Martin Centennial Ukuleles, very limited

Django

Reaction score
Martin will be producing 100 each of a #1 and #3 Centennial Ukulele for 2017. The #1 is Mexican made and the #3 is a Mahogany #3 with a kite on the head. I don't know if they will add more as the year goes on or when and where these limited ukuleles will be available. I was hoping for a #4 to finally happen, but not at this time anyway.

Found a picture of the style 3 but not the 1. I think it will be hard to get either.

I am glad that today I just found an amazing deal on a used Martin 0XK before the demand for Martin ukes goes up after their NAMM showcase...

I can now cross 'owning a Martin uke' off my wishlist. :)

Yes, I know that the 0XK is their lowest model and not even wood but made from HPL, and that's fine by me, which means I can play it and not worry about humidification (which I find to be a worry bordering on paranoia for my solid-wood ukes).

Yes, I know that the 0XK is their lowest model and not even wood but made from HPL, and that's fine by me, which means I can play it and not worry about humidification (which I find to be a worry bordering on paranoia for my solid-wood ukes).

Yes, the worrying spoils the fun. 90% of my uke time lately is spent with the Famous/Kiwaya laminate, for that reason (even though I manage to keep humidity at 40-45% in the living room usually, the moment I leave the room's door open for a few minutes, or open the window briefly, the humidity level drops into the low 30s. Not worried about my solid top guitar, so I think I'd be fine with solid top ukes also, but the solids...

Well, 100 of each is ridiculous for an anniversary model. Two hundred people who'll probably either be lucky or spend a lot will feel they took part in the anniversary, and the rest who might have liked to buy one will feel left out. Seems to me this would be easy money that stays on the table if that is really all Martin will do.

That Style 3 reminds me of the Kamoa 500 series:

500_S_grande.jpg

https://kamoaukuleles.myshopify.com/collections/kamoa-e3-sopranos/products/kamoa-500-series-soprano

I wonder if this is a chicken vs. egg kinda thing...

The quantity is a bit of a shame, but 100 each of a 100 year model makes some sense I guess. Elderly told me that dealers will be chosen by lottery. It is too bad that they didn't make 100 of a very special model and then a larger quantity of a Centennial branded, more standard model. I guess that this will make the 100 more special in 50 or so years.

Last edited:
$600 isn't a bad price for the model 1, IF you can fine one. I'm happy with my 0XK, and if I were in the market for another Martin, it probably would be the bamboo (also laminate).

Wonder if the 1 is laminate? The Martin site for 3 says "genuine" mahogany, but the 1 doesn't.

Interesting.

The model 1 has no fret dots. I still have my first new S-O soprano (2010/2011) up in the closet and I stopped playing it due to no fret markers. Call me lazy but I need fret dots.

I do like the new 2017 Bamboo though. hehe

Petey

Re: The posts about HPL (OXK ukes) and humidity:

I used to have an HPL little Martin guitar. I e-mailed Martin's customer service asking if I could skip the humidifier since it's HPL. Their response was that it should still be humidified, when needed, because the internal bracing is made of solid wood.
I'm guessing the bracing on the ukes is also solid wood. Someone else should ask them and see if they get the same answer they gave me. I'd be curious to know...
I'm not sure why they wouldn't just make the braces HPL too, if they want to increase durability...but maybe that's not the main purpose of the HPL anyway...maybe it's mostly just to lower costs.

I wasn't a fan of the OXK I tried (mostly the feel of it), but I might've just not been in the right mood or something. I did very much like the T1K ukes from them I tried. I thought the C1K was a good, solid instrument too. Their higher end instruments are more than I want to pay for a uke, so I haven't even attempted to try them out. It's good to see them keeping on with the ukes and expanding their line.

Last edited:
Interesting.

The model 1 has no fret dots. I still have my first new S-O soprano (2010/2011) up in the closet and I stopped playing it due to no fret markers. Call me lazy but I need fret dots.

I do like the new 2017 Bamboo though. hehe

Petey
A silver sharpie could fix that. :D
Also, I've added fret dots before to the side of a board using a small drill bit and some white plastic from Stewmac...It wasn't terribly hard if you're handy.

A silver sharpie could fix that. :D...

There are also semi-permanent rub-on decals you can get from InlaySticker.com that come in a whole wide variety of styles if one is not comfortable using a sharpie on the precious Martin uke's fretboard...and they look pretty nice to me...

see here: http://inlaysticker.com/ for the main web site, and https://www.inlaystickers.com/ for their non-Amazon/non-eBay direct storefront.

A shame they are limiting quantities. They have the whole year to make them and I'm sure lots of Martin fans would like to have one. Lottery for dealer will just push up prices. I like the additional Ony in clear bit I also like the colours. Wish they had either centennial tenor it HPL teno, even started mixing HPL back and sides with solid tops like the X Series guitars. I think Martin should start pushing the material combinations in ukulele. I guess ukulele not as important today as when it saved the company all those years ago.

Wonder if the 1 is laminate? The Martin site for 3 says "genuine" mahogany, but the 1 doesn't.

I doubt it, Martin doesn't make laminates other than the HPL line.

There are also semi-permanent rub-on decals you can get from InlaySticker.com that come in a whole wide variety of styles if one is not comfortable using a sharpie on the precious Martin uke's fretboard...and they look pretty nice to me...

see here: http://inlaysticker.com/ for the main web site, and https://www.inlaystickers.com/ for their non-Amazon/non-eBay direct storefront.
Thanks for sharing that. I really like some of those too....I noticed some examples of them being used on headstocks and instrument bodies too. It seems maybe one could install those and then clear coat over them for a more permanent install too.

On another note, I'm another one that wonders why Martin hasn't put out an HPL tenor or concert uke.

Thanks for sharing that. I really like some of those too....I noticed some examples of them being used on headstocks and instrument bodies too. It seems maybe one could install those and then clear coat over them for a more permanent install too.

On another note, I'm another one that wonders why Martin hasn't put out an HPL tenor or concert uke.

No worries - glad to help :)

While burning time on YT, I came across this video, which may be eye-candy for some folks, showing some Martin vintage ukes, and may serve to whet one's appetite for the anniversary models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9W2ZhgfTXw

Top Bottom