Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: City of Stars from La La Land

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Pedro, CA
    Posts
    3,902

    Default City of Stars from La La Land

    I saw "La La Land" this week (loved it!) and can't get the song "City of Stars" out of my head. I was hoping to find someone had uploaded a ukulele tablature of it on the Internet (preferably low g) but no luck, just chords. By the way, side note, but I absolutely HATE it when people call chord sheets "tabs."

    I did find a good guitar tab version at https://youtu.be/laT5NchKQKo and figure I may end up trying to transpose that to ukulele. But on the off chance that anyone out there has a tab already, and wants be my hero and save me a few hundred hours, I figured I would ask. Anyone have a uke tab for this song?
    PO`IPU NO KA OI!
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Wiwinani"

    Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,476

    Default

    Not yet, but when I find I spare few hundred hours myself I plan to have one (for low G). I had the same reaction - loved the movie, couldn't let go of the song - and after obsessing over it and sort of figuring out chord arpeggios that worked, I finally bought the piano sheet music and will be working from that. If the piano version will help you, let me know and I'll send it your way

    Meanwhile - if you haven't seen these, take a listen:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgBRxfjEzZ0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKkF9ronLi8

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Pedro, CA
    Posts
    3,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    Not yet, but when I find I spare few hundred hours myself I plan to have one (for low G). I had the same reaction - loved the movie, couldn't let go of the song - and after obsessing over it and sort of figuring out chord arpeggios that worked, I finally bought the piano sheet music and will be working from that. If the piano version will help you, let me know and I'll send it your way

    Meanwhile - if you haven't seen these, take a listen:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgBRxfjEzZ0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKkF9ronLi8
    Ooh I really like those versions, nice. I managed to copy down the tab of the guitar version, I'm going to fiddle with that one for a while and see how it goes. Let me know how your arrangement from the piano sheet music comes along. PS Happy belated New Year to you!
    PO`IPU NO KA OI!
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Wiwinani"

    Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedwahine11 View Post
    Ooh I really like those versions, nice. I managed to copy down the tab of the guitar version, I'm going to fiddle with that one for a while and see how it goes. Let me know how your arrangement from the piano sheet music comes along. PS Happy belated New Year to you!
    Thanks, and to you too!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    336

    Default

    I loved the movie as well! If you guys figure out the tab or find one, please share. I'd greatly appreciate it!
    Super Tenor
    Kinnard Kimo Hussey Torrified Spruce/Master Grade Koa

    Tenor
    Mya-Moe #1976 Master Grade Koa Classic

    Concert
    Kamaka Tiki Gold Label || Pohaku Koa/Maple Concert 10

    Long Neck Soprano
    Asturias Spruce/Rosewood || Gerard Guasch #14 Mahogany Pineapple

    Soprano
    Romero Creations XS Soprano Spruce/Koa

    Sopranino
    Koaloha Noah

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,476

    Default

    A friend pointed me toward this today (thanks Ell!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6w0X46JWgU

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    Oh my. I'm flattered these were your go-to choices for La La Land, glad you enjoyed them. Sadly, I do not have a tab for these, nor do I know how to document tablature...
    If it helps, though, the way I went about doing these was by ear–listening to the original over and over again. I did not change much from the original chords. Once I had the chords down I simply stacked the melody on top. One personal touch I added was to play Ryan's part on the lower frets and Emma's on high, to recreate the duet feeling

    If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help out. Good luck with the transcription. And if I come across a tab from Korea (where both La La Land and Ukulele are popular) I'll let you know.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swinglele View Post
    Oh my. I'm flattered these were your go-to choices for La La Land, glad you enjoyed them. Sadly, I do not have a tab for these, nor do I know how to document tablature...
    If it helps, though, the way I went about doing these was by ear–listening to the original over and over again. I did not change much from the original chords. Once I had the chords down I simply stacked the melody on top. One personal touch I added was to play Ryan's part on the lower frets and Emma's on high, to recreate the duet feeling

    If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help out. Good luck with the transcription. And if I come across a tab from Korea (where both La La Land and Ukulele are popular) I'll let you know.
    Thanks so much for the response, that's more or less what I'm doing too - working from the chords and figuring out the melody. But I'm slow If you do find a tab from Korea please post a link, thanks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Hello, I was able to find a high quality tab from Korea, under this link (click on the pdf file name)
    http://affettomnc.com/tabs/?uid=169&...ument&pageid=1

    It is on a different key, but sounds just as good. Enjoy!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Pedro, CA
    Posts
    3,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swinglele View Post
    Hello, I was able to find a high quality tab from Korea, under this link (click on the pdf file name)
    http://affettomnc.com/tabs/?uid=169&...ument&pageid=1

    It is on a different key, but sounds just as good. Enjoy!
    Thank you soooooo much, I look forward to learning it.
    PO`IPU NO KA OI!
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Wiwinani"

    Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •