If you could choose just one?

Scatterbrain

Reaction score
Your house is on fire, your family and pets are safe but you have time to grab just ONE uke (or the moneybox for the one you are saving for) ..... Which one and why?

I'd have to grab two...sorry for the exception...

1. Vintage 1950s all-solid mahogany Harmony baritone, given to me by my grandfather who passed away in 2009. He was a highly-accomplished lifelong ragtime, foxtrot and jazz solo pianist (as a hobby) and brought many blessings into my life with his music

2. My 'Made In The USA' 1976 all-mahogany Gibson Les Paul 'Firebrand', which was my first ever 'real' guitar, and a birthday gift from my mother when I was 15 yrs old. I wrote tons of music on that guitar, and had many recordings and gigs for many many years with it.

Neither of these can be 'replaced' due to the family connections and 'other than cash value' meaning to me.

I am not a materialistic person, but if I can't choose and keep these two, then I might as well just cover myself in gasoline and wait for immolation to consume me.

I'd have to grab two...sorry for the exception...

1. Vintage 1950s all-solid mahogany Harmony baritone, given to me by my grandfather who passed away in 2009. He was a highly-accomplished lifelong ragtime, foxtrot and jazz solo pianist (as a hobby) and brought many blessings into my life with his music

2. My 'Made In The USA' 1976 all-mahogany Gibson Les Paul 'Firebrand', which was my first ever 'real' guitar, and a birthday gift from my mother when I was 15 yrs old. I wrote tons of music on that guitar, and had many recordings and gigs for many many years with it.

Neither of these can be 'replaced' due to the family connections and 'other than cash value' meaning to me.

I am not a materialistic person, but if I can't choose and keep these two, then I might as well just cover myself in gasoline and wait for immolation to consume me.

He said you could only save one uke. The Gibson gets through on a technology!

I think i would have to pick along the principle of replacement. I love my OXK, OU, Brueko etc. but if they perish, there are more. The sapele Opio is scarce, but there are used ones once the new stock is depleted.

So, theoretically, I would pick my 1940's solid maple Silvertone soprano. Bought off eBay (and plays perfectly), so no family connection. Just the fact that it is no longer made.

However, in 1994 our house burned to the ground in 15 minutes. Forget the ukes, just get out.

Probably my Mainland, but honestly, I could get another one of them, so I might just get out and stay out.

If I had to sell all but two, I would keep the Opio and the Pono. If one of them, even though it is theoretically the lesser instrument (no radius fretboard, no slotted headstock, no gloss finish, etc.) I would take the Opio just because of its unbelievable sound. I need to find someone with an Acacia Opio to see how much the sound has changed.

Great question. Blackbird Clara. Love it and it's pricey. Others that I have are easier to replace. Though to be honest I'd probably choose none and start hoarding them all over again!

I certainly hope no one suffers any tradegdy, but I'd save the only uke I have: a walnut tenor fluke with wood fretboard.

However, if I saved my piggybank, it's for a koa fluke with wood fretboard and peghead tuners -- intonation, durability, playability, made in USA, with the sweetness of koa... I can't wait!

My LfdM as it was custom built to all my specifications. I worked closely with Luis on all the details and he even put an inscription on the inside. It also happens to be my best sounding and easiest playing uke.

20170123_062648.jpg

Last edited:
I would grab my Moore Bettah. It's insured, but only for what I paid for it. I could not afford to get another one.

The uke's can be replaced ... my blonde J200, she comes with me whatever, has done for the last 40+ years :music:

My loprinzi.

It is my most expensive one!

Last edited:
I would grab my Moore Bettah. It's insured, but only for what I paid for it. I could not afford to get another one.

My Kauai inlayed Moore Bettah. Like Sukie, I have it insured for what I paid, but the money would be little consolation as it is irreplacable and has a great deal of sentimental value as well.

My Kauai inlayed Moore Bettah. Like Sukie, I have it insured for what I paid, but the money would be little consolation as it is irreplacable and has a great deal of sentimental value as well.

They are irreplaceable. And I'd never talk Chuck into another sound hole, either.

Just grab your favourite and run, I say.

Would have to be my 16in scale concert made for me by Allen at Barron River. I get pleasure from playing this beautiful instrument every day, all my others get a bit of attention now and again, but this uke, calls me to play it! Once he finishes my baritone , I'll likely have to grab two Ukes but for now, just this one.

The first one within reach (uke, guitar, banjo or mandolin).

Top Bottom