• Damaged, but in one piece

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • In two or more pieces

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Unrecognizable as a musical instrument

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
LOm5jpm.jpg

I'm not home anymore so that's the only picture I have.

Sorry it arrived damaged :( Hopefully some good glue can fix that but I am no luthier!

Bummer - even if it's not a super -expensive instrument I hate to see anything needlessly damaged - not even vandalised bus-shelters.
At least you haven't lost anything and he may still be able to claim insurance despite inadequate packaging. Sorry you were disappointed.

I know usps has automatically a $50 insurance applied to any priority mail parcel. At least you can claim that for a repair bill.

I had a similar experience several years back. I bought an fairly pricey 8-string bass from a guy, and was shocked when it showed up at my doorstep (from a cross-country trip!) in nothing but a soft case with a UPS tag tied around the handle. The good news? The bass was absolutely fine and I played it for many years without issue. Even the case wasn't much worse for wear from the trip.

I can't promise the same will be true of your uke, but here's at least one example of the instrument showing up unscathed. (That being said, I DON'T recommend shipping stuff that way!!!)

Much respect to UPS for taking care of that package.

Kind of reminds me of the European bicycle company shipping their bikes in TV boxes so that shippers would take better care of them.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/25/13048668/vanmoof-shipping-damages-dutch-bicycle-design

I feel like it'll be okay if I get some glue in there. Any tips on how much glue/how long to let it sit?

It's okay. I'm kind of used to things not fully panning out for me. Something always throws it off.

I just noticed this though, it seems like it was already repaired. There's a bit of glue on the side of the fretboard. So maybe that's why it broke.

After 4 months I finally decided to give it a go. I put some multi purpose cement stuff in there and clamped it down. It seems to be holding pretty well, but who knows how long that will last. The good part is is the neck was never fully detached. The fretboard was still connected to the body and was holding on pretty strongly. It was just the heel of the neck that was detached. If this doesn't work, I'll get some wood glue tomorrow.

After 4 months I finally decided to give it a go. I put some multi purpose cement stuff in there and clamped it down. It seems to be holding pretty well, but who knows how long that will last. The good part is is the neck was never fully detached. The fretboard was still connected to the body and was holding on pretty strongly. It was just the heel of the neck that was detached. If this doesn't work, I'll get some wood glue tomorrow.

As has already been suggested, the glue you need is Titebond. But I've had that happen to me a few times (on an early design Kala slimline tenor - with a very slimline heel!). Rather than do-it-myself, I took it to a local luthier to be fixed. Cost? £20 for the first repair, and pretty much free after that, as he reckoned it was his fault if it went a 2nd time (which was very nice of him, since the problem was in the design, not his craftsmanship). I don't know how much Titebond costs in Buffalo NY, but I'd guess it'd be not much less than half the price of a luthier repair.

I was reading up on that glue and was going to try that out if the stuff I had didn't work. I just took it off the clamps and it seems to be holding really well! I think she's going to be okay!

I was reading up on that glue and was going to try that out if the stuff I had didn't work. I just took it off the clamps and it seems to be holding really well! I think she's going to be okay!

Good to hear. Wish you well.

Good to hear. Wish you well.

Thank you. So the cement stuff is holding, but it stretched a bit so I put the clamps back on. It says it takes 24 hours to cure, so it's been about 18. Idk if it will be any better in 6 hours.

Top Bottom