Need Advice Regarding Uke Strap and hardware

BlueCanoe

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on a uke strap. I think I would prefer a strap similar to a guitar strap; using strap buttons. Are the buttons used on ukes the same size as those for guitars. Where should the buttons be attached?

Hi BlueCanoe,

They're just regular guitar strap buttons. But even guitar ones don't have a standard size, they come in various sizes. I like smaller sized ones on ukuleles, for obvious reasons. The usual place to attach the end one is right in the center. You can tie the other end of the strap to the headstock, or add a second button at the heel of the neck. There are various places to attach it depending on your preference, as shown in this guitar example:

ts0055a.jpg

Don't do (3) unless you add a block of wood to the inside. I prefer (5).

I like 2" guitar straps. Most of mine are cotton so they don't slip, but I do have a blingy nylon one, too, for variety.

They're just regular guitar strap buttons. I prefer (5).

I like 2" guitar straps. Most of mine are cotton so they don't slip, but I do have a blingy nylon one, too, for variety.

I prefer position 4 or 5, I put 2 of them on myself all the time.

I prefer 1.5" and cotton is fine.

My 2 cents:

1. I use the smallest possible buttons that I find in the local music store for ukes.
2. Position 5

what instrument does the strap support? 2 inches on any uklele is overkill I make 1" wide straps in 15 different colours, amd for the devil of it, I have been making some witk mule tape and a really nice nyon strap which goes around a unit of 2 x 4s. I soaked one in coffee just for kicks, and is a light tan. If you would like one, tell me what colour you want and what colour the leather ends....and your address. Since I make 'em, I can send 'em out as birthday presents or just because I want to.
Grace and Peace,
Bill Thompson
thecraftedcow@comcast.net
Salem,Oregon

what instrument does the strap support? 2 inches on any uklele is overkill ...

My sentiments as well! I'm at the other extreme, I use soft decorative 6mm (1/4") cord on all my ukuleles, my Seagull Merlin and a couple of my lightweight acoustic guitars, attached to a single button and at the headstock.

I do use more conventional straps on my big acoustic and electric guitars and my banjos ;)

I like 1.5" straps with just a single button attached at the bottom of the uke, where an endpin or pickup would go. The other end ties to the headstock. I've used a 2" guitar strap on a bigger uke and it was fine but didn't fit nicely into the case; for my concert scale ukes 1.5" seems to be the happy place. Thinner straps tend to twist around, and I find that really annoying.

HMS attached the button on position 5 for my tenor.

If you have a button installed, or an amp with jack combo, you could use the Uke Leash Guitar Style Strap, which is 1/2 inch wide. There are options for 2 button or 1 button with headstock strap connector. Check link in sig below.
–Lori

I'd be wary of using positions 1 and 2. I don't like how the uke rests on them and not flat on it's back, so in it's case the pin acts as a fulcrum for the lever of the neck or body. It's probably nothing to worry about as they are screwed either into the neck or the neck block inside the uke, but I'd just feel uncomfortable with it like that.

For uke straps I use the Neotech mandolin strap. You can use it on either two strap buttons or button and tied to headstock. 10mm nylon webbing and a large neoprene piece where it goes over your shoulder. Not keen on using the headstock to tie a strap to as I feel it may get in the way of how I cack handedly play first position chords!
h

Hi BlueCanoe,

They're just regular guitar strap buttons. But even guitar ones don't have a standard size, they come in various sizes. I like smaller sized ones on ukuleles, for obvious reasons. The usual place to attach the end one is right in the center. You can tie the other end of the strap to the headstock, or add a second button at the heel of the neck. There are various places to attach it depending on your preference, as shown in this guitar example:

ts0055a.jpg

Don't do (3) unless you add a block of wood to the inside. I prefer (5).

This image doesn't load for me. I have been trying to follow the "(5)" discussion. I wonder why? I mainly use iOS devices to read new posts.

This image doesn't load for me. I have been trying to follow the "(5)" discussion. I wonder why? I mainly use iOS devices to read new posts.

I just checked my iPhone 6s+, iOS 10.2 with Safari and I see the image. Try exiting Safari and relaunch it (you might also exit all apps). If that doesn't help, do a hard restart by holding down the power button and the home at the same time until you see the Apple, let go and wait for the device to restart.

Top Bottom