Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Your story: how ukulele found you?

My Dad was quite musical, but I almost never saw him play. He was on TV as a kid playing piano accordian, there was a guitar in the wardrobe he never touched, but give him an instrument and play him some music and he'd be playing by ear in no time.
    I don't believe I have inherited this talent.

My Nan on mum's side always had organs/keyboards. She'd teach us stuff, and whenever she bought a new instrument we'd get the old one, along with some of her old music books. I had a basic idea of how to play as a kid, and in high school I took a keyboard class and for a while I could even play two handed, but that's gone now.

I didn't really touch instruments once I moved out of home, until a few years ago I was talking to my brother and said I always wanted to play guitar, and he gave me one.
    Turns out all you need to do to learn is get a guitar and start playing. Who knew?

One day I was in a friend's car, she's a music teacher, and she had a uke on the back seat. I started playing with it and somehow actually managed to play a little Nirvana, without knowing any of the chords or notes or anything. (Couldn't do it again!)
    So one day while browsing electric guitars I saw the cheap $30 ukes in the window and went home with one.

Plenty of fun on that, and then I started dating this girl who played uke. We went to a uke jam for a date, and I heard just how terrible my toy uke sounded when surrounded by decent instruments, so my Gretsch came along just after that.

I've now got the Gretsch, my old cheapie, my acoustic and an electric guitar, a melodica and a harmonica. Sold my mandolin because I needed the cash when out of work.

I find there's some songs that are easier on guitar and some are easier on uke, but the uke comes out more just because it's smaller and easier to grab.

Well, As I was playing Guitar I was in the Music Shop one day, I think it was around 2010/11, and I saw these little guitars there, I thought it would be good to have one as they looked very portable, so I asked the store person about them and how they work with only four strings, he explained it's a Ukulele and it actually has different tuning ..
    "Oh, so I have to learn new fingerings as well then ?" I asked rather beaverishly. "Yes that's right" he replied.
    "OK" .. I looked around a bit, chose one that was similar to my Guitar, in the Soprano size , Spruce Top, Mahogany Neck, paid $100 over the counter, deal done.
    I figured I'd either be able to learn to play it, or not, so I considered it a fair 50/50 chance.
    So I got my first Uke. Two weeks later looking in the local community newspaper I saw an advertisement regarding a Uke Group and announcing they were inviting newcomers. Wow, how about that, there's a Uke Group as well, and they're inviting newcomers, that's me, I'm in.
    And that's how the Ukulele found me ...

Happy Ukeing
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 08-30-2017 at 06:56 PM.

My musical journey started when I was 10, and took guitar lessons. Played in a band in the early 70's, doing Southern rock, Dead, Band, etc. Then decades went by where I only occasionally played acoustic guitar for my own pleasure/stress relief. After kids were grown, I got back into guitar, joined a classic rock band where we gig 2x a month now, I play electric rhythm/lead guitar, sing back up and play harp. Anyhoo, the uke part started 6 years ago, when my elderly aunt gave me an old uke she bought in the late 50's. while on vacation in Hawaii. She was giving away most of her things, before moving to an assisted living place. This was at a big family Christmas party, with probably 50 in attendance. I guess I got it because I was the only musical one in the whole bunch, and had played acoustic guitar for her previously. She never played it, and it had sat in her closet for over 50 years. When presented with the uke, I looked at it, was touched and grateful, but thought it was probably just a cute little toy, probably tourist grade. How could something so tiny (soprano) be a serious instrument? It had a big crack in the top, and the bridge was lifting, so I stashed it away. In Dec. 2016, I dug it out again. It was a Kamaka gold label soprano. I sent it off for repair and setup, and once returned in Feb. 2017, realized what a nice uke I had been given. Since then, I've been playing uke every day, mostly ignoring guitar, except to keep up with band commitments, and have gone through a bunch of ukes, to find what I liked. I now have a few ukes, and find that I like soprano and concerts best. I mostly strum/sing both modern and old-timey stuff, and find it a lot of fun learning new songs, and it is very soothing to the soul. Portability and low cost (compared to fine guitars) are big pluses too. I'm really looking forward to learning how to fingerpick better, and attempting some classical pieces. I often think of, and thank my late aunt for introducing me to the ukelele.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 08-31-2017 at 03:53 AM.
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

I tried and failed to teach myself musical instruments for most of my adult life, going so far as to torture a helpless violin for almost two years. I figured that, with my track record, I'd try again at some point and sort of toyed around with the idea of the ukulele. The trouble was that I thought that ukes were too small and I didn't like the plinka-plinka sound I associated with the toystore models.

One day I was at work and I heard a student singing and playing a guitar and I went down to check it out. I asked him what he was playing and when he told me it was an ukulele I couldn't believe it. "They can sound like that?" I asked him. After he explained that it was a tenor ukulele I hemmed and hawed for about a week before I went on Amazon and bought a beginner's kit and started talking to that student about once a week to learn news chords and the like.

It didn't take long before I was in love (with the ukulele, not the student). After all those years I finally found an instrument that actually liked me back! I don't know if the ukulele is the easiest instrument in the world as the Guinness Book of World Records claims, but it's definitely the friendliest. I like to write and draw but sort of feel that those pursuits don't have value unless I share them with others. With my uke, though, I can just sit back and let that moment be enough.
    Last edited by Tigermelon; 09-01-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigermelon View Post
    .....I don't know if the ukulele is the easiest instrument in the world as the Guinness Book of World Records claims, but it's definitely the friendliest.
    Uke the easiest instrument? No way! Personally, I find the Guinness book the easiest to ignore, chronicling a bunch of fame wannabes, kinda like America's Funniest Home Videos.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 09-01-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigermelon View Post
    I tried and failed to teach myself musical instruments for most of my adult life, ......
    I know that feeling, it wasn't until I retired that I tried again, first piano, then Harmonica, & eventually ukulele, & it was with ukulele that I succeeded.

Whether or not it is easy, is very debatable, but it is a manageable instrument, & has a lot of fun within it.

(I'm also doing pretty good on my harmonicas as well now.)
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & being different.....

I've dabbled with guitar, harmonica, and banjo for many years, but never got serious enough to make any real progress.
    Late January of this year, I was in Toronto visiting my older son. His older son is a musician, pretty serious, even at 18. He owns several guitars of various kinds, a bass, a violin and a couple of ukuleles; one of which was a Cordoba 15CM with a broken neck. I looked it over, and in spite of not being a luthier, I said "I can fix that.." I've done a fair bit of fine woodwork, including a riverboat banjo that I played, (badly), in an amateur bluegrass band, so I was pretty confident.
    I took the uke home and epoxied it back together, straight and level. Did a pretty good job of it, restrung it and tuned it up. Little did I know that I had just taken the first step down a very slippery slope! It went something like this:
    "Hmm...nice tone....I wonder what the chords are...pretty simple chord shapes...take a look on youtube.. Yup, I can do that, doesn't sound too bad....Hey, this is kinda fun...any tabs out there....Ok Honey, just as soon as I finish this Cynthia Lin tutorial... Does Ciaran want his uke back? He does? Damn! I wonder what they cost...hmm not terribly expensive. I think I'll get a cheap concert .."
    And so it went, 7 months later I have a Kala TEM, a Cordoba 24B, a Pono MTSHC, an unbranded acacia that I bought unfinished on Ebay, plus the Andoer concert that I bought first then gave to my 8 year old granddaughter.
    I'm not addicted! Really I'm not!!

UKE copy.jpg
    Last edited by olphart; 09-02-2017 at 02:29 AM.

No, you're not addicted, you're just trying them out for someone else.
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & being different.....

Thread Information