Season 256 - At Seventeen

WE INTERRUPT THIS TOPIC TO BRING YOU THE FOLLOWING ANNOUNCEMENT:

In the Seasonistas Play Other Instruments section, I have just posted a video of me playing a song I wrote in 1973 (on a 12 string guitar) on my newly acquired Columbian Cuatro (details of what one of those are when they are at home on the link).

I hope you can spare a few minutes to give it a listen.

AND NOW BACK TO YOUR REGULAR SCHEDULING

Be glad to go check it out Berni :)

Here is my submission for this week. I worked hard on that instrumental part!! So, so many song I really wanted to do but could not find the time. Here is a list of a few of them...in case you are interested. I was 17 in 1981-82. Some of my favorite songs were, Redneck Girl by the Bellamy Brothers, Blue Moon With a Heartache by Roseanne Cash, Busted by John Conlee, Heavenly Bodies by Earl Thomas Conley and other Country favorites. Then there was what was on popular radio...Magic by America, Heat of the Moment by Asia, Key Largo by Bertie Higgins, Never Been to Me by Charlene, oh and bands like the Go Go's and Fleetwood Mac. Some good music in those years. Now, here is my cover of "The Sand and the Foam" (love the lyrics in this one). He was...is? a great songwriter. I put this together with Garage Band and used some piano with my vocals, plus strummin' the uke and picking the uke and figuring out that interlude on the uke. Quite time consuming. Then I put together a video and for some reason the music track sounded awful. I had to upload it straight from my phone and then add it into the video to get a good sound. Whew. Worth it though. I need to keep working on the interlude and keep it in my minds pocket! Thanks for the week of remembering songs from when I was 17 as I took a lot of time just listening for a change, loved it! :)

<TCK>When I was seventeen I didn't care much for the music that was coming out at the time. I listened to a bunch of classic rock and was starting to get into reggae beyond Marley. in 1987 I went to visit my dad who was working for a year as a teacher in Leiscter (sp?) in England. It was my first taste of culture shock. A Snickers bar wasn't called Snickers over there. Everything I listened to, which consisted of three tapes, over there imprinted my experience over the music. Overtime I hear those three albums I think of England. Here is a song from one of those albums.</TCK>

Scooting in under the wire with a cover of Frente's Bizarre Love Triangle, which itself is a cover of New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle.

I was not a huge Frente fan, but this song got a lot of play at the record store where I worked when I was 17.

<TCK>When I was seventeen I didn't care much for the music that was coming out at the time. I listened to a bunch of classic rock and was starting to get into reggae beyond Marley. in 1987 I went to visit my dad who was working for a year as a teacher in Leiscter (sp?) in England. It was my first taste of culture shock. A Snickers bar wasn't called Snickers over there. Everything I listened to, which consisted of three tapes, over there imprinted my experience over the music. Overtime I hear those three albums I think of England. Here is a song from one of those albums.</TCK>

*Leicester : -)

And if you'd only come over a couple of years later, you'd have avoided all that culture shock. The Mars Corporation rebranded our Marathons in 1990. It was the beginnings of globalisation as we know it today ; -)

92daab85c52fa7365745d7312d8b0353.jpg

Edit: For the record, I'm only smiling with, not at, UkeDaddy over his spelling query. 'Leicester' is one of the most notorious of those horrible English place-names where spelling and pronunciation have almost nothing to do with one another.
'Leicester': spelt with three syllables that individually compose 'Lye-sess-ter'; but collectively, are pronounced 'Lester' : -o
I hear tourists on the Tube struggling with it every day : -)

Last edited:
In Between Dreams

When I was seventeen I was not sure what I wanted to do. I got glasses in 5th grade so my childhood dream of being a pilot and astronaut was gone. It was a pretty crushing blow to me. I drifted for years after. I was reading Tolkien and anything about King Arthur. I wanted to be a Knight, but not really practical. My first love had gone to college, and I got "the phone call" a month before I turned 17. We did get back together eventually, and got married When I was 23. &#55357;&#56832; 28 years and counting!

I didn't find my career until 29 ( hand engraving ) and didn't find the Uke until 45. ( I was writing some poetry at 17, and wrote drum parts for my High School drum line.)

So when I saw the topic, the phrase " In Bewteen Dreams " came to mind. That's where I was at 17.

Last edited:
Just checking in before I go out for the day. Another heap of entries and another debut. Yay! I will be back to listen tonight or Monday.

Managed this quick take before the season ended. Please ignore the noises off (again).

I won’t be able to do another one for this season (sorry Steve) so this will have to represent my taste at the time.

I would have liked to do all four verses but since I didn’t know there were four when I was seventeen I guess that’s ok.

Phew. Caught up with the latest bunch of comments. Not sure if any more will creep in under the bar, but I will be back tomorrow to see.

Everyone, thank you so much for all your kind words on my first youtube video! I did have a little head start since I play the guitar, but I'm having even more fun learning the ukulele. I've picked out a new song to learn for this coming week. I think I'm going to have fun here! :D

Getting one in under the wire. An attempt at translating more beautiful pop-y guitar noise from the mid-90's to a single ukulele. Superchunk kind of fell off my radar as a band after the mid- to late-90's, but as the founders of Merge Records they are responsible for getting a lot of Records by other artists I enjoy out into the world.

Thanks for a great season season Steve. Always fun to take the time machine out for a spin.

Well I'm coming in late as always. I had a hard time getting the the strum right for this, and was distracted by ordering a new Uke.

When I was seventeen I graduated from High School and it was a different age then. JFK was President and the cold war was on. I decided to join the Army, rather than be drafted and get sent to Germany. Everyone from my home town seemed to be sent to Germany when they joined the Army.

I didn't pay much attention to music then. Music was for dancing in my opinion, I didn't sing or play an instrument but I loved to dance. I listened to Surf radio and tapped my feet, that was about the depth of my interest then. My family watched Lawrence Welk and the Grand Ol' Opera so I was familiar with Johnny Cash and some of the other country western stars of the period. I didn't get interested in music seriously until I got a stereo while I was in Viet Nam in '66, and then I just sent it home.

I picked Ring of Fire as it's only three chords and came out in 1963. Mostly to get it into the seasons because I want to participate and learning new songs is hard for me. SOTU has been good for me even though I miss a lot of weeks because I can't get the song up in time. This one has a few boo boos but I think my singing has improved a lot since May, when I started SOTU. I'm looking forward to #257 as some of the songs I worked on but never completed in time will play well around the Campfire.

My teenage years were the most difficult years of my life by far. But music got me through. My favorite band back then was the Replacements. Here's the closest they ever came to a radio hit, the single they released a month or so before my seventeenth birthday.

Thanks, Steve, for giving us a chance to look back this Season. And thanks, everyone, for sharing both musical and personal memories <3

Lazy Days and Rock n Roll - Original Song performed by The Racket Downstairs

Howdy Seasonistas!

This is a song that I wrote last year (for Turtledrum's Long Island Season) about being a teenager and listening to music (and monkeys!). I have been wanting to re-record it with my band The Racket Downstairs, and this seemed like a good opportunity. It is the most complicated multi-track I have done with Garageband, but the Human band all came through for me and delivered excellent performances in record time! Then my wife Irene shot compiled and edited this killer video. It's got fire! it's got girls! it's got monkeys!!! :)
(lyrics and chords in the YouTube description)

What a way to finish - if you haven't watched Manfrog's entry, give yourself a treat.

BONG!!! And that was midnight in Hawaii, so Season 256 is closed.

Thanks to everyone - I will be back later today, or more likely tomorrow, with some sort of finishing video.:shaka:

Now head on over to Linda's campfire in Season 257.

And here I am, with the epilogue. Thanks to all who took part, and another big "Helloooo" to our debutants this week. May you come back often.

Well done to Frisbee Fred for being the luckiest man in the hat.

I really enjoyed this week being less restrictive than most. Lots of really good performances and it shows the range of Seasonistas ages.

Thanks Steve for hosting a very fun week.

Top Bottom