Season 260 : Roads Girdle the Globe

Instrumental version of "On the Street Where You Live" from musical My Fair Lady (1956), by Frederick Loewe.

For Season of the ukulele 260 ("Roads Girdle the Globe"), we're doing songs that have "street, road, boulevard", etc. in their titles.

Here's "Green Dolphin Street", a song by Bronislaw Kaper and Ned Washington. Written in 1947, the tune has become a jazz standard. For concert ukulele with whistling and singing, with an overdub of Ubass.

The first season I make demand on the limit.

1912/1943 (translation in yt description):
On Roper's Lane At Half Past Midnight.

The former roper's lane (Reeper-bahn) always was the amusing district in Hamburg's haven quarter St. Paul(i)'s

Last edited:
NoMan can kill the Nazghul! I have long been a fan of High Fantasy. The creation of Middle Earth was an astounding literary achievement by JRR Tolkien. Over and over again this poem appears in the work as sung by various characters. Ah but what was the tune? This is my modest attempt to answer that question.I hope you enjoy it.

And the final song: Les Champs Elysées

What I didn't know, it's original from England: Waterloo Road 1968 by Jason Crest
https://youtu.be/aKYUrxWRLHk
It became famous 1969 in France by Joe Dassin with (different and lovely) french lyrics. Dassin has an interesting vita between USA and Europe.

Streets, Roads etc. quite often get referenced in folk songs but there are surprisingly few with one in the title. Here is Rosemary Lane. It also goes by other names but Rosemary Lane seems to be the most common title.

Rosemary Lane in the 19th century was a somewhat disreputable street not far from the Tower of London. "A street of cheap boarding houses and shady second hand shops" was how it was described in one website I looked at. If you've ever read Dombey and Sons by Charles Dickens, it sounds like the sort of area that Florence Dombey ended up after she ran away from her father's house, though she ended up OK as the man she loved came back. The young lady in the song doesn't come out so well, though.

It was later renamed Royal Mint Street and has since gone more than a little up market as it's not far from St. Katherine's Dock which is now a very fashionable part of the City of London.

Sheesh. Recorded and did a minor edit of my video about 4 hours ago. It says the edit is still in progress.

For Season 260 Video 1 : "On The Road Again"

Last edited:
Season 260 Video 2: Road To Hell

here's a cute little song joo and I made especially for the week.
video featuring a special guest appearance from our esteemed host. :)

Top Bottom