Eyesight problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ken
I work in operating theatres, helping with anaesthetics (including eye theatres)
If you are having your cataracts sorted, once you have the 1st one done, you will wonder why you worried.
I have never had one done but I have seen a few hundred! (I even wrote an article on ophthalmic anaesthesia for the Oxford Handbook of Perioperative Practice)
The procedure to numb your eye is very quick, and lets go as far as to say it is 'weird': lots of drops etc.. but just go with it.
As for the actual cataract removal? you just have to lay still for around 15-20 mins while the procedure/operation is carried out. The outcome WILL BE amazing.
Best wishes...

PM me if you want any more advise.
Thanks for your reassurance Kev ....I'm off back to the chicken coop :D

My Mum just had hers done a week ago and apart from looking like she just got punched in the face for a day or two she is telling anyone who will listen how she can now see better with her bad eye than she can with her good eye.
Hope everything goes as well for you.

I had mine done a few years ago, and am sure glad I did it. It's a short, painless procedure. I was awake the whole time, and could see the inspection lights with the affected eye while the doctor is working. It's astonishing when they swap in the new lens. Better then Wizard of Oz when it shifts to technicolor. That was for a short peek, then an eye patch for the rest of the day. Maybe it's a different process now, but it wasn't bad then.

I had it done in one eye in early 2016. Nobody likes to have surgery, but as surgery goes, it wasn't bad at all. No eye patch or pain, but plenty of eye drops for a month. No fear at all when the other one needs to be done. The only unnerving thing was the eye surgeon looked like a college kid.

Just got back from the eye clinic..didn't get the opp done but I met the surgeon and he checked me out and told me he would do the job in six weeks time co's he's busy.
But first I have to go back at the end of this month to get some measurments done....He also told me that my other eye was on the way out as well.

Rock on :rock:

While feeling at a loose end..and with not a lot to occupy my mind..I decided to go in the workshop and fit a bridge to a 17 fret soprano..what a struggle it turned out to be ..The right eye all blury and the left in mono vision with no idea of 3 dimensions but I finaly managed it ..the hardest part was scraping away the FP up to the scored lines..but with the bad eye closed and the other peering through the headvisor lense and taking it steady scraping one small area at a time in the end I got it all neatly scraped down to the wood...Then I applied glue to the bridge and it slipped out of my fingers onto the floor "glue side down of course":( picking up all sorts of grit and dust..so I had to clean it all off and start again..In the end I got the bridge on and clamped down..I'm now back in the house trying to steady myself after the ordeal with a nice fresh made pot of tea.;)

Last edited:
I've had cataract surgery, and my dad has had both eyes done in the last month, problem free. The surgery was really fast, in and out in a morning, and a months course of eyedrops. My eyes ten years on have never been better, and from the looks of my dads procedures, the surgery technology has moved on phenomenally. Look after your eyes, it's only when you loose them you realise how precious they are x

I had new lenses installed a few years ago which facilitated the need for reading glasses. I don't really need protection glasses beyond the plastic ones used in reading glasses. . I just ordered some 4x reading glasses to use instead of buying one of the larger, heavier magnifying glasses for nut filing, small chisel work, cleaning up rough edges, etc., etc. My 2.5x models tell me they'll work great.

It's now 24 hours since I had the operation ...and already I can see better than I could a week ago.

A couple of bandsaw blades I ordered have arrived this morning ready to slice up some Cuban Mahogany I bought last year and I'm getting the gear together to start building sopranos again as soon as I feel able.:D

Saw my eye doc today, got the heads-up -- when it gets a little worse, cataract surgery for me, too. And those opthalmic light shows? Been getting a few of these every year for the last decade, too. First time it happened, the doctor said, sit back and enjoy the colors -- harmless by itself, and they can't do anything about it anyhow. At least with the cloudy lenses, they can fix 'em.

I'm glad to read that you have had your eye/s sorted.
I hope everything was as myself and a few others explained.

You won't look back (pun intended!)
Best wishes
Kev

Great. Get well soon.
:rolleyes:

It's now 24 hours since I had the operation ...and already I can see better than I could a week ago.

A couple of bandsaw blades I ordered have arrived this morning ready to slice up some Cuban Mahogany I bought last year and I'm getting the gear together to start building sopranos again as soon as I feel able.:D

Getting back to building today after a long break ... I got out some African Mahogany sides I sanded down to thickness weeks ago and heated up the bender ..Commenced bending ...when I took them out I noticed they had wrinkles in the waist:( so they were broken up and scrapped..I did the next set on the hot pipe hand bending, still more wrinkles :(..so I scrapped the whole batch about 6 sets:mad:...next I got out some Sapele sides and started to bend these, I was confident they would bend ok without wrinkles and they were ok apart from a lump of masking tape that had fallen inside the bending cauls and resulted in one of the sides having a large defect imprint that wont steam out..I didn't know that making a soprano uke could be this difficult :wallbash: I have now retired to the house and I'm having a pot of tea before I start again.

After cracking a couple more sides I finaly got myself sorted out and produced two sets that i'm happy with, here they are holding shape in the stick machine...It's a good job I didn't start with the 4 Koa sets Ive been saving.;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom