Strings Aquila carbon black -new strings

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
Just found these strings on Aquila's website. They are Aquila's answer to flurocarbon strings. The Website does not say they are flurocarbon just Aquila's take on Fluor string. Brighter, fuller, etc. Anybody seen them for sale yet? Or anyone have chance to play them they. They look to be pretty New because this is the first I have seen about the rumoured new flurocarbon strings. I'm definitely going to give some a try.

Just found these strings on Aquila's website. They are Aquila's answer to flurocarbon strings. The Website does not say they are flurocarbon just Aquila's take on Fluor string. Brighter, fuller, etc. Anybody seen them for sale yet? Or anyone have chance to play them they. They look to be pretty New because this is the first I have seen about the rumoured new flurocarbon strings. I'm definitely going to give some a try.

FTFY: link missing - http://aquilacorde.com/modern-instrument-sets/6628/carbonblack/?lang=en

Didn't Kala recently announce some black strings as well? Hmmm....

Black package on these? https://kalabrand.com/collections/ukulele-strings/products/kala-fluorocarbon-ukulele-strings

Like NO info there, just FLUOROCARBON, might as well tell me it's 'chicken stuffings'

Color? NOPE. Gauges? NOPE. Tension? NOPE.

Makes me friggin' insane when no specs are published, both KALA and Aquila ask for money but with ZERO info other than price. Why do companies have to be SHAMED into giving details about their products?!?!?!?

What if I buy them (buying them blind, so yes, bad on me) and dont like them, do I get a refund? NOPE. and they get to KEEP my money.

It's FRAUD I tell you! DISHONESTY and FRAUD!!!!

/sarcasm (but with an element of truth)/ :confused:

Color? NOPE. Gauges? NOPE. Tension? NOPE.

Makes me friggin' insane when no specs are published,...... Why do companies have to be SHAMED into giving details about their products?!?!?!?

What if I buy them (buying them blind, so yes, bad on me) and dont like them, do I get a refund? NOPE. and they get to KEEP my money.

It's FRAUD I tell you! DISHONESTY and FRAUD!!!!

/sarcasm (but with an element of truth)/ :confused:

Don't be in such a hurry - wait for someone else to buy/try them first! :p;)

Well, when Booli gets his free K model, he can afford to buy all the strings (belong to us) and test/measure them all! :)

LOL - Maybe I should setup a gofundme page and beg for donations? :bowdown:

Hmm..........Just how many different sets of strings are there........ :rolleyes:

There are about a dozen different mainstream string-making/string-packaging companies worldwide, and each might offer strings made from all kinds of different material (polymer, differential or homogenous) compositions:

For example -
1. nylon
2. recified nylon
3. bionylon
4. nylgut
5. nylgut blends
6. actual old-school cattle intestine (cat-gut)
7. fluorocarbon
8. fluorocarbon blends
9. silver-plated copper
10. aluminum-plated copper
11. chrome flatwound or steel flatwound
12. brass-plated copper

[and all of these wound strings can have any of 8 different types of cores and strands, ranging from silk threads, nylon, fluoro, and other composites] and the list goes on, etc..., with wound and unwound sets for ukulele, so you are possibly looking at a permutation of (12 x 12 x 2) different string sets available (or something like that - too early before coffee for me to do math).

Many folks cannot tell the difference (either the feel under the fingers or lack of hearing perception) or just dont care, and play whatever is:

a) cheapest
b) easily available
c) the set all their friends like
d) whatever set (Jake, James Hill, Kimo Hussey) [insert famous uke player here] plays or endorses

Some folks like me, enjoy the choice and variety and are looking for a specific sound, feel, amount of sustain or tension that is NOT the same as what everyone else plays.

To each his own, and YMMV.

String choice is very subjective. We can all be 'correct' in our preferences, but what you like, may be different from what I like, especially on different instruments.

Personally, I find that string tension varies greatly across even the same brand but even with different materials, and the tension and diameter (linear density) greatly effect the tone, sustain as well as intonation.

But like I said, for many folks they don't pay attention to these things for whatever, personal reasons.

I do not judge anyone, but I enjoy the choices available to me at this time. :)

Last edited:
13. Brass wound over nylon strand
14. Aluminum wound over nylon strand
15. Nylon wound over nylon strings

As the saying goes, "One may debate anything but taste."

well, These carbonblack strings are very new. we had no time to write more in the website. The first informations were done just a week or so on before Christmas Then it was the Christmas time and all factory went closed for holiday. At present they are still not in distribuition. I can say just a few things: this is a blend of plastics with increased density. I cannot tell you more. they are a bit smoother than the red series; the gauges are a bit fuller than these ones just to reach the fluorocarbon traditional higher tensions,
The colour is a very very dark metallic grey that seem to be black but actually is a deep dark grey.
Bolli, would you to be the first in to try them ( no cost of course) ?
if you agree please send me a PM.
If you will be happy with the sample I will take you a lot of money in your next order... ah ah
take care
geetings from a VERY could Italy. Ah guys, this is NOT the son's Country...
Mimmo

Last edited:
well, These carbonblack strings are very new. we had no time to write more in the website. The first informations were done just a week or so on before Christmas Then it was the Christmas time and all factory went closed for holiday. At present they are still not in distribuition. I can say just a few things: this is a blend of plastics with increased density. I cannot tell you more. they are a bit smoother than the red series; the gauges are a bit fuller than these ones just to reach the fluorocarbon traditional higher tensions,
The colour is a very very dark metallic grey that seem to be black but actually is a deep dark grey.
Bolli, would you to be the first in to try them ( no cost of course) ?
if you agree please send me a PM.
If you will be happy with the sample I will take you a lot of money in your next order... ah ah
take care
geetings from a VERY could Italy. Ah guys, this is NOT the son's Country...
Mimmo

Hi Mimmo,

Thank you for kind and generous offer. I have sent you a PM.

Mahalo,

Booli

great dude
ah. is still holiday here. no one want go to job. ah ah
well mondayu i will send you these strings
take care
mahalo
Mimmo

No worries. You are very generous and kind. Please check your PM.

Ciao - Booli

I have received an email reply from Mimmo and sent him my address.

Mimmo has said he will send me a set of CarbonBlack strings for both tenor and concert scales.

I am eager to try them and very grateful for his kindness, which I never expected.

I will post a full review, with video and audio sound sample(s) recorded with some nice microphones.

I am a practitioner and believer in 'paying-it-forward', so hopefully my hands-on can benefit others and help them to decide if they too would like to try these CarbonBlack strings once available.

Kudos and huge mahalos to M3Ukulele for the eagle eye on Aquila's web site, and for making this thread, without which we'd all just be guessing and waiting (for some privileged dealers to get the strings for sale in the USA), yet my test results will be shared for the benefit of all great folks here on UU.

Stay Tuned! :)

Last edited:
Booli, looking forward to your review. Mimmo has always been a great supporter iof the ukulele, this forum and his product.

Top Bottom