Song Help Request Tab Request: 99 Luftballons, Nena--riff

Demimondaine

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to play the keyboard riff at 2:54 in "99 Luftballons" by Nena. Can I get another pair of ears on this?

Do you use a low g or high g 4th? I can look at it and see. I tend to play the song as a whole, so this would be what I would try to combine as a chord/solo note combo. Something like this...

chord note note note chord note note .... chord note note note note note chord
nine- ty nine zist(?) luft- ba- loons

would that work for your version? What chords/key are you using?

I'm playing in G on standard GCEA tuning. I think a chord melody is a great idea, but I don't know which notes to play--can you help me?

I will do my best. Give me a little time to look at it. It's a fun song and should sound "funner" on the uke! =)

Ok. I will have to transpose from original key to G. One more question, are you playing this song solo, or as part of a group. The solo performance lends itself to the combo of chords and notes better (fuller sound), but if you are tasked with playing this part only, while another player or group members play the melody/main parts, then a basic one note at a time kind of solo works better and will not step on any other parts. I will work on it this weekend. I figured out the standard tuning keyboard solo/lead this morning and it looks like it will transpose nicely with the chords you are using to be able to be played around the first few frets as a compliment to the chords! =) yay! I love the peppiness of this song too, it's perfect for the uke!

Here is the tab for the key lead at the end of this song as far as played simply one note at a time. The idea is to add these notes to the chording structure as you go, giving you a chord/fill effect. Some of the notes are already in the chord used at that point in the song, so that is a good place to sweep the chord down the strings, and add the fill notes in between. I will post an example of that next, but this should give you a good idea of how the notes pivot around the 1st three frets and open strings, just like the chords do. Since the 12the fret repeats, you could also play this at the 12th fret using the 12th fret as the open (0) notes. The original key lead is actually in that octave but in a lower key (played around the 10-12th frets I think), but since you are playing the song solo it would be best to play it this way...

G.........Am...C........D.............G........Am...C.......D..........

2-3---3-2-----333-3-3-2-0------2-3--3-2-----333-3-5-2-0----
-----3-----3-0---------------3--------3----3-----------------3---
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
:G::::::::::Am:::::::C::::::: D:::::::::::: G::::::::: Am:::::: C::::::: D::::::::
-2--3—3----2---------3-33-3-3-2-0---------2--3—3---2---------3-33-3-5-2-0----
-3----3------0-3-0----0-------2------3------3----3-----0--3-0---0-------2------33-
-2-----------0---------0-------2--------------2----------0---------0-------2---------
-------------2----------0-------2-------------------------2---------0-------2---------

You could also end on the G chord (instead of just the last single note) for a big finish, since the songs ends abruptly on that note:

:G::::::::::Am:::::::C::::::: D:::::::::::: G::::::::: Am:::::: C::::::: D::::::::
-2--3—3----2---------3-33-3-3-2-0---------2--3—3--- 2-------- 3-33-3-5-2-0----2-!
-3----3------0-3-0----0-------2------3------3----3-----0--3-0--- 0-------2------3-3-!
-2-----------0---------0-------2--------------2----------0---------0-------2---------2-!
-------------2---------0-------2------------------------- 2---------0-------2-----------

Last edited:
Now please keep in mind that this is my 1st attempt at tabbing anything, I play by ear, and I am a recovering guitar player. This also looks completely different on a phone, so please use desktop version/format.

Last edited:
ok, guess I lost you. This may not sound "high enough" because when you changed the key you forced the position on the fret board up from around the 10-12th to the 12th through the 14thish (don't have my uke in front of me right now), which is kind of hard to play on the uke because of the body of the uke (unless you have a cut away uke) and will not fit into the strum/solo pattern you wanted to do. That is the problem with trying to cover the "full sound" of a song that has 86 piano keys, 6 guitar strings/22 frets, 4 bass strings available... on 4 nylon strings and 12 frets!

KyMojo; said:
Now please keep in mind that this is my 1st attempt at tabbing anything, I play by ear, and I am a recovering guitar player. This also looks completely different on a phone, so please use desktop version/format.

Hi Kentucky: These were a really great couple of posts. As regards formatting tab, a handy hint is to wrap the tab inside the ['code']['/code'] tags. You can either do this by typeing what I just typed (leaving out the quote marks which I had to put there to make them visible), or highlighting the text and clicking the # icon in the 'Go Advanced' menu bar.

Anything inside the 'code /code' tags is formatted in monospace, so everything lines up regardless of what size its displayed at. So when I'm preparing tab for posting in a message in the forum, what I do is prepare it in Courier in Wordpad or Notepad, and once I've got everything lined up there, copy and paste it into the code tags in my post....

G.........Am...C........D.............G........Am...C.......D..........

2-3---3-2-----333-3-3-2-0------2-3--3-2-----333-3-5-2-0----
-----3-----3-0---------------3--------3----3-----------------3---
Code:
G     Am    C      D        G     Am    C      D
2-3-3-2-----3-33-3-3-2-0----2-3-3-2-----3-33-3-5-2-0---
---3----3-0--------------3-----3----3-0--------------3-
-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------

See how everything all lines up inside the 'code' tags? If you click on 'reply with quote', you'll see that what I've posted here is all over the place in the edit window, even though it lines up perfectly in 'Preview Post', which is why I suggest not trying to write the tab directly into the message, but getting it all lined up in Courier in a simple text editor such as Wordpad or Notepad before dropping it inside the 'code' tags. HTH, and thanks for a great set of tabs!!

Code:
:G:::::::: Am:::::: C::::: D:::::::::: G::::::: Am::::: C::::: D::::::::
-2--3—3----2--------3-33-3-3-2-0-------2--3—3---2-------3-33-3-5-2-0----
-3----3----0-3-0----0------2------3----3--3-----0--3-0--0------2-----33-
-2---------0--------0------2-----------2--------0-------0------2--------
-----------2--------0------2--------------------2-------0------2--------

You could also end on the G chord (instead of just the last single note) for a big finish, since the songs ends abruptly on that note:
Code:
:G:::::::: Am:::::: C::::: D::::::::::: G::::::: Am:::::: C::::: D::::::: G
-2--3—3----2--------3-33-3-3-2-0--------2--3—3---2--------3-33-3-5-2-0----2-!
-3----3----0-3-0----0------2-----3------3----3---0--3-0---0------2------3-3-!
-2---------0--------0------2------------2--------0--------0------2--------2-!
-----------2--------0------2---------------------2--------0------2----------!

Top Bottom