Got any cool uke patina to show off?

yook

Reaction score
Anybody notice their ukes developing a nice patina and changing color over time? I feel like my solid mahogany Kiwaya KTS-4 has gotten darker, but I don't have the pictures from when it was brand new to tell for sure.

70 year old tone patina!

a top 3.jpg

83 years of patina...
IMG_1524.jpg

This seems like a very particular niche of uke p***...

My Opio has developed patina and turned darker, too. Shows I play it a lot.

The OXK has it on the morado fingerboard, looks like I eat potato chips before I play.

What I notice about poly finishes over laminate is that they tend to cloud or get a little milky looking when exposed over time in quick changing temperatures.
This is a bad thing in guitar circles maybe even in uke circles although it doesn't affect the sound or functionality of the instrument. I'm one of the few who like it.
I'll take a pic of my 22s that I deliberately kept in the car during the rainy season in chilly air and in warm indoor air and now it has developed some cloudiness on the laminate rosewood. I'll show it soon.

The paint is worn off of the first few positions on the fingerboard of my Mahalo. Does that count? :confused:

Too right it does! Same thing has happened on my black Brüko - it makes it look more lived-in. It did occur to me that it might confer greater kudos if some of the higher fret positions were worn too!

What I notice about poly finishes over laminate is that they tend to cloud or get a little milky looking when exposed over time in quick changing temperatures.
This is a bad thing in guitar circles maybe even in uke circles although it doesn't affect the sound or functionality of the instrument. I'm one of the few who like it.
I'll take a pic of my 22s that I deliberately kept in the car during the rainy season in chilly air and in warm indoor air and now it has developed some cloudiness on the laminate rosewood. I'll show it soon.

Here are thumbnails. Without flash to show how it is actually really subtle in person. You can see my kitchen trash can in there oops.

Attachments

• 20170112_141342.jpg
    20170112_141342.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20170112_141313.jpg
    20170112_141313.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 63
Here's some cool uke case patina. Got this case strictly as a safe shipping container. Took vinegar and aluminum foil to knock off the rusty flakes on the hinges. Thought about painting the hinges, but I like the worn, semi-rusty patina look of them. So, I'm just going to clear coat the hinges as is. They work fine and look cool.
attachment.php

attachment.php

2017-01-13 01.00.17.jpg2017-01-13 01.00.38.jpg

Nice old case hinges, Hodge! Agree with your idea to clear-coat the rust.

Here's patina (and Jake sig) on 40's era Roy Smeck
IMG_5491.jpg

Farmers market uke.jpg I saw this at the farmer's market last year.

Probably not what you had in mind, and artificially created, but cool none-the-less. Used to have a chrome finish that got damaged, stripped, and an antique-like, bronze finish applied.

View attachment 96919

Top Bottom