Season 258 Hottest 2,300

Season 258. Submission 1 "Hallelujah" (Words and music by Leonard Cohen (1995))

Happy Australia Day coming up! Thank you for hosting, Robin!

Robin, R.I.P. Leonard Cohen and R.I.P. Jeff Buckey (2013 - #36)

For Season of the Ukulele 258, we're playing songs on the favorite list of listeners Australian radio station Triple J. Considering that I always thought of it as a rather obscure minor hit, I was absolutely amazed to find the song I really wanted to record this week on the list.

Here's XTC's "Making Plans for Nigel". Played on concert ukulele with singing, with overdubs of Ubass and vocals.

#80 2009. From the Glimmer Twins. The voice almost gave out near the end but I got through it.

For Season of the Ukulele 258, we're playing songs on the favorite list of listeners Australian radio station Triple J. Considering that I always thought of it as a rather obscure minor hit, I was absolutely amazed to find the song I really wanted to record this week on the list.

Here's XTC's "Making Plans for Nigel". Played on concert ukulele with singing, with overdubs of Ubass and vocals.

Number 81 from the 1989 all-time list. I didn't specifically forbid the all-time lists, so I'll allow it :)

I should mention that if your entry receives a bonus prize, it doesn't count towards your song limit. I don't want anyone to deliberately avoid the bonus prizes because they are worried they won't be able to do the song they want.

Well I looked through some of the lists and though I saw a few names that were familiar, I didn't see a song I'd heard of so this should be an interesting week - as long as I can get a round tuit, that is.

Last edited:

And there we have it. Bonus prize 1 goes to Pabrizzer. Now I just have to think up a prize. Pa, please PM me your address, and I'll get the prize out after the week finishes.

Here is a link to the wikipedia page, which talks about the Taylor Swift controversy from a few years ago. According to this, she got the 12th most votes, whereas I think I said 4th in my original post. My bad. Also, Pa addressed the fact that its non-inclusion was quite a complicated issue based on an internet campaign that was pushed by Buzzfeed. One of the justifications I heard from a Triple J presenter on the radio at the time was that it was not allowed because it hadn't been played on the station, but that may not be the official position of the station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_J_Hottest_100

Last edited:
I've just been going through the archives and strumming along to a bunch of stuff and I've decided that 2013 was a very good year for female vocalists...

Is Teenage Dirtbag allowed? Triple J announced it as the winner one year, but quickly let everyone know it was a joke.

In addition to anything else, it was also number 4 in 2000, so yes. Definitely.

Maybe it was Shannon Noll? As per any good Aussie, I'm always a bit worse for wear by the time number 1 comes around.

Maybe it was Shannon Noll? As per any good Aussie, I'm always a bit worse for wear by the time number 1 comes around.

Actually that rings a bell. I'm banning Shannon Noll!

Seen while out last night. Does it get much more Aussie than this?

DSC_0002.jpgDSC_0003.jpg

Last edited:
I see nobody posted while I was asleep. I will be on tour guide duty today, so I'll be out until the evening. I'll catch up when I get back. If anyone's interested, I'll be hiking up to Lake Osborne and then going to the Tahune Airwalk.

Top Bottom