? Is the headstock shape patentable/copyrightable?

spongeuke

Reaction score
I was wondering if some way the shape and arrangement of the tuners can be protected so as not to be blatantly used by others.
It seams that some shapes are used only by Fender or Gibson while the classic Martin is used by anyone.

Design protection is afaik easily circumvented for those who want to, just change it a smidge and you're good. Nowhere near as good as a patent.

one way of the other this is not the fight for a small operator. the legalities protect virtually nothing. companies with a legal staff on a certain floor of the building, they can explore this.

Got the information I needed from you guys. Look here for something different in a couple of months.

I was wondering if some way the shape and arrangement of the tuners can be protected so as not to be blatantly used by others.
It seams that some shapes are used only by Fender or Gibson while the classic Martin is used by anyone.

Should that be the classic "Nunes" headstock ?

I think the Nunes headsock had the side points about the same highth as the center crown.

I think the Nunes headsock had the side points about the same highth as the center crown.

You may be right but the basic crowned headstock seems to originate before Martin it seems to be part of the classic look.

Why bother?- you planning to make 1,000,000 instruments????

Fender tried to copyright their Strat, Tele body shapes but it was deemed to be the public domain. Probably the martin headstock also.

Taylor have their headstock copyrighted.

You only have to change it (any copyrighted stuff) a tiny bit to bypass these copyright laws.

Tuning the band saw today. It's been drifting after a new blade replacement.
I've been trying different designs for a back-back baritone bass. It's a form follows function process with several draw, build and rejections. The next one will be a keeper (I hope).
Copyrights probably won't be worth the time or money.

Top Bottom