Season 257 The Campfire Jam

I have never heard of a s'mores before. I had to look it up.

Smores1.jpg

You're KILLING ME Smalls ;)

Nothing a good s'more can't cure. Im glad you've found your way back to camp.

Now, do you like your s'more with a Reese's peanut butter cups or Hershey's chocolate?
Personally I just like a good ole burnt marshmallow! No fancy stuff for me :)

Burnt marshmallows and Hershey's. We never had Reese's PB cups back in the day. But, hey - I'm game now! :)

What a great start to the week with 16 fabulous songs. We've been entertained with so many different flavors of music today. We've had traditionals, gospels, cowboy tunes....even Elvis, CCR and The Beach Boys showed up. Someone with magic feet got us all dancing. There was a message in a bottle for us and a warning for you fellas that forget to zip up. You know who you are...the same guys that claim they saw the Sloop John when they were fishing. We got a fine to pay some money down for leaving the fish guts in the camp ground and that created some worried men.....who did that! Then a Cajan guy came by and started speaking French....that was comfusing! I expect an interesting night cause it looks like a bad moon is rising.

I've had a blast all day long listening to you all. Thanks goes to Rob (Wee_Ginga_yin), Wim(Xommen), Randy (Harry112), Graham (NotAnotherLinda), Rick (hendulele), AlanDP , redpaul1, Tommy (IamNoMan), Mel and TCK, and Rex (Jazzbanjorex).

Mel and TCK have put together a little treat for us all so lets all raise our S'mores with a hip hip hurray for all the great music today.

PS. My comments will be on YT so I can make more room for the campers here. As always check up on me to make sure Ive added you to the playlist. Night all! Im hitting the sack.

Last edited:
here's a song we learned from Sam Beam and Jesca Hoop.
We think it's a soft, gentle and beautiful song, perfect for singing around the dying embers of the campfire.
Just the few people are still awake, and left with their own thoughts...

This was a big hit for Wayne Newton but it was birthed by two gents on the other side of the pond and first recorded there by Daniel Boone in 1971. His version went to No.1 in New Zealand which was where I encountered the song in 1972. It was already a go to lounge room/campfire favourite.

I’m really just providing a karaoke track here. Turn it up and let me hear a daughter’s pleas from across the ocean.

With feeling people.

Well I've been stuck home now for just over 2 wks on high doses of steroids and antibiotics, grumpy and getting cabin fever and a PC that's on the blink and not uploading vids.........fired it up this morning and it decided it will upload but took 6 hrs to do so. Anyway I was just happy just to get something uploaded and for some strange reason this Monty Python song popped into my head ?????

Hope I haven't missed too much fun - rushed here all the way from Season 256, where there were too many 17 year olds for my liking.

Anyway, you can all join in with this one - just the two chords, C & G.

For Season of the Ukulele 257, we're playing campfire songs. Well, this may not be a classic "campfire" tune, but it's "Fire", and it is also very camp. For concert ukulele with singing, and overdubs of Ubass and secondary vocal, here's Arthur Brown's "Fire" (a number one hit in '68).

I've got tickets to see Arthur Brown on Feb. 18 in Portland. Should be a bit of frollicky fun!!

I think this would be a good sing-along song for a campfire because it has been covered in a wide range of genres: the original R&B (Ben E. King), rock (John Lennon) and country (Mickey Gilley), and a lot of different people will have heard it. I play this one at the nursing home often because one of the residents there always requests it. I have tried playing it in several different keys, tempos, and even different time signatures. I think I've pretty much settled on this version, though.

I watched Pa's beautiful version of this song and was reminded of a different version performed by the Smothers Brothers. I needed an accompanist, so I grabbed the first doofus who walked by.

Season 257. Submission 1. "Follow Me" (Written and recorded by John Denver. Beautifully sung also by Mary Travers)

What a great Season this is so far, Linda! I'm happy to be finding my place at the fire with this one. Most campfires I've been to have had someone singing a John Denver song, so here goes. :)

Camping with friends isn't just about slow easygoing stuff. Sometimes you want to get up and DANCE!

This one might seem like an odd choice because I doubt anyone here will have heard of it, but if I were camping with a bunch of Aussies under 40, it would be the perfect song. I remember being at a bar in Japan and the DJ put on this song. All the Aussies in the bar jumped up and started dancing and singing along, while the rest of bar looked at us like we were crazy. It would be great to create the same vibe at the camp fire.

I also really wanted to do this one because I will see the Cat Empire live next week, and I'm getting really excited.

Also this is a bit rough (a few missed chords), but I figure that just adds to the relaxed campfire vibe.

Top Bottom