues with some Aquila Reds on a concert uke.
They sounded great at first, but now after a couple of months, the intonation is suffering if you dont apply just the right amount of pressue on the string.

It's my understanding that a couple of months is about the lifetime of most strings if you play daily for any length of time. If they were OK before, you may just need new strings. If they don't last as long as other strings, and that's a problem for you, that's a different issue (durability and cost).

I am glad I found this thread. I just replaced my Aquila Nylgut strings on my Kala SMC with Carbon Blacks. I now have a rattle that wasn't was't there before. Due to the fact that the Carbon blacks are smaller gauge than the regular Nylgut, I imagine my strings are vibrating about in the nut. Is this my problem?

The Kala was purchased from Hawaiian Music Supply and had the HMS set up before it was shipped out. Its kept in a case with a humidifier, since I basically live in an irrigated desert.

Carbon Black are definitely thinner strings. They have a nice feel and tension. I ran my set on Tenor for a week. Found a few issues ( on this particular tenor) with intonation at the 10-12 fret. I attribute it to gauge of strings. I had a set of the NEW AG x AQ Aldrine set of strings. They were much better on this particular tenor and now I'm really liking the AG x AQ set. They play great, feel good and have some warmth for strumming yet clarify when finger picked. I lay a finger pick, strum type of style. I like them. After trying, I looked for reviews and there is a nice Review that BAZ did. Strings are personal but I'd recommend to everyone if you haven't tried Carbon Black or AG x AQ then do so. I like AG x AQ better than the carbon black on my customer Moodyville tenor. Prior to this all I ever out on my Moodyville was fluorocarbon strings. Try these AG x AQ. YMMV

I ordered some of these strings after hearing a sound sample on a uke with these that I thought was pretty special sounding. I put them on a TODA tenor tuned re-entrant Bb. They replaced Southcoast ML, which have been a go-to string set for me. And while they've only been on three days as I write this, I think they are very promising. Intonation is excellent and I love their tone. Tension and thickness are very suitable for my tastes as I have not yet liked higher tension or thicker strings.

My wife just picked up her Kamaka soprano and said "Wow, this uke sounds better than it used to!" I put on the Carbon Blacks a couple months ago and she is just getting around to playing it.

I know there has been breakage issues but the tone on this uke is great with the Carbon Blacks.

I ordered some of these strings after hearing a sound sample on a uke with these that I thought was pretty special sounding. I put them on a TODA tenor tuned re-entrant Bb. They replaced Southcoast ML, which have been a go-to string set for me. And while they've only been on three days as I write this, I think they are very promising. Intonation is excellent and I love their tone. Tension and thickness are very suitable for my tastes as I have not yet liked higher tension or thicker strings.

I've now put these Carbonblacks on the TODA (re-entrant Bb), Collings UT3MSB (re-entrant Bb) and Blackbird Farallon (linear Bb). They all sound fantastic. I really, really like these strings. And as an added benefit, they settle pretty quickly vs. fluorocarbons.

I'm still going strong with the bari set I put on my cordoba in July. I've been playing it quite a bit at backyard parties and rehearsals with no issues. These are still very stable and resistant to temperature fluctuations, which was a welcome surprise during our hot weather in August. If you play much baritone you know this can be a problem.

I haven't noticed any intonation problems at all and I tend to fret pretty hard when I get going. Maybe this is more noticeable with short scale and lower tension? The wounds are a bit noisier than Southcoast polished wounds tend to be but nowhere near as bad a D'Addario titaniums. I haven't tried a tenor set but for the price I have found them a good value and will stay on this uke for now. I still prefer worths or southcoast on my Mya Moe bari. Perhaps it is the different tone woods?

I have had these on my main Kamaka soprano for about two weeks now. It’s the first time I have been disappointed by Aquila. I find them to be very dull sounding and intonation is a mess. Also, my C string sounds like a dead thud with these strings... after 2 weeks:/ The other strings aren’t faring much better. I will swith back to Reds. Maybe they just need time to work out the issues with the Carbon Blacks but for now they are defintely a no go for me.

I have had these on my main Kamaka soprano for about two weeks now. It’s the first time I have been disappointed by Aquila. I find them to be very dull sounding and intonation is a mess. Also, my C string sounds like a dead thud with these strings... after 2 weeks:/ The other strings aren’t faring much better. I will swith back to Reds. Maybe they just need time to work out the issues with the Carbon Blacks but for now they are defintely a no go for me.

Mimo wrote that the Blacks and Reds are essentially the same strings, just in a different color. I have a pack of Blacks, but still string my ukes with Reds because I haven't felt the need to experiment. The Reds work great for me, on all my ukes (except the D tuned vintage soprano).

Mimo wrote that the Blacks and Reds are essentially the same strings, just in a different color. I have a pack of Blacks, but still string my ukes with Reds because I haven't felt the need to experiment. The Reds work great for me, on all my ukes (except the D tuned vintage soprano).

I'm really surprised to read this. I have used Reds often but moved away from them because the formulation seems to be ever-changing. Nevertheless, the Carbonblacks, which I now have on three ukes feel very different, not only in texture but also diameter. Regardless, I have liked the Carbonblacks on 3 of the 4 instruments I tried them on. On the one I did not like them on (spruce/ebony), they dulled the higher register notes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom