Seasons of the Uke #259 - It's GROUNDHOG DAY!!

This is another version, this one features a Shaker egg (in my strumming hand), Bass drum (left foot) and foot Tamborine (right foot). So everything was recorded live, doing this is much harder then I already thought it would be.

Boodle Am Shake is a fun song from the great jazz composer Spencer Williams. In Part A, I'm doing this "raw," with no reverb, multi tracking, or even green-screen!

Here's Part B of Boodle Am Shake, in which I added some synth instruments, reverb, and a fun background.

Anyone brave enough to take on A & B versions of Philip Glass's 4' 33"?

Philip - from Gk. Philo-hippus horse-lover, btw :)

Some famous musical Phils
Code:
Phil Anselmo - Pantera
Phil Collen – Def Leppard
Phil Collins - Genesis
Phil Everley
Philip Glass
Phil Lesh – Grateful Dead
Phil Lynott – Thin Lizzy
Phil Keaggy
Phil Manzanera – Roxy Music
Philip Oakey – Human League
Phil Ochs
Phil Robertson – Idle Eyes
Phil Rudd – AC/DC
Phil Selway – Radiohead
Phil Seymour - Dwight Twilley Band
Phil Spector

Felipe/(Felicia?)? Filippo? Philippa/Pippa/Pip? You’re on your own :)

Last edited:
And Phil Miller, who played guitar for National Health, Hatfield and the North, and Matching Mole. All of which translate oh so well to the uke. :uhoh:

I have a wonderful subscriber who always leaves the most thoughtful comments on my videos and recently asked what process there is to choosing a Uke for a song (which has recently changed now that my old Bari lives at school spreading the mojo). It was an interesting question and this season allows me to give you a little window into what life is like for the Cloverdale Wife.
Essentially, I find the song I want to do, and then the whole gang comes out. I usually play the song in more than one key...and so on.
Stylistic variation will be hard for me because I have my own groove, but key changes and different instruments is easy.
Anyway- I will shut up and play you all another Lost Dog Street Band Song that I really love.
When I went Down To Georgia- done very late last night (I don't know when it is midnight in HI-so I saved it for now. ), in the Key of C on a giant Banjolele (SLingerland Maybelle Irish Tenor 1930's tuned DGBE with nylon strings)...Haven't played in C since I quit smoking...not sure I should again :)

Last edited:
And part Two in F on a Kamoa Pineapple that is RED...That is important. It is RED. Standard tuning

Last edited:
And more talk story huh? That same comment from UkefanSumner also quipped that it would be interesting to see the song I had done in little snippets on all my ukes. They really do have their own voices not that I could ever convince Melissa of that.
In any event, Our gracious host has given me permission to play the same song, over and over again, on all of them...in the spirit of the film Groundhog day, until I get it right.
Here it is in D which I never sing in, with a 1930's Slingerland Maybelle 6" Banjolele- standard tuning

Anyone brave enough to take on A & B versions of Philip Glass's 4' 33"?

Philip - from Gk. Philo-hippus horse-lover, btw :)

Some famous musical Phils
Code:
Phil Anselmo - Pantera
Phil Collen – Def Leppard
Phil Collins - Genesis
Phil Everley
Philip Glass
Phil Lesh – Grateful Dead
Phil Lynott – Thin Lizzy
Phil Keaggy
Phil Manzanera – Roxy Music
Philip Oakey – Human League
Phil Ochs
Phil Robertson – Idle Eyes
Phil Rudd – AC/DC
Phil Selway – Radiohead
Phil Seymour - Dwight Twilley Band
Phil Spector

Felipe/(Felicia?)? Filippo? Philippa/Pippa/Pip? You’re on your own :)

Leave us not forget Phil McCracken! He writes songs about spackle.

This song was written by Phil Spector. The first time I heard this song, it was Peter and Gordon's version on a "Best of" album that I won at a ring-toss game at a carnival when I was about 12. The biggest prize I had ever won up to that time, maybe ever!

SOTU 259A: Poor Poor Pitiful Me (Zevon) uke cover

Here's something that may (if you're very imaginative) resemble Warren Zevon's original.

Or not. It's a fun song, anyway. I did this very early in my days as a Seasonista. But this recording is new.

SOTU 259B: Poor Poor Pitiful Me (Ronstadt) uke cover

This one's the version you may be more familiar with, if it were played and sung A LOT better. At least the arrangement's closer to the one Linda Ronstadt used!

This song was written by Sonny Curtis of the Crickets. He wrote it while on basic training for the US Army, and having been given a few days leave he sang the song to the Everly Brothers who liked it and said they would record it if he would write a second verse. Sonny Curtis wrote the second verse when he went back to the army and mailed to the Everly Brothers (Phil Connection!). Meantime they had already recorded it, just singing the first verse twice which was the version that was a hit. You can get the story in more detail on Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_Right_Back

I've done it both ways; with one verse sung twice using a tenor uke in re-entrant tuning in the key of A and then using a baritone uke in linear tuning in the key of B but with both verses included. The ending is also slightly different in each case. I've put them together in a single video. The two versions are labelled in the video.

If you'd prefer two separate videos, Gina, let me know (PM) and I'll split them.

Last edited:
I did a search on iTunes last night, and found that a new band called MAZE (not the R&B band) put out their first single just a month ago, and it's called "Groundhog Day"! After the movie, not the holiday. It was really catchy, so I downloaded it and learned it.

By the way, I am known in the Northeast as James Groundhogsbane. Groundhogs fling themselves beneath the wheels of my vehicle in despair. Anyway, both times I ever road-killed an animal it was a groundhog whose last words were, "Naah, I can make it. Watch!"

Greetings,

Let the games begin. Going to listen to first round of vids tonight and load to the list..keep 'em coming :)

Top Bottom