Season 260 : Roads Girdle the Globe

Greetings,

Brief note - Groundhog Season Wrap up is in.

Ciao

I don't often do multiple songs in a week, but I absolutely had to do this tune given where I'm at, where I've been and this week's theme. A few days ago, I was in Moulmein (Mawlamyine). A week before that, I was in Mandalay. So this tune which is based on a famous Rudyard Kipling (flawed) poem needed to be covered. If you're familiar with the 1952 Frank Sinatra version, mine is more the 1909 Peter Dawson version.

Recorded at Setse Beach, about 70 miles south Old Moulmein. Sorry about the wind noise.

52 x 5 = 260... this is the final week of the Season's fifth year!

A song from Jason Crest...whom like Jethro Tull ,is not a man, but a band...named as a man ...Odd...they were not very successful commercially, but I think this should have been.......actually , to be fair ...I have never heard the original song ....I only know it from a version brought to the band Strings and Bowes by Judith Brown...and she sings it better than this !!!

52 x 5 = 260... this is the final week of the Season's fifth year!

If I remember correctly (and I probably don't), the 1st Season was on Valentine's Day week, and the theme was anti-love songs. I played 10cc's "I'm Not in Love".

"Oystershell Road," a song written by Mary Garvey and originally performed by Gordon Bok, recorded on his album "In Concert." The song is about oyster farming during World War 2, when the women had to replace the men who had gone off to fight in the war, or who were put in internment camps. You can read the lyrics here: http://www.timberheadmusic.com/disc/oystershellroad.htm Thanks for watching! :)

Here's some more comments. I thought I would get another dozen done after clearing the snow from the driveway (we got about 6 inches (15 cm) here, twice as high by the street where the plow pushes it up). But after an hour of pushing the snowblower around, I was tired enough that my ear-to-typing internal processor wasn't working.

Tomcat Wombat - Peace Trail - Beautiful job on a song I've never heard before. You've done a great job of getting some of Young's and Dylan's vocal mannerisms into these covers.

decaturcomp - Allison Road - Hey, great to see you on the Seasons, Alan! Nice work on this. It's not a song I know. I never listened to the Gin Blossoms, other than the occasional song I caught on the radio. I seem to recall they had a song that reminded me of "Time Will Show the Wiser".

IAmNoMan - On Broadway - I love hearing the way you apply your style to different songs, Tommy. Really nice job on this. I tend to always try seeing how much I can make the uke sound like the original record, I appreciate how folks like you can go in the other direction, taking the song and making it your own.

lelouden - She Never Could Resist a Winding Road - Kudos on both your performance, and for finding a Richard Thompson song I don't know. This was on Still, maybe the first Richard Thompson album in 30 years that I didn't buy. (I hadn't cared for the previous couple.) This reminds me that I have an unfinished song with a similar theme that I need to get around to finishing.

LucilleJustRocks - Dusty Roads - Very nice playing, Heino. Your baritone sounds very guitar-like on this. And your voice has the sound of the road to it. Well done.

xommen - Road to Nowhere - For every Season's theme, I have a list in my head of songs that I'm hoping will show up, and this is one of them. Thanks for playing it, Wim. This is an interesting take on the song, it gets very somber in the last minute. I haven't heard the Jars of Clay version, so I don't know if it's similar. The video reminds me of the final shot in the Burning Down the House video, with the projection of Byrne eating the white lines on the road.

AlanDP - True Love Travels on a Gravel Road - Well played and very well sung, Alan. With all the people who've covered this song, I don't remember ever hearing it before. I like the lyrics.

TCK - Highway 101 - I really like your vocal on this, Dave. I didn't think I knew this highway, but looking at a map, I think I drove it from Palo Alto to Santa Barbara one night in the early '80s.

Jazzbanjorex - Tobacco Road - That's a great bluesy sound that I wouldn't have figured to hear from a cigar box. Fantastic job on this, Rex.

wee_ginga_yin - Blackberry Way - I love the way your tendency is always to zag when others would zig in your arrangements. That's probably why I have several of your videos on my iPod. This song has a sad lyric? Oh, I think it could be sadder -- challenge accepted! That hat is a good approximation of Roy Wood's hair in the video I just watched.

Limousin Lil - The Streets of London - Wow, has that uke been tested for steroids? Good job on this. This song would have been a good choice for the "Saddest Songs in the World" Season. The only McTell songs I know are ones that Fairport Convention has done, so this isn't a song I've heard until now.

kolibri - On the Street Where You Live - Nicely played, Ylle. I like the grainy visual effect. These pictures look like my street today. We've had 15 cm of snow so far today, and it's still falling. By the way, I recently picked up a good album by the Estonian roots music band Trad.Attack! (The exclamation point is part of the band name.)

UkeFoote - Green Dolphin Street - Reverb week continues -- the amount on that opening whistle was impressive! The intro reminded me of Chicago's "Wishing You Were Here". And then it turned into something upbeat and jazzy and totally amazing! Way to go, Brian!

ukuleledaddy - Hard Road to Travel - Hey, Sean! This is great. A little Jimmy Cliff is always a good idea. This isn't one of the songs I knew by him.

elmann - Reeperbahn nachts um halb Eins - Nicely done. I expected a sopranino to sound more high-pitched than that. I had Google translate the lyrics for me, but their translation isn't that good, so I'm still not clear on the song. They got "Hottentot" right.

elmann - Penny Lane - This is one of my favorites so far this week. You've done a great job on this, and I'm impressed with how well you handled that key change on the last chorus. Songs with lots of interesting chord changes tend to sound great on the uke, and this song has a LOT of them. It's a perfect song for the ukulele.

IAmNoMan - The Road Goes Ever On - A good choice for this week. This is the most upbeat music I've ever heard put to this song. I wrote some music for it decades ago, and to this day whenever I hear any other music for it, I can't help thinking for a moment, "Wait, that's not how it goes." Even when I'm watching the Hobbit movie.

elmann - Les Champs Elysées - A prime bit of crooning here. As far as I know, neither the English or French version of this song became well known in the U.S. Google's translator did a lot better with this song than with your first one. I notice on this song how your left hand seems to nonchalantly glide from chord to chord, instead of jumping like most people's hands do.

We have exactly the same problem with snow, Jim ... the snow plough clears the road and it all ends up in our driveway. Fortunately, there isn't any at the moment, which is a good thing as we don't have anything as refined as a snow blower and have to rely on a good old shovel!

a beautiful song about the struggles we face, as parents, to let go.
from Martin Sexton's amazing Wonderbar LP.
my third and final submission. thank you again for an inspiring and fun week Jim.

Written by John D Loudermilk in 1960, this song was a hit both sides of the pond for the UK band, Nashville Teens in 1964. It has since been recorded and performed by many others. Here is my version.

SOTU 260 - Roads Girdle The Globe - I Dream Of Highways (Hoyt Axton Cover)

"I Dream Of Highways" by Hoyt Axton, one of my 3 favorite singer-songwriters. It was first published on his 1974 album, "Life Machine."

Here is one of my favorite "road" sonds, Dead Skunk In The Middle of The Road by Loudon Wainwright III

Wow... This is a tough one! I'm all over the internet looking for songs with "road, street," etc in the titles... lol... But, I'm not feeling any of them.

I'm enjoying these great submissions, though! Wow... You guys really rock it!

:)

From the Red Hot Chili Peppers' classic album "Californication" i found this gem I hadn't listened to in a very long time. I had fun figuring this one out for baritone. I wish I had time to layer in the harmony and bass lines. C'est la Vie!

So, been away for a bit, work, a cold and moving logistics can do that! But hey, I got one here for this week! How about a little Ozzy Osborn!!!:shaka:
The Road to Nowhere...Guilele and uke

Top Bottom