Weird tuning issue.

You are right, and I too have developed a better ear through the process. But for the sake of discussion, in an emergency, when everyone's tuner battery is dead, the back up tuners are dead, and no one has their phones with their tuner apps and nobody has their emergency tuning fork or pitch pipe with them, and there isn't a piano available, hypothetically everyone could just tune off of one person's A string, and everyone would be good to go. I'm not arguing with anyone. I use my tuner. I'm just talking. Nothing better to do I guess. Speaking of, does anyone use a pitch pipe anymore? I've been thinking of it just for fun.

Yup, that's what they did in the good old days. I wonder how they achieved consensus on whose "A" was correct? Majority rules?

In the good old days they used gut strings, which give the best sound when they are just below breaking point. In the very old days the instruction for lutes and similar was to tune the top string until just before it breaks.

So maybe one ukulele was chosen / 'volunteered' as a sacrificial instrument and duly tuned until the top string did break, then everyone else (who had of course been listening carefully) tuned to about a semi-tone below.

:D

Yup, that's what they did in the good old days. I wonder how they achieved consensus on whose "A" was correct? Majority rules?

Probably the leader of the band got the honors, and everyone else had to tune up. Yesterday I found a little ceramic turtle flute about the size of a half dollar that I got in Mexico somewhere, and I took my tuner app on my phone and tried to see if I could find a note on it to tune to. Sadly, it seems that the little turtle flute is not in tune with any actual notes. It was a fun idea while it lasted.

Top Bottom