WTB interesting concerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

valde002

Reaction score
I only play concerts. After I saw that the Collings concert was no longer for sale, I thought I'd let the thread group know that I am always looking out for a possible new/used concert that is not run of the mill. If anyone ever has any to put up here, please PM me or know that I am constantly scanning. Thanks.

I'm a big Collings fan myself (have both a UC3MSB and UT3MSB). Check out the Takumi's at HMS. Takumi is the distributor for Kiwaya and LoPrinzi and they have these made by a very talented Japanese luthier. They are fantastic sounding and flawlessly finished. I've played both of them that are at HMS as well as several that were at NAMM this year (one of which I am buying through HMS). I believe they are exceptional values.

I have a cedar/flamed koa Covered Bridge concert that I planned to post in the next week or so. I took it on trade for a banjo uke only because I thought it would be easier to sell than a banjo uke. $750 shipped. PM me if you're interested.

I'm a big Collings fan myself (have both a UC3MSB and UT3MSB). Check out the Takumi's at HMS. Takumi is the distributor for Kiwaya and LoPrinzi and they have these made by a very talented Japanese luthier. They are fantastic sounding and flawlessly finished. I've played both of them that are at HMS as well as several that were at NAMM this year (one of which I am buying through HMS). I believe they are exceptional values.

I have a cedar/flamed koa Covered Bridge concert that I planned to post in the next week or so. I took it on trade for a banjo uke only because I thought it would be easier to sell than a banjo uke. $750 shipped. PM me if you're interested.

I saw the Takumi on HMS. Seems like it's been there a long time. And there are hardly any reviews/videos on it. The Takumi website doesn't even have it listed on there. What's wrong with it I wonder??

Thanks on the CB, will do some research on it.

I saw the Takumi on HMS. Seems like it's been there a long time. And there are hardly any reviews/videos on it. The Takumi website doesn't even have it listed on there. What's wrong with it I wonder??

Thanks on the CB, will do some research on it.

There is nothing wrong with it. It's as good as any concert I've played. There were two but one sold recently. I think the reason they haven't sold it is they are new to having ukes under their own name. Most importantly, they are made by Yusuke Kawakami, who is not new ot making ukes. Takumi is the process of upgrading their web site.

The one I'm getting is Honduran Mahogany. I'll post a review of it when it arrives (probably a few weeks away as it has to go to HMS first).

I have an unusual concert, at least I haven't seen another one like it, it's a Baton Rouge solid spruce thinline cutaway with a MiSi pickup, (just for info though, as I'm not intending to sell it). :)

My wife and I have been collecting antiques for many years and I have learned that if something is unique or hard to find, and you want it and have the funds available, that you work out a price as soon as possible because you may not get the opportunity again. If you wait for the seller to reduce the price because it has not sold, you run the high risk of someone else buying it or the seller deciding that, as in the case of my Collings, realizing that they don't want to part with it after all. Just food for thought.

I have received a few emails regarding the Collings and I apologize to anyone that was trying to decide whether or not to buy it. I realize that it was not inexpensive, so an immediate decision is sometimes not an option, but in this case, the more I played it, the more I wanted to play it. In the last week I have played it more than any other and I am glad that I still have it. The wood has a beautiful glow and 3D shimmery affect like Koa. It was also suggested by another member that because Collings no longer makes Ukuleles, I might want to keep it. I don't know if Collings ever made another in Mountain Cedar, that being a non standard wood for a UC2. If they didn't, they should have.

Last edited:
...Takumi is the distributor for Kiwaya and LoPrinzi...

HMS may not be the only Loprinzi vendor, since Uke Republic has more than a dozen different models in stock right now.

see: http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/products?utf8=✓&search=LOPRINZI

I have also heard through the grapevine that the 'Sailor Brand' ukes sold by Uke Republic may be of similar build, quality and tone to the Loprinzi ukes, but I admit that have no first-hand experience with either brand.

I have the prototype for the Omega Klasiko limited run ukuleles - it's a cedar top concert. It's a bit rough and ready - needed the fret ends filing, there's a bubble in the laminate sides and some untidy glue in the body - but it's a sound cannon. Matt over at Omega (now at World of Ukes) offered me it at a steal. I've sometimes thought about offering it up for a new player as good sound at a low price but I've always held off. It is one of a kind and it does sound brilliant. Either I'll always have it or there will be someone who'll really benefit from it that I'll pass it on to.

HMS may not be the only Loprinzi vendor, since Uke Republic has more than a dozen different models in stock right now.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, HMS is a LoPrinzi dealer. As is Uke Republic. Takumi is the distributor.

If you're still interested in a Collings concert, there are a couple used ones to be had at AMW. Steve Miklas is pretty nice guy to deal with as well. Very well connected to Collings.

http://acousticmusicworks.com/ukuleles/new-collings-ukulele-uc-2-custom-walnut-2150

http://acousticmusicworks.com/recen...-custom-spalted-pecan-full-body-sunburst-2150

Every Collings concert I've played has been tremendous, so I would highly recommend trying one. Keep watching the boards. Another is bound to turn up eventually.

Good luck!

-Steve

There is nothing wrong with it. It's as good as any concert I've played. There were two but one sold recently. I think the reason they haven't sold it is they are new to having ukes under their own name. Most importantly, they are made by Yusuke Kawakami, who is not new ot making ukes. Takumi is the process of upgrading their web site.

The one I'm getting is Honduran Mahogany. I'll post a review of it when it arrives (probably a few weeks away as it has to go to HMS first).

While I don't expect to have it until next week, here is the Takumi concert that captured my heart at NAMM:

Really love its tone!

very nice. I did not see this for sale at the HMS site. You must've gotten special dibs?

unless it sold already you have to email Andrew and see if still available...most of the custom ukes from HMS goes to the Ukulele Site Vimeo Channel first then they are listed....:)

unless it sold already you have to email Andrew and see if still available...most of the custom ukes from HMS goes to the Ukulele Site Vimeo Channel first then they are listed....:)

thanks for the info! I emailed and asked, but I never get lucky enough to get stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom