Martin Centennial Ukuleles, very limited

Just a little update for fellow Martin fans: did you all hear that both Dick Boak and Diane Ponzio are leaving Martin? They're both "retiring from Martin" to persue other passions. They were great ambassadors for the company.

Nice! I thought the centennial S1 has no fret markers -

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/limited-editions/style-1-centennial-uke/

I seems like a cock up to me - that was one of the little differences it offered.

Edit - I am refering to the images post of the centennial style1 on the previous page.

At the very beggining I thought Style 1 doesn't have fret markers but In this video at NAMM 2017 they showed the fret markers in the Style 1... https://youtu.be/I_lQ6ppDmO4

At the very beggining I thought Style 1 doesn't have fret markers but In this video at NAMM 2017 they showed the fret markers in the Style 1... https://youtu.be/I_lQ6ppDmO4

I had no idea. Thank you for the clip.

For me as strange as it seems no fret markers seemed appealing as the first Martins in 1917 had none too.

That's something to say 'yes' to![/QUOTE

looked at a few dealer pages and they all use the official martin image with no fretmarkers and I am curious if they are going to send out all 100 ukes like the above.

If not the above uke could maybe become an object of interest in the future to some collectors? (one of a couple released by mistake could be worth mentioning in a book at some point?). Or vise versa if there are only a couple without markers...who knows...

If you pull the trigger, make sure you know how to check for a neck reset. I bought a new Mexican made Martin T1K from Musician's Friend and assumed it was well made because it was a Martin. After the return period expired, someone with more experience pointed out that the neck was "warped". I took it to a local Martin-certified luther who told me that it needed a neck reset. Martin does not cover repair of neck resets (they consider that a "setup"). Forewarned is forearmed.

My Centennial #3 arrived today. The head has a nice, figured Mahogany veneer. The build quality is excellent and the set-up is perfect for me. The tone is surprisingly vintage. The kite and head make it distinctive. The neck block identifes it as a Centennial model. Very nice player. One hundred years in the making.

My Centennial #3 arrived today. The head has a nice, figured Mahogany veneer. The build quality is excellent and the set-up is perfect for me. The tone is surprisingly vintage. The kite and head make it distinctive. The neck block identifes it as a Centennial model. Very nice player. One hundred years in the making.
own a special instrument is a real pleasure ! one of a 100series is a great pleasure ! find one in second hand is a real great pleasure to ...
hi and enjoy whit this kite ... about the # ???
mine is the #60 but not a kite ... "une marguerite" ;-)

Having owned Martin guitars and Ukuleles since my first new Martin acquisition some 14 years ago (wow time goes by so fast), I can firmly say I have never had any disappointment or remorse with any of my Martin purchases. Over the last few days, I have been considering adding another soprano Uke and have looked and various brands, models and features. In the end, I was driven by my positive past experience with Martin and the appeal of the clean understated look, great feel and superb tone that the style 0 and style 1 Martin Ukes provide, sans bling, and have been very satisfying to play and hear.

While my desire to continue to add more vintage Martin Ukes has not waned, today after all that consideration I decided to purchase another contemporary S1 to replace the last one I (regrettably) traded away to offset the purchase of my '60s Martin S-0. But I also have been closely considering and eventually selected as my next soprano the Martin Style 1 Centennial soprano. I hope to be able to post up some pics, a video and a detailed review in a few days after I receive it.

Last edited:
C1.jpgC2.jpgC3.jpgC4.jpg

Here are a few photos of my #3 Centennial. I will attempt to get a sound sample this weekend. Other than the Kite and figured head overlay, it looks like a #3 Mahogany Martin, and that is really what it should look like. First class build, great playability and tone. I had wanted a Mahogany 3 to go along with the 3 Cherry and 3K, so this was perfect and I got it for just a little more than the Mahogany 3's street price, so all is good.

Here are a few photos of my #3 Centennial.

That's very classy looking, Django! Wow! What a nice addition to an already terrific group of Ukes! Any more pics like that my wallet may suffer collateral damage!:p

Enjoy!

View attachment 99483View attachment 99484View attachment 99485View attachment 99486

Here are a few photos of my #3 Centennial. I will attempt to get a sound sample this weekend. Other than the Kite and figured head overlay, it looks like a #3 Mahogany Martin, and that is really what it should look like. First class build, great playability and tone. I had wanted a Mahogany 3 to go along with the 3 Cherry and 3K, so this was perfect and I got it for just a little more than the Mahogany 3's street price, so all is good.

Congrats on your purchase! I, maybe one of the few around here who actually has a new Martin style 3 mahogany that I bought about 3-4 years back. I never did a review of it but it looks a lot like the #3 Centennial. Seems like the same beast except for the headstock changes. Check my photo from tonight.

Style2.jpg

BTW: I have a 3 cherry but no 3k.

Petey

@Django: fine Uke ! I think it's take a couple of year to have the best sound of a real new instrument so Enjoy !
@Pete: Ton 3C doit être au top maintenant ;-)

Please ignore the post above. I used Soundcloud and after my tracks play, an obscene track plays. I will make a You Tube video instead.

Top Bottom