Season 258 Hottest 2,300

Just a heads up. This year's count down has officially kicked off with Brace by Birds of Tokyo at #100. I'll let you guys look up the rest of the list. It should be updated on the website in real time.

Okay, #91 is the first one I know. But I don't think I'd try playing it on uke.

I was shocked that that one didn't rank higher. I thought that would easily be top 50! And yes. I would never attempt it on the uke.

Oh, thank you, thank you. I'll check 'em out. I just spent the last hour and some time this morning looking and listening. I found some songs I liked the lyrics of but not the music and visa versa but nothing that said "OH YEAH!" Lol.

Hi Janet,

You might want to have a look at these songs. I'm not sure what will speak to you, so I took a bit of a scattergun approach with these. At least I managed to weed out some of the ones that I think you definitely wouldn't like. Also if there are any other people who are in a similar position to Janet and have similar taste in music, it might pay to check these out.

I only included artists once, so if you like the artist, but not the song, it might be a good idea to have a look at what else they have done in the various countdowns.

#1 Chet Faker: Talk is Cheap
#10 Asgeir: King and Cross

#2 Lorde: Royals

#1 Angus and Julia Stone: Big Jet Plane

2009 (all time)
Nick Cave: Into My Arms (also check out #8 from 1995: Where the Wild Roses Grow)

#56 Xavier Rudd: Better People

#8 Gotye: Heart's a Mess

#15 Sarah Blasko: Flame Trees (cover of Jimmy Barnes song)

#6 Missy Higgins: 10 Days
#72 Placebo: Running Up That Hill (cover of Kate Bush song)

#19 George: Special Ones (Might be tricky. Katie Noonan is an incredible singer)

#24 Macy Gray: I Try
#67 Madonna: Beautiful Stranger

1989 (all time)
#2 Hunters and Collectors: Throw Your Arms Around Me (it's a pretty song if you can get over the incredibly creepy lyrics)
#48 Enya: Orinoco Flow

I missed that one. A lot of these are Aussie acts that I've never heard of. None of this is making me want to buy a Violent Soho album.

Now we're talking. #61 is a song I really liked this year. I'm not going to hear much more. It's after 11 PM here.

OMG I see the Bieber sort of gets in the list.
This is just a bonus because pa is playing guitar and it's an old but never 'released' video.
I had a croaky voice that day.
Oh and I don't use the F word like the Triple J version.

I tried this a few different ways but decided simpler was better. It also helped my mood to think about something positive, even if only for a few minutes.

Support science!

-Andy

Well unless you bring some serious generators and loopers and computers and a whole pile of techno stuff there ain't much of this years hottest 100 songs gonna be sung around no campfires.
We're down to number 38 and it's almost all techno hip hop stuff .... That Guy Sebastian sure has a voice though and I did see Paul Kelly at the Lighthouse Folk Festival last year. And Charlie LOVES The Bieber.
I quite liked the BS song. Tempted to do a cover....

Last edited:
I missed the last half of the count down because I was at the park watching Xavier Rudd and the Cat Empire, which was awesome. Now that I'm back, I can say that the 2nd bonus is in play, and that it's somewhere in the top 50. I think Pa is right, that it is going to be a challenge to find songs from this years countdown. Electronic stuff seems to be in vogue starting from last year. However, given that I have already done one of the songs for the seasons, I'm sure you can find something.

And here is a video that Tiffany took from the concert...

SOTU: 258 - Thornton Rule! I have been overwhelmed by the huge number of songs on the various TripleJ lists this Season. Part of the difficulty is my unfamiliarity with most of the musicians and their music. Electronic, Dance, and Hip-Hop are not really my thing, but I wanted to cover an Australian Singer-Songwriter this Season. Eric Bogel is my favorite singer -songwriter from Oz. His song: His song "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" was named one of the APRA Top 30 Australian songs in 2001 So he is on a "Top List in the requisite time period.

[FONT=&]SOTU: 258 - Thornton Rule! I have been overwhelmed by the huge number of songs on the various TripleJ lists this Season. Part of the difficulty is my unfamiliarity with most of the musicians and their music. Electronic, Dance, and Hip-Hop are not really my thing, but I wanted to cover an Australian Singer-Songwriter this Season. Eric Bogel is my favorite singer -songwriter from Oz. His song: His song "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" was named one of the APRA Top 30 Australian songs in 2001 So he is on a "Top List in the requisite time period.

[/FONT]

Hi. I commented on YouTube, bust just to let everyone else know, I think this might be stretching the Thornton rule a little bit too far. If the song played was "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" I would have considered it, but even that would be against my better judgement. As it is, I don't think this song even made the APRA count down. While I love the song, I think it should go on to the island to avoid this season becoming a free for all. If anyone is struggling to find a song, feel free to message me and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction. Remember you can search by artist and that people like the Rolling Stones are in there (more than just Paint it Black).

By the way, another source of inspiration might be my past seasons entries. Here are some seasons where I have entered eligible songs (including from my old account):

256, 252, 244, 239, 233, 225, 224, 220, 217 (many entries including a number 1), 216, 212, 208...

There may be more, but I haven't looked up all the songs I have done. These ones are just from memory.

Greetings,

I selected Creep from 1993 list at number 2 that year. It one of my favorite songs, I sung a PG version. :)

Ciao

It's better with headphones, I was not playing or singing very loud on this one. I wanted a soft touch with the vocals

I think it is a great idea for the younger Seasonistas to try to keep the more mature members up to date with the latest music. To this end I have bought myself right up to 1993, No 82. It might not seem very recent, but it is more recent than many of my entries.

By the way, very mixed reception for the latest winner of the JJJ top 100. Still, it is a popular vote and someone must be voting for it. Reminds me of another recent election...

Last edited:
Top Bottom