Please share Ukulele news from NAMM

Dayum! Can you even imagine (I cannot) having Jake and Kalai as your *backup* band?!? :bowdown:

I guess this was Andrew's tune? Anybody know the name of it?

Yeah, it looks like the Kamaka booth was the place to hang out!

For photos, Uncle Eddie had posted some here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/132994836@N07/49BcK4

Thanks so much for sharing this link. The new Jake signature model looks amazing--far more ornate than the original release and a very compelling grail ukulele.

Now, I can only hope for one of two things--either it is "reasonably" priced so that I put my order down ASAP, or it is so out of range that I can't even think about buying it. If it's in the middle, there might be some thinking involved....

The new Jake signature model looks amazing--far more ornate than the original release and a very compelling grail ukulele.

Now, I can only hope for one of two things--either it is "reasonably" priced so that I put my order down ASAP, or it is so out of range that I can't even think about buying it. If it's in the middle, there might be some thinking involved...

It looks similarly adorned like the Kamaka HF-3 D2l model so I would guess above 3k, plus a little extra for the signature.

Andrew talking to Joe Souza from Kanilea about expanding their line of slotted headstock models to all sizes, soundports, bevelled armrests, re-bracing, and their I'iwi model which will be auctioned for reforestation projects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuXndYA2XVU

Too bad, I have been eagerly looking for updates on Pono ...

While Pono isn't at NAMM this year, they still have some exciting news to share: Their Octave Mandolins / Eight String Tenor Guitars have hit the stores, and they're going to make some flat top Mandolins / Mandolas based on their Ukulele shapes, I guess basically an Eight String Ukulele with steel strings (taken from the Pono Guitar website).

I did stop at one booth that had plastic ukes, and they weren't even tuned. C'mo~n . . ., it was like they didn't even care for their own products. Imagine walking into a bakery, peeping into the display case, and seeing a fly or two in it.

The conventions I attend and present at are no comparison to NAMM (Texas would be the closest). That said, I am usually the one tuning up ukuleles as the stores that bring them have not. That said, ukuleles are just one of hundreds of items they bring along. I have also experienced the same situation at Guitar Center and regular music stores.

Hi Jim: yes, it is an Andrew composition called "Surfing At Jaws", which is on his new CD that he just released this week. My apologies to Kalei Gamiao for butchering the spelling of your name.

Luke

Where is the new CD being sold? I haven't seen it on his website.
Sorry to hijack the thread...

Hi Bill: the CD was an early release for those who contributed to his Kickstarter campaign. It will probably be released to the general public soon.

Mike from Uke Republic with Rigk Sauer from Risa, showing their new Fender Tele and Strato style solid body electric steel string ukes:

Kremona showing a pickup that can be stuck to the top of the soundboard:

Video wrong upright.png

A perfect example of how limited the view is holding the phone upright, half of each person is in frame and look at all the black on both sides. If the person just turned it sideways and took 1/2 a step back, we all could see everything. (I'm not going to give up on this.)

Last edited:
I could listen to Joe talk about ukes for hours on end without getting bored. You can tell how passionate he is about every aspect of Kanile'a's operations. pretty cool.

Andrew talking to Joe Souza from Kanilea about expanding their line of slotted headstock models to all sizes, soundports, bevelled armrests, re-bracing, and their I'iwi model which will be auctioned for reforestation projects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuXndYA2XVU

And was Kamoa ukulele there? Sam Bonanno used to have a booth and a UU NAMM video of new offerings.

Pete: Collings had a booth but didn't show any ukes, only guitars. I was told by one of their distributors they rather spend their efforts on building guitars because it is more profitable and takes the same amount of time to build.

Coolkayaker: I didn't see Kamao there and neither were they listed on the exhibitors directory.

Video wrong upright.png

A perfect example of how limited the view is holding the phone upright, half of each person is in frame and look at all the black on both sides. If the person just turned it sideways and took 1/2 a step back, we all could see everything. (I'm not going to give up on this.)

Depends. If you're watching on a computer.. that might be true. If you're watching on a phone or tablet, it's not.
Phones are becoming more and more people's window to the internet.

This yet again? You are persistent. That's for sure.
Have you ever heard the line "Beggars can't be choosers." ?

We should just be glad that some people are willing to make videos and share them. They don't have to make or share the videos. If you don't like the format, you don't have to watch them. What you're doing could actually discourage some people from even sharing.
That said, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you here. I've said what I wanted to say as politely as I know how, so I'll bow out of that part of the discussion now.

Thanks to those of you who are sharing the videos, information, etc. I'm thinking most here appreciate the effort.

This yet again? You are persistent. That's for sure.
Have you ever heard the line "Beggars can't be choosers." ?

We should just be glad that some people are willing to make videos and share them. They don't have to make or share the videos. If you don't like the format, you don't have to watch them. What you're doing could actually discourage some people from even sharing.
That said, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you here. I've said what I wanted to say as politely as I know how, so I'll bow out of that part of the discussion now.

Thanks to those of you who are sharing the videos, information, etc. I'm thinking most here appreciate the effort.

Haha...I like your post..to bad some folks like to complain about everything...:) thxs for all the videos and photos from everyone who took their time to post....:) Aloha!!

Top Bottom