Buy a Martin S0 before 20% tax on Mexican import

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or just wait and buy the US made SO when Martin eventually brings production of it back here. :p

Also, shouldn't this be in either Uke Talk or Buying Tips?

I doubt that a rank beginner is going to spend $400 for a mexican Martin as their first uke since most newbies have trouble getting their heads around spending only $50 for a Makala Dolphin.

IN any case, there will be no wall because it is STOOPID and nobody is going to spend the eleventy trillion dollars it would take to build it, which will take longer than 4 or 8 yrs any way. It's just spreading of feathers like a Peacock does to intimidate rivals...

Or just wait and buy the US made SO when Martin eventually brings production of it back here. :p

Lol. Yeah, that'll happen. Everything's coming back. Hahahaha. Aw, man. It's really not even funny, but oh well. If only it were that easy before this genius! This thread will be locked in about ten seconds, peace. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
IN any case, there will be no wall because it is STOOPID and nobody is going to spend the eleventy trillion dollars it would take to build it, which will take longer than 4 or 8 yrs any way. It's just spreading of feathers like a Peacock does to intimidate rivals...

Since UU doesn't have a LIKE button as FB does, just allow me to give you an electronic thumbs up.

I don't care this whole discussion is moot anyways, because I don't like a soprano w only 12 frets.

"Every $300 you spend on a foreign made instrument ends up in a foreign bank, never to come back to your country, unless you borrow it back at a high interest rate. It is $300 less in your economy to create jobs and lifestyle for you and your family. Every 1m instruments, sold @ $300 each, takes $300m out of your economy, never to come back, it sits in the bank account of a rich foreign person. Many of the rich foreign people wont even spend it in their local economy where millions are living in poverty, they just think they are cool because they have a big bank balance."

This does not occur with some ukes, such as Cocobolo Ukuleles. Kevin (the owner) isn't rich by any means, and the money they make feeds the families of the workers. They even plant a new cocobolo tree each time one is cut down. Kevin and his wife have a Utah address so I'm sure some of the earnings get spent in the US.

Since UU doesn't have a LIKE button as FB does, just allow me to give you an electronic thumbs up.
Thanks brother!

Means a lot.

I am amused by the grandstanding of Mr. YUGE.

Aside from fiscal effects imposed by his Office (or should I say Orifice), the rest of it all is likely be like a dark comedy...or a Tragedy (in the old Greek drama sense only hopefully)...entertaining and frustrating at the same time! YIPPEE!!!

Unfortunately, making it harder to trade with Mexico will not bring back manufacturing, it will simply send the work further offshore. You will be more likely to have that Asian Martin SO that you have always dreamed of.:wallbash:

Always good to hear from you Steve. You always make me think.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, making it harder to trade with Mexico will not bring back manufacturing, it will simply send the work further offshore. You will be more likely to have that Asian Martin SO that you have always dreamed of.

You mean a Kiwaya? ;)

Hi, EDW!

About 40 years ago, it was definitely Japanese manufactures which made Martin's and Gibson's imitations. But now other countries may make it instead.
I have never seen a Gibson imitation 'ukulele.

The 12 fret Martin SO hasnt been made in many years. The new S1 has 14 frets . I prefer the 12 fret SO . Those extra frets sound useless to me.

Last edited:
Seeing as how this thread is political in nature, I am inclined to ask that people tread very lightly in here. I am not deleting it yet, but it is arguably doomed from the start. I am moving it from beginner to buyer tips though.

Hi, wicked!

I am very sad that you moved this thread in to buying tips. Because I wanted to talked it as beginner. Could you just close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom