Wanting to get into Blues Slide playing...

Fuzzbass

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a beginner to using a slide on the Uke? I have small hands. Any recommendations as to make, material, size gratefully received :)

Slide on nylon strings ,in my experience doesn't really work that well on acoustic. You either need to go loud (amplify ) and /or preferably use steel strings, which aren't uke friendly, unless purpose built like the Risa epiphoneor ...so you may want to look at a "Diddlybow" ...or a DAD tuned three string cigar box guitbow.......you can tune to other keys as well.

Having said that ,try a glass slide on your monkeypod electro, you may want to tune to open G GDGB and work on the chords ...open being G..2nd Fret A
4th B ,5th C ,7th D ,9th E ,10th F ,and then 12th G again.

The ones in between being the sharps and flats of course !!

Last edited:
I'd suggest trying a Sears 5/8 in. deep socket, if you've got one in the toolbox, just to see how you like it. What kind of slide to use is a matter of personal preference, kind of like nylon vs. fluorocarbon strings. The timing of your question coincides with the posting of two (high quality recording) videos from NAMM last week. They both seem to be acoustic (unamplified). Jason is in an open C tuning. I'm not sure what tuning Willie K uses, but it's likely something open as CeeJay suggests.

The first is using a metal slide (on the ring finger) and a wound bass.

Last edited:
And the second using a glass slide (on the pinky) and probably fluorocarbon strings.

I took a class on slide uke from Jason Arimoto. In the class we used glass slides and tuned the A string down to G (open C tuning). Slide works better with high action. Jason gave us Q-tips to slide under the strings at the nut to raise the action (break off the cotton tips).

While I like a deepwell socket for playing slide guitar, I find it way too heavy for uke. I like a ceramic slide for uke. I find I get as much volume using the slide on nylon strings as I do using my fingers. I usually tune the first string down to a G. If I were playing more slide, I'd use a low G on the 4th string.

Hey Geetee, I get some real weird looks when I go to the hardware store and ask to try on some sockets. Have you experienced this?

I'm a little late to this thread, but I'm on a vacation, and only have some pill bottles. Gonna give it a try. LOL

Top Bottom