Ohana Taropatch

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Getting an all solid mahogany Ohana taropatch. I know it's subjective, but I am wondering about the following:
- Strings - I want maximum "chime", but I also want it rich and full. Considering Southcoasts, Fremont Blacklines, Oasis lights.

- Pickup - MiSi was recommended by the dealer. Another possibly work better? L R Baggs? K&K Twin Spot? Aloha?

I would welcome any thoughts from amplified concert size taropatch or other solid 8 string uke owners on this matter.

Also wondering if I should skip the pickup and spend the money on a decent instrument mic if I want amplification.

Last edited:
Have you received your Taropatch yet? If so, how do you like it? I think that string choice would depend on bracing and your style of playing. It is probably braced a little heavy, so if you want it to chime, maybe Worth Clear Mediums. With 8 strings, I would be hesitant to go with a heavy gage string.

I will we getting a Wunderkammer Taropatch later this year, so I am interested in your findings.

If/when I get a Taropatch, I would like to string it in unisons, but in fifths-tuning CGDA like a mandola.

Aside from just using 2 sets of identical strings, I've also thought of mixing it up and maybe going with each a set based off of Worth Brown and Worth Clears, or one set of Oasis and one set of D'Addario Nyltech...

I'm pretty sure there are no had rules, but merely some oft-repeated 'conventions' of all-unisons, all-octaves, or G and C octaves and E and A unisons, or O-Holy-Mo! G and A octaves and C and E unisons...I've seen 8 and 6 string ukes sets in some of these variations from different brands.

Otherwise, 2 identical sets of the Aquila 31U CGDA fifths-tuning strings for concert scale will just get installed on mine...

Sticking with reentrant for max chime. Also wondering about strings like Oasis (love the lights on my Kamaka soprano), or Fremont. I guess Aquila's are "fall back" strings.

Bumping this thread to see if Phil ever got one

Phil...I'd skip the pickup unless you play out a whole bunch. It's a great deal, so just go and buy the SOB. Concert sized Taro-patches have yet to catch on in this community. I own two of these now and love 'em both. (a Newton Taro and a Talsma Taro) The 8-string concert taro is the coolest instrument around!!

These concert taro's do not even resemble an 8-string tenor ukulele in sound (8-string tenors are not considered to be a taro-patch). Once you experience a true concert scale taro-patch tuned in unison, you'll know what I mean. I have a Kamaka 8-string tenor that is a very nice instrument in it's own rite, but it doesn't sound anything like a true concert taro-patch no matter how I string it.

Last edited:
From the research I've done, a it's only a taropatch if it's concert or soprano size. When Ohana first brought out the 8 string tenor, they offered both all mahogany and spruce topped models as they have with the CK35-8. The two Ohanas are nearly identical except for size and binding. I guess we'll see if that lasts as well. My first taropatch was damaged in shipping and had to be returned. New one is on the way. At less than $300, I figured I can't go wrong and better get one before they're discontinued. Never know how long an Ohana special issue will hang around.

Last edited:
Got the Ohana and had Worth Clear's put on...reentrants. I can add low g anytime. Neck a little thick, but one hell of a uke for under $300. Before the replacement arrived, I found out about the Pono taropatch, but it was too late to change, so I guess I'm already jonesing for my second taropatch, the solid acacia Pono.

My experience is limited to an Oscar Schmidt 8-string tenor. Have kept using Aquilas, only because I have a stockpile of loose strings and keep changing tte tuning. The string sound is, well, predictable.

I put a pickup/tuner/preamp combo on the OS as an experiment. It's not a top quality unit, but an E*** special which functions well enough. As with most pickups, the real difference seems to come from the speakers used in conjunction with the unit. If one does not plan to be in a situation where sound mixing will occur routinely, not sure if I'd bother carving the instrument. One can slways install a decent pickup at a later time if the instrument's use in a mixing environment happens more than rarely.

Are you still liking the Ohana? I'm close to buying one, but there is almost nothing out there about them, including here, so I'm hesitant.

Also, the seller I was planning to buy from strings them G & C octave and E & A unison, while it's my understanding that 'standard' tuning is all unison. How did you get yours' strung? I have an OS 8-string strung in octaves and unison, and was wondering how the sound differs.

Thank you for any help you can give me on this!

Are you still liking the Ohana? I'm close to buying one, but there is almost nothing out there about them, including here, so I'm hesitant.

Also, the seller I was planning to buy from strings them G & C octave and E & A unison, while it's my understanding that 'standard' tuning is all unison. How did you get yours' strung? I have an OS 8-string strung in octaves and unison, and was wondering how the sound differs.

Thank you for any help you can give me on this!

I love the Ohana, but am frustrated that I found out about the new Pono solid acacia taropatch just a few days after I ordered the Ohana. Tried to change my order, but it was too late. Would have been happy to pay the extra $100 for the Pono...oh well, sure can't use two taropatch ukes. Mike at Uke Republic did a great setup and installed Worth Clear strings (included). I had it tuned in unison for the classic taropatch sound which is why I bought it. Got the all mahogany model for it's classic looks. Was tempted to get the spruce top for brightness.
For my 6 strings, I tuned them G cC E AA. Before the taropatch came out, I had been tempted to get the Ohana solid spruce/mahogany 8 string tenor...amazing for the $. Not sure I'll be getting another 8 string uke though unless I sell the Ohana taropatch to buy the Pono.

Last edited:
Thank you! The Pono is a bit too in-your-face for me, so I think the Ohana would probably be better suited for me. Though deciding between spruce and mahogany is also hard to do - all of mine are mahogany, except for one acacia laminate (and whatever my Shark is made from). I am considering buying a regular tenor, maybe I'll get that in spruce.

I have an Oscar Schmidt 8-string (mahogany laminate) tenor; I like it but it's rather quiet (I don't play with a pick) and I don't play it quite enough to not touch the adjacent strings when fretting. I doubt I'll get another tenor 8, though I'm thinking about getting a (inexpensive) 4-str tenor.

I have a ohana soprano spruce top flamed koa back and sides, and a tenor cedar top rosewood back and sides both look excellent and are excellent sounding ukuleles

Top Bottom