Ohana Taropatch

Hey all!

I don't have my taropatch - yet - but I will. :) For awhile I thought maybe I did like the Pono but I'm back to the Ohanas, and leaning towards the spruce. Mike says he'll have the spruce in soon and I'm hoping he'll be able to put up a sound file to compare. I did find a video of the Ohana spruce 8-string tenor and loved it.

Question about strings - I'm not crazy about Aquila Super Nylgut, mostly because of feel (I don't know what the Ohanas come with). I'm wondering if the Worth clears Phil put on his mahogany will be too much on a spruce? Living Waters strings? I only have YouTube to go by and they don't usually say what strings they are using, and there are no videos of the spruce and only two (very different) of the mahogany. And then - since I'm planning on the unison tuning I could do two different sets. For example, one put a set of clears and a set of browns on. But would that sound weird?

I have a Mya Moe Toro and they string them with Worth CM https://www.theukulelesite.com/worth-strings-cm-clear-soprano-concert.html
Keep in mind that if you want to string the G & C strings with octaves you might need to open up the nut diameter to handle those two upper G & C slots so that the string sits nicely in the groove. Use light tension strings.

Mine is a spruce top and is loud. No way of comparing volume in the different brands without playing them all. I have many Pono ukes and they have a substantial neck. I wonder if they have made their Toro with a thinner neck? My guess is no. I find my Toro very comfortable to play but if the neck was any thicker it would take too much strength for me.

If mine had a pickup it would be too loud IMO. Again, there is no way to know if a pickup would be a good decision until you've played your instrument. I can't imagine needing one unless you were in a band situation. When I record with one mic mine can over power the vocals.

Top Bottom