Tenor Guitar - Blueridge BR-70T

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I briefly played a Blueridge tenor guitar tuned DGBE the other week and really liked it. It definitely has a different feel with the banjo-like neck (narrower and slimmer than a uke) and steel strings.

The Blueridge models are very highly reviewed. Street price on the BR-70T (suitably blinged for my tastes) is $625 (no case).

1) Anybody have a Blueridge tenor that cares to comment on it?

2) Anybody have any tenor guitar and care to comment on whether or not switching back and forth from it to uke creates any challenges due to neck differences?

Thanks for any insights.

Tenor Guitars are great! I have the Kala KA-GTR and a Pono UL4. Both have a 21" scale which is shorter than all other Tenor Guitars. Anything longer would be too large for me (I'm short).

The Kala has a bigger body and therefore, sounds a little more guitar-like. Yet, the Pono sounds more defined to my ears.

The Pono has the same nut width as a Uke (35 mm). I find this very comfortable to fret chords. The Kala has a very narrow nut like all other Tenor Guitars (around 30 mm). This may work well when tuning in fifths, but I find it much too narrow for a chord like 2220.

I like the concept of a Guitar with steel strings and only four courses, but prefer one that is significantly smaller, and has a wider nut. All in all, I much prefer the Pono.

I have an Ibanez AVT1 which is a parlor style tenor guitar. It has a 22.8 inch scale and is 1.8 inches at the nut. The string spacing is basically the same as a regular acoustic guitar, minus two strings of course. I have mine strung DGBE, "Chicago" tuning. It has a very guitar like sound in this tuning, for obvious reasons.

Initially, I thought the neck was going to be to narrow for me. Once I actually sat down and practiced some scales and finger excercises, and noodled around, I found that I actually quickly adapted to the neck. The width between frets at this scale is of course a little wider at the nut end but it didn't present any real problems for me.

The narrower neck and string spacing does force one to be more precise with fingering chords. In that respect, it has made me a better player. In going back to the uke, I found that everything actually seemed a little easier to finger because of the improved flexibility and stretch I gained practicing and playing on a larger scale.

Depending on where you are at in your ability, it may take more or less effort/practice to adjust. I did have to make one change...fingering the chord 2220. The narrow neck required me to change from the three finger straight in line shape to a more compact three finger triangle shape. Some do this shape anyway, from what I have seen online, but I was a three finger in a straight line guy. Again, just some practice to adjust.

Bottom line is that it has made a much better and accurate player to move up to a larger scale length. I could not be happier with the guitar and my progress.

Below are two video links to the tenor guitar I have. It is tuned in the higher cgda, fifths, tuning in the videos. Again, I use the lower DGBE tuning.

I had looked at the Blueridge as well, but in the end, I loved the old school parlor look of the Ibanez. The Blueridge does indeed get very good reviews.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oZTNPcTfLB8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Xb_CVZF3o

Last edited:
I have a Blueridge BR 70t and really enjoy it. I have it tuned CGDA since I used to play viola (ages ago) and it sounds excellent. I had L.R. Baggs Anthem SL installed soon after making this purchase. It has plenty of natural volume, beautiful tone, and so easy to play. I can run it straight into a D.I. box and I'm truly happy with the sound. No pre-amp needed.

Got a Blueridge 40T and have had it for a while. Traded a mandolin for it and never looked back.

Have it tuned CGDA. Tried it with GDAE, but the CGDA is more mellow and better for rock.

You can't do wrong with the 70T. If you need more info, there is a Tenor Guitar sub-forum over at the Mandolin Cafe website and the Blueridge line has had plenty of discussion there.

does anyone know the difference between the 40, 60, and 70 models of the bluebridge tenor? The only difference I could see is that the 40t has the fret markers in the correct place...like the ukulele's.

Hi, I moved my post to the marketplace, thanks

Last edited:
I had an old Harmony tenor guitar (sold it to fund a Taylor guitar). Despite its typical slender neck, I did not find it that difficult to adjust to. I do go back and forth from soprano to baritone to tenor guitar to guitar regularly and it just takes a little bit to dial it in. BUT, I think my next tenor guitar will be a Pono. I think the wider neck will just be more comfortable.

I have the more plain BR-40T and am very happy with it. I've messed around trying to play it in fifths and open tuning, but I'm not a guitar player so it's tough for me to reach and form some of the chords in those tunings. It's nice to have the option though and it's something for me to aspire to. When tuned DGBE I have no problem playing ukulele chord shapes and I really enjoy the sound and using a pick. If you put a capo on the second fret that shortens the scale significantly if at first you do have some reach issues. For me, switching between tenor guitar and tenor or baritone ukulele is not an issue at all and I do so every day. Even though the strings are closer together on the tenor guitar than the ukulele, for me it is more of an adjustment to go tenor uke to soprano uke, which I also enjoy.

It's a very nice instrument and I would say the positive reviews ring true in my case as well and I am pleased to own one.

Top Bottom