Hive Katalox & Red Spruce Build Progress

Doc_J

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread for progress pics of my Hive tenor. It's quite a ways from being built. But I received some nice pics of the wood and uke set from Jake. The back and sides are Katalox (Mexican Royal Ebony). Haven't seen any Katalox instruments before. But, of the many wood samples discussed with Jake, Katalox seems to have the right material properties and looks for me. It's hard, strong, dense with nice coloring and good figuring.

IMG_3447_zps8al24gru

FullSizeRender3_zpshxc2z3te https://www.flickr.com/photos/150516092@N02/,

Last edited:
Really nice looking wood. It'll be interesting following the building process of your special uke.

Very nice, Hodge! Thanks for bringing up this tonewood, it looks spectacular. Lokking forward to seeing this build progress.

Wow Hodge, that is quite unique. I am sure it will be a wonderful Uke. Jake's quality from what I see and hear is superb (as you know).

I saw this wood on his FB page Hodge. I'm glad that you snatched it up. Spruce top with that?

I am looking forward to following the build thread once it starts. And also hearing what your uke sounds like!

gorgeous wood! tenor size?

It's gonna be a beaut, Hodge!!!

Ooh wee! :drool:

Thanks for the nice comments everybody. It's amazing all the great tone woods that are available and little known.

gorgeous wood! tenor size?

OhioBelle, thanks. This will be a tenor, a Hornet model.

I saw this wood on his FB page Hodge. I'm glad that you snatched it up. Spruce top with that?

I am looking forward to following the build thread once it starts. And also hearing what your uke sounds like!

Thanks Dana. Jake has some really outstanding wood sets, as you well know.

Yes, the top will be Red Spruce.

Well done Hodge, I love how you are thinking outside the box. Jake no doubt likes this wood or he wouldn't be offering it. Certainly is beautiful looking and being a Hive it will sound beautiful as well.

Last edited:
Hodge, I'm glad that you and Jake are undertaking this build. Some of the most reputable tone wood sellers have been showing katalox sets in both guitar and ukulele sizes. It appears to be in good supply and not threatened, or at least not CITES listed. Many of us will be following this project with interest!

Congratuations, Hodge - I think you'll be pleased.

This is a wood we've used for years. As always there are lots of names. Royal Mexican Ebony is the new one; Katalox seems to be used most often. We used the older (Aztec) spelling: Katalo'ox, but in our neck of the woods where terminology was very general and often made knowing what you were talking about difficult, the most common name was "Cocobolo Negro".

The latin name is Swartzia cubensis, so it's not directly related to Cocobolo, not a true Dalbergia, and so not effected by the new blanket restrictions on rosewood from CITES. Be careful, however, if an instrument with this wood were to come into the U.S. from outside the country. Several areas where it grows have local restrictions meaning Lacey Act paperwork and permit documentation showing local restrictions were followed will come into play for entrance into (not exit from) the U.S.

While we used it on most of our instruments for a number of years, that use was typically on fretboards. Still we used it on bodies occasionally as well. Here's a photo of the back of an Alto Largo:

Picture 059.jpg

I still actually have this one, and as it's a primary instrument for string testing, it's gotten pretty gouged up below the bridge. Now that the testing has ramped way down, I'm going to try to make it a presentable instrument again and likely play it myself.

We built these in Central America and in those days used locally imported soundboard material. The most common was European Spruce - very popular with the local guitar builders, and we used it a lot as a result. It's the soundbard on the instrument in the photo. That pairing, as you might imagine, tends to be on the bright side, but there is a bit darker flavor these backs & sides give to the sound as well. So I'd say you have a nice combination and of course you can expect Jake will bring out the best in your selections.

Last edited:
You don't mess around sir Hodge!

As has often been the case recently when I read your posts, I have to go to google and learn about something new. Todays topic: What is Katalox? Well, for starters we can see it is beautiful to behold!

Thanks to Dirk and David for their educational input!

Last edited:
Ok now you need to learn to play "Smoke on the Water"......or at least the riff for when you do your NUD sound sample. Looks wonderful Hodge.

That's a beauty. I've been following Jakes work on other sites and am always impressed. I love the shape of the Hives and the Katalox is gorgeous. I thought it was Myrtle when I first saw it.
joe

Possibly weird question... how are you getting these pictures as the build continues? Are they emailed to you?

Top Bottom