FS Pete Howlett korina tenor ukulele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc_J

Reaction score
While waiting for a custom Pete Howlett build, I couldn't pass up trying a Korina wood tenor by Pete, having followed its build earlier this year on FB. This hand-built tenor from Pete Howlett is gorgeous (looks and tone). It sounds amazing in reentrant (it probably sounds equally good in low g also, but never tried). This new 2016 Howlett is built flawlessly and light, simple and clean. It has a flat lacquer finish, thats really works to make it feel playable and accessible. The Korina wood (a.k.a. Limba) has beautiful dark striped grains on the back, front and sides. The expertly hand-carved neck is alder with leadwood used for the non-radiused fingerboard. The bridge appears to be ebony and the Pete Howlett signature “Mt. Snowden” head plate is burled walnut and birdseye maple. It is currently strung with Martin tenor strings and comes in a deluxe ABS case

Its sound is loud, clear, with good note separation and evenness across the strings (reentrant) with nice tonal balance. The build quality is as good as any custom uke on market. The uke is precision built. The fretwork is outstanding, smooth fast. The tang ends were trimmed back prior to insertion for a bound fretboard look and feel without binding. The collaboration of Pete with his luthier partner, Tommy Ziegenspeck positively influenced his recent builds. This tenor was built in Spring of 2016 and is excellent condition with no dings, scratches, strum marks or playing wear. Aside from a near invisible lower bout edge dimple (pin-head sized), the instrument is flawless. It is a stunning ukulele and I am only selling this tenor as my custom Howlett arrived late December 2016. As usual I’m trying to limit my number of ukes and since I have 2 Howletts in my collection I will sell one.

Asking $1250 shipped CONUS Fed Ex Ground

Sold

Here’s a recent sound sample:
https://app.box.com/s/76km5jfovxtw309d36lgnfc73hnmx7h4

Pictures

P1070852_zpsxgzkq3go.jpg

P1070851_zpsz0vqtjx3.jpg

P1070854_zpsvgctm9cq.jpg

P1070857_zps31ertbqz.jpg

Last edited:
Hodge, you are killing me. After my post inquiring about tenor necked Ukes that are a little different than the norm, you post this.

As this is a wood that is not used very often, what do you feel it is closest to in regards to woods that most of us are familiar with?

It is stunning.

Yeah I remember him posting it recently Lenny. Is it a thin body Hodge?

Dang. That's a sweet looking uke.

Hodge, you are killing me. After my post inquiring about tenor necked Ukes that are a little different than the norm, you post this.

As this is a wood that is not used very often, what do you feel it is closest to in regards to woods that most of us are familiar with?

It is stunning.

Korina is also know as Limba or Black Limba.

If you go the Gibson website you'll find this write up of Korina..."The mere mention of Korina wood in the same breath with a guitar makes many guitarists and collectors drool. It is, after all, the wood used to build some of the most legendary Gibsons of all time—the original Flying V and the Explorer.....

Considered by most experts to be a “super mahogany” or “mahogany deluxe,” Korina wood bears a strong resemblance to mahogany in both tone and grain characteristics. Those same experts also agree that Korina has a sweeter midrange, with enhanced responsiveness, which would seemingly make it more desirable as a guitar-making wood."

Apparently some luthiers consider it hard to work.
http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/korinawoodmakesgreatguitar.aspx

Yeah I remember him posting it recently Lenny. Is it a thin body Hodge?

The body is 2.4" deep at the lower bout and 2.0" at the upper bout. So it's a bit thinner than your standard tenor. But, the sound is full and projecting, not boxy.

Lovely sounding instrument. The notes have a very bell like ring with lots of clarity. Good luck with the sale.

Last edited:
Hodge, is this the you one referred to as Slim Jim on the other thread? I didn't make the connection until now.

Hodge, is this the you one referred to as Slim Jim on the other thread? I didn't make the connection until now.
Yes, this the one.

This uke is now sold. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom