Season 256 - At Seventeen

YorkSteve

Still strummin'
UU VIP
Reaction score

What music were you listening to when you were seventeen? Has it stayed with you? Or are you embarrassed or amused by it?

What I want to hear this week are the songs that you were listening to when you were seventeen. It might be songs that were around at that time, or maybe you were digging back into things that had been out for years.

OR

Write an original song about the things you were doing at seventeen. (Keep it clean...)

A maximum of three videos please, newly recorded for this season.

Ukulele prominent, but multi-tracking is OK if you want to do it.

Season starts 00:01 Sunday 8th Hawaii time, ends 24:00 Sunday 15th.

There may be a prize.

The playlist is here.

P.S. I do realise that some people may be sensitive about giving such obvious clues about their age. So my advice is – tell a big fat lie. If you are the wrong side of forty but insist that at seventeen you were listening to nothing but One Direction, we will believe you.

Very imaginative theme! When I was 17, I was loading the wax cylinders onto the phonograph to play some Jolson! ;)

Most of the stuff I listened to ended with " ... and continuo."

This is a fantastic theme, Steve. Look forward to the entries!

A deliciously clever and diabolical theme Steve. I have a general awareness of the types of music I was listening to in 1971-1972 but How Hip was I back then? An important issue to any 17 year old! The time lag factor comes into play for me. Iam a little too young to be and old hippy but I Remember "Woodstock" the movie and the impact that music had on me. But was I cutting edge or a year behind the times back then? This should be a fun season.

A deliciously clever and diabolical theme Steve. I have a general awareness of the types of music I was listening to in 1971-1972 but How Hip was I back then? An important issue to any 17 year old! The time lag factor comes into play for me. Iam a little too young to be and old hippy but I Remember "Woodstock" the movie and the impact that music had on me. But was I cutting edge or a year behind the times back then? This should be a fun season.

Exactly my era too Tommy. I was in a group for a short while in 1972. High school friend and a couple of older guys just out of school. We played some CCR I recall. I think the Beatles You Say it's Your Birthday was one we did too.

Interesting that a lot of 255 will be coming back up this week for me. I was in the womb!

I am certainly not embarrassed by any music I liked then as I still like it now.
I did almost throw out all my Cat Stevens records when he spoke carelessly about how it might be OK to put creative people to death for annoying his religion....

Last edited:
17? Not 16, not 18, not 21 but 17. Hmmmmmmmm, it makes me wonder.

Should be a fantastic SOTU, Steve! As long as the power stays on, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow here in the Eastern U.S.! We'll get a lot of strummin' done.

Well I've got a song that fits that I've been meaning to do for a while. Then again, I might get distracted. I found a song that I already knew how to play for season 255, but it was either practice and record it or go snorkeling in this beautiful weather.... Snorkeling won! I've got great footage of lots of tiny fish, but no John Lennon recording.

I've never followed trends or listened to music just because the masses were listening to it..........I've always listened to Elvis since as long as I remember.
At 17 (might have been 16) I hung around with a fella nicknamed 'Monkey' who played slap bass in a rockabilly band, together we travelled from London to Dawlish in Devon to collect his mate 'John Dumper' aka Johnny Earle who wanted to move to London and join the band. We all become good mates over the years but the showbiz thing didn't work out for Monkey but John went on to have a fantastic musical career, TV, record deal etc spanning over 25 yrs and even regularly toured with Elvis's backing band the Jordonaires. Here he is way back then with the Jordonaires on a British TV show of that time.

Last edited:
Then we all go and get older grrrrrrrrrr Lol .......

Last edited:
jon was listening to a lot of Aussie underground bands and American alt/country.
and michelle shocked.

oops!!! edit to add that we also learnt another Michelle Shocked song today
but we ended up recording it with two guitars instead. Here's the link if you're interested!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WyyzcMJnXA

Last edited:
oh, and thank you for hosting this week Steve! :)
this one...we just turned the camera on and were going to record an improvised song, but then we started talking and it went somewhere else.
(free TLW CD for anyone who made it through the 12 minutes haha!!! :p )

Seventeen for me was that time between classic Rock n Roll and the Beatles - so you can guess my age if the grey hairs don't give it away. Tops were Everley Bros in their Warner days, Roy Orbison was getting into his stride and loads of Buddy Holly compilations. There are a few British acts who I don't think really made it across the pond, (though some might have done later) which I might look up for old time's sake.

Turned 17 towards the end of 1971.
Tea for the Tillerman came out the year before but the songs were getting airplay like mad for a couple of years.
I really liked Cat Stevens. Still do.

1971 we moved from Sydney to Newcastle. New school for year 11 and 12.
Here's my class of 1972 I think. Still 17 for most of that year. That Karmann Ghia was bought for my mum but I drove it mostly. It would be worth about $30K if we still had it. That's me standing up and my mate Darcy in the boot. I don't think my shirt ever stayed tucked in.
IMG_1059.jpg

Seventeen for me was that time between classic Rock n Roll and the Beatles - so you can guess my age if the grey hairs don't give it away.

I reckon Philip Larkin has the answer.

Philip Larkin in This Be The Verse said:
... 1963
Between the Chatterley ban and the Beatles' first lp.

Off to a great start, especially the Jon & Joo chat show. Well worth watching.

I will be adding my comments to the videos themselves, but not duplicating them on this thread - too much cutting & pasting & scope for errors.

If anyone finds that their video does not get added to the playlist, just shout. I'm good at getting things wrong.

And don't forget we still have nearly 24 hours of Season 255 to go.

Top Bottom