Please share Ukulele news from NAMM

Thanks timmit for all those great pix.

Henry Rollins must have been a blast to hang out with. He seems like a really cool guy.

I used to watch and was a big fan of that show he had where he sat down and interviewed people, as he always asked such deeply insightful questions of his guests.

Very true! I've reading (listening to the audio versions of musician's bios recently..Springsteen, Billy Idol, Patti Smith, Tom Petty, ect.) They bring the "deeply insightful-ness" of each of the artist to me too!

Is that a new model of MultiUke but with a pin-bridge? I cannot read the headstock name, but it does not seem to say 'Godin', but I know that Godin shares with other brands like Seagull, Art & Lutherie, La Patrie, and a few others.
I think it's a steel string. I thought it was cool too and got several more pix. Take a look.... I hope it's the same one.
IMG_6491-1.jpgIMG_6489-1.jpgIMG_6490-1.jpg

Very true! I've reading (listening to the audio versions of musician's bios recently..Springsteen, Billy Idol, Patti Smith, Tom Petty, ect.) They bring the "deeply insightful-ness" of each of the artist to me too!

Sorry for the off-topic, but also a few yrs back there was an episode of 'Behind The Music' that was all about Henry Rollins, and his career and journey was very interesting and could serve as an example of why one should never quit in trying to make their dreams come true and how real hard persistence, in spite of all obstacles can bring great success.

I don't agree with some of his opinions, but that's fine, and we do not all have to agree :). I just think he's a really interesting guy.

Back to the regularly scheduled NAMM coverage - please carry on...:music:

I think it's a steel string. I thought it was cool too and got several more pix. Take a look.... I hope it's the same one....

Thanks for the reply and extra pix. A few posts back, fellow UU brother jer had a link to this on the Godin web site and a video of someone playing it. Yes seems this is a CAVAQUINHO.

At this scale length and already setup for steel strings, it seems to me it would be easy to tune it in fifths GDAE as an electric mando with just 4 strings instead of 8. String sets are readily available for this, and the only thing is that one might need to alter the saddle compensation for the fifths tunings to intonate well. I am not sure if they already have a mandolin in their product line.

In any case, it's very cool to see what Godin is doing.

Ok, I haven't found any more new stuff, so I guess it's time for a little résumé. These are just my personal impressions, I would love to hear what others think:

- We see more new "vintage" designs, mostly more or less accurate copies of old Martin styles

- More brands are adding to the player's comfort: we see more bevelled armrests, bound fretboards, and side sound ports

- More brands are adding crossover instruments like Banjoleles and U-Basses

- Another trend might be eight string instruments

All in all, I think there were fewer ukulele brands than in other years, and a little less coverage on ukes (haven't found anything from Aldrine and the UU staff yet). Some of the well respected brands that attended NAMM in other years have not been there, while others didn't show any ukes or have stopped making ukes altogether. Perhaps these are some indicators that we're past the zenith of when everyone jumped on the bandwagon...?

What are your impressions? Have you noticed any other trends? And what did you like best?

Anyway, thanks to all who reported to this thread!

Ok, I haven't found any more new stuff, so I guess it's time for a little résumé. These are just my personal impressions, I would love to hear what others think:

- We see more new "vintage" designs, mostly more or less accurate copies of old Martin styles

- More brands are adding to the player's comfort: we see more bevelled armrests, bound fretboards, and side sound ports

All in all, I think there were fewer ukulele brands than in other years, and a little less coverage on ukes (haven't found anything from Aldrine and the UU staff yet). Some of the well respected brands that attended NAMM in other years have not been there, while others didn't show any ukes or have stopped making ukes altogether. Perhaps these are some indicators that we're past the zenith of when everyone jumped on the bandwagon...?

What are your impressions? Have you noticed any other trends? And what did you like best?

Aldrine!! on the new KSE-T Kanile'a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJMtI5lvMM4

Last edited:
I just want to say thanks again Rainer for starting this thread and to all those that contributed. Without all of you I wouldn't be in a constant state of lust :drool:

Items I am excited about

*Kala is making a concert size Waterman...car uke for sure
* Boss acoustic singer amp....the 120 watt size. Has some really cool features like a on board looper and a harmonizer for the voice, way cool.
*Taylor is making an acoustic bass on their GS Mini body. That is a 4 string instrument.......Rainer can you envision a tenor guitar on that chassis.
*iRig Acoustic Stage clip on sound hole mic. This feeds into a preamp and then you can plug into an amplifier. You could not do that with the original. You can also plug you pickup equipped instrument into the pre amp, that is small and clips to your belt and then blend the sound of the sound hole mic and pick up.

Last edited:
Taylor is making an acoustic bass on their GS Mini body. That is a 4 string instrument.......Rainer can you envision a tenor guitar on that chassis.

Wow, I might just have to reactivate my Bass playing skills! And yes to the Taylor GS Mini Tenor Guitar! Will they make it happen?

Rakelele: my impressions are the same as yours. I did see Aldrine and his staff there, so maybe they haven't returned home yet to upload their videos.

Aside from Kala's 8-string baritone, who else is coming out with new 8-stringers? As an avid 8-string player, I'm interested in anything new in this area.

- FiL

Ohana had been teasing a concert Taropatch for a long time and seems right after X-Mas it was launched.

Uke Republic has them in stock now, and I suspect that fellow UU brother PhilUSAFRET already has one on order if not in hand right now and maybe that's why he's been offline for a while and bonding with it far away from distractions. :)

Ohana CK-358 Solid Mahogany Taropatch Concert Ukulele
http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/product/ohana-ck-358-solid-mahogany-taropatch-concert-ukulele

Top Bottom