Hi from Maryland!

EleanorD

Reaction score
I am Eleanor and I'm so excited about UU!! I have a 20 month old little boy and when I practice playing he rips my ukulele out of my hands and screams NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I would like to get better so I can teach him to play. I grew up in a family of musicians but I wasn't interested in learning when I was young. I regret that. I'm now 34. Better late than never:)

Last edited:
Greetings and welcome. I'll bet there are more than a few here that hear that when they start playing as well. Patience and practice, the two more important ingredients in uke playing aside from loving to play.

I am Eleanor and I'm so excited about UU!! I have a 20 month old little boy and when I practice playing he rips my ukulele out of my hands and screams NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I would like to get better so I can teach him to play. I grew up in a family of musicians but I wasn't interested in learning when I was young. I regret that. I'm now 34. Better late than never:)

I just want to let you know--and all the other beginning and "normal" players--that you are doing what music educators always wanted. The goal was to have you become independent learners so that you could learn and play (not just consume) your own music.

I would encourage you to send your old music teacher (you had one in school at some point, even if "just" in elementary school) a note and let them know what you are doing today. It might change their day, month, or year.

And just keep having fun. One of my daily routines is singing "Jesus Loves Me" with my boys as they go to bed--playing my ukulele (I need to teach my 8 year old the chords).

Welcome to the forums. My granddaughter would look over and yell "stop playing" when she was about three. Now at five, she dances when I play.

Thanks a lot. I took Chorus all 4 years of high school. My teacher was one of the biggest influences in my life. Still is. Very talented pianist and song writer.

Hello, also from a new uker in Maryland!

I'm 35 and got my first ukulele in January, a Kala KA-C concert. I bought a guitar in late 2014, but after two months, I set it down and never seemed to pick it up again. I think it was a function of having relatively shorter fingers for my hand size (the ol' square shaped hands compared to rectangle). Then this year I decided that a ukulele would be the perfect option to try and get really into playing a stringed instrument (gotta have something for the campfire, right?). My previous musical experience was from school days when I played the alto, tenor, and baritone saxes for about a decade.

I have the same problem of an ungrateful audience. Every time I pick up my uke to play, my German Shepherd grabs her squeaky ball, jumps in my face and squeaks away like crazy.

Additionally, I appear to have caught a nasty case of Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome, having just ordered a Pono TT-4 Tahitian-style Tenor from The Ukulele Site. It looks as much like a work of art as a musical instrument and I'm probably going to chew off my own fingers in anticipation of its arrival (note: not recommended for ukulele players to do this). I've been rabidly scouring the web for YouTube videos and forums about ukuleles for the past few weeks.

Top Bottom