Modern Strings don't fit on my Gold Label Kamaka

willroth

Reaction score
Greetings all,
I acquired a Gold Label Kamaka (circa 1950s). I tried to string it with new Aquila strings and the groove in the bridge won’t hold the “C” string. Is there a lighter gauge string out there? I don’t feel comfortable opening the groove on the bridge considering it has been this way for 60 years.
Thanks

Just to respectfully clarify the terminology, Will, are you talking about the groove in the "bridge" (down by the soundhole) or the groove in the "nut" (up by the tuning gears)? Either way, you might want to try Martin M-600 strings if your uke is a soprano or concert model, or Martin M-620 strings if you have a tenor size, as the Martins seem a little thinner in my experience, and may fit in the groove (or slot) better.

Just to respectfully clarify the terminology, Will, are you talking about the groove in the "bridge" (down by the soundhole) or the groove in the "nut" (up by the tuning gears)? Either way, you might want to try Martin M-600 strings if your uke is a soprano or concert model, or Martin M-620 strings if you have a tenor size, as the Martins seem a little thinner in my experience, and may fit in the groove (or slot) better.

I am talking about the groove on the bridge. I look into the Martin Stings. Thank you.

Also, you could flatten the end of the string (vise grips or hammer) to allow it to slip into place.....worked for me......my $0.02

When I got my White Label, the strings most recommended were Oasis, lights for brighter, medium for more mellow. I have the lights and wouldn't consider changing them for anything else. Bright without brash. Love them.

Top Bottom