Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin Centennial Ukuleles, very limited

$600 isn't a bad price for the model 1, IF you can fine one. I'm happy with my 0XK, and if I were in the market for another Martin, it probably would be the bamboo (also laminate).
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana PCK-25G pineapple mahogany concert Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Koa soprano Flea (!!!) Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Wonder if the 1 is laminate? The Martin site for 3 says "genuine" mahogany, but the 1 doesn't.
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana PCK-25G pineapple mahogany concert Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Koa soprano Flea (!!!) Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Interesting.

The model 1 has no fret dots. I still have my first new S-O soprano (2010/2011) up in the closet and I stopped playing it due to no fret markers. Call me lazy but I need fret dots.

I do like the new 2017 Bamboo though. hehe

Petey

Re: The posts about HPL (OXK ukes) and humidity:

I used to have an HPL little Martin guitar. I e-mailed Martin's customer service asking if I could skip the humidifier since it's HPL. Their response was that it should still be humidified, when needed, because the internal bracing is made of solid wood.
    I'm guessing the bracing on the ukes is also solid wood. Someone else should ask them and see if they get the same answer they gave me. I'd be curious to know...
    I'm not sure why they wouldn't just make the braces HPL too, if they want to increase durability...but maybe that's not the main purpose of the HPL anyway...maybe it's mostly just to lower costs.

I wasn't a fan of the OXK I tried (mostly the feel of it), but I might've just not been in the right mood or something. I did very much like the T1K ukes from them I tried. I thought the C1K was a good, solid instrument too. Their higher end instruments are more than I want to pay for a uke, so I haven't even attempted to try them out. It's good to see them keeping on with the ukes and expanding their line.
    Last edited by jer; 01-09-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyHoudini View Post
    Interesting.

The model 1 has no fret dots. I still have my first new S-O soprano (2010/2011) up in the closet and I stopped playing it due to no fret markers. Call me lazy but I need fret dots.

I do like the new 2017 Bamboo though. hehe

Petey
    A silver sharpie could fix that.
    Also, I've added fret dots before to the side of a board using a small drill bit and some white plastic from Stewmac...It wasn't terribly hard if you're handy.

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    A silver sharpie could fix that. ...
    There are also semi-permanent rub-on decals you can get from InlaySticker.com that come in a whole wide variety of styles if one is not comfortable using a sharpie on the precious Martin uke's fretboard...and they look pretty nice to me...

see here: http://inlaysticker.com/ for the main web site, and https://www.inlaystickers.com/ for their non-Amazon/non-eBay direct storefront.

A shame they are limiting quantities. They have the whole year to make them and I'm sure lots of Martin fans would like to have one. Lottery for dealer will just push up prices. I like the additional Ony in clear bit I also like the colours. Wish they had either centennial tenor it HPL teno, even started mixing HPL back and sides with solid tops like the X Series guitars. I think Martin should start pushing the material combinations in ukulele. I guess ukulele not as important today as when it saved the company all those years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    Wonder if the 1 is laminate? The Martin site for 3 says "genuine" mahogany, but the 1 doesn't.
    I doubt it, Martin doesn't make laminates other than the HPL line.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    There are also semi-permanent rub-on decals you can get from InlaySticker.com that come in a whole wide variety of styles if one is not comfortable using a sharpie on the precious Martin uke's fretboard...and they look pretty nice to me...

see here: http://inlaysticker.com/ for the main web site, and https://www.inlaystickers.com/ for their non-Amazon/non-eBay direct storefront.
    Thanks for sharing that. I really like some of those too....I noticed some examples of them being used on headstocks and instrument bodies too. It seems maybe one could install those and then clear coat over them for a more permanent install too.

On another note, I'm another one that wonders why Martin hasn't put out an HPL tenor or concert uke.

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    Thanks for sharing that. I really like some of those too....I noticed some examples of them being used on headstocks and instrument bodies too. It seems maybe one could install those and then clear coat over them for a more permanent install too.

On another note, I'm another one that wonders why Martin hasn't put out an HPL tenor or concert uke.
    No worries - glad to help

While burning time on YT, I came across this video, which may be eye-candy for some folks, showing some Martin vintage ukes, and may serve to whet one's appetite for the anniversary models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9W2ZhgfTXw

Thread Information