Need help..... Regal resonator tenor guitar

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase a Regal resonator tenor guitar. I have not seen it yet, just pictures but it appears to be an old one. A friend of a friend inherited it from his uncle, he doesn't play and is looking to sell it. He has no concept of value and neither do I. Any ideas on how to date this and determine a value. I am thinking of taking it to a shop. I'm in the Toronto area so probably The 12th Fret.

I know nothing about resonators other than the cone and biscuit is a big deal and if they are buggered it is trouble. What should I be looking for when inspecting this instrument. I know the usual stuff but I have never bought a vintage instrument before and as I said previously I've never touched a resonator.

Thanks for your help

IMG_0543.jpgIMG_0544.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a perfect fit for you Dave. Based on our conversations and my limited experience with resonator guitars, I think you will like the tone! Hopefully they will let you take it to a professional for inspection before you have to commit to buying it! Good luck!

Sounds like a perfect fit for you Dave. Based on our conversations and my limited experience with resonator guitars, I think you will like the tone! Hopefully they will let you take it to a professional for inspection before you have to commit to buying it! Good luck!

Thanks Kevin, I will insist on taking it to a pro for inspection. I was just wondering if any one knows how to date this or even where to look for a serial number for starts.

I own this guitar, and it's wonderful. Assuming it's either up to snuff, or able to made so within your budget, it's a keeper, especially as there are no spider-cone tenors in production right now (National, Gold Tone, and Republic all make biscuit-cone tenors).

Note the photo from the Antebellum page with the patent number on the cover plate - that's the Dobro cone patent. As far as I'm aware these Regals used authentic Dobro cones, but good to confirm it.

The neck on mine is thick, like a baseball bat. Something I had to get used to but it's not a big deal, and in certain ways it's actually helpful in how it orients my palm and fingers.

One thing you shouldn't expect is volume. It's fine for playing solo, but when playing with a group I always had to plug in with a clamp-on mic.

Top Bottom