Season 261 of the Ukulele.

TCK

Reaction score
I highlighted in blue for the cliff notes version...and I am not making a video of me rambling on forever as I tend to do.

<TCK>Forgive me father, it has been 138 seasons since my last confession…
Most of you will scoff, but I am actually pretty shy (depending on my beer intake) and really very introverted. I still have the PM in my inbox…”hey TCK, we are going to do this invitational contest called The Seasons of the Ukulele and….do you want too?”
I never replied to it.
Over the last nearly five years (season 14 was the one I finally said OK too and dove in) I have played some really lousy covers (641) and done a lot of things I should be embarrassed by (Mel’s bra…), but I have never stopped having fun, and I realized that it is a connection to people over the age of 14 that keeps me coming back here. We have not only put our ENTIRE timeline online…but we have cataloged it, critiqued it, celebrated it, on a level that would make Alan Lomax cry, and we have done it for 261 weeks…and that is important. Really important. We have all laughed together. We have all lost together. We have all played together, and we have all grown together, whether you have been here a week or years. We have one of the greatest folk music projects ever undertaken right here, and it is a treasure.
I realized 2 weeks ago that it had been ages since I sat down and watched what everyone else was doing. I mean, it gets away from you and then the excuse is made, “I just don’t have the time…there are so many videos.” It’s funny really, because the minute I started watching them all, I started playing more. I felt happier. I was more focused…and really able to let go of something else so that I had the time to watch what happens here because really, I am never going to be great…I am barely passable. I am never going to make money at this (though I will spend it), and heck…I don’t need to do it to drive the ladies wild, I have a pretty good one….but I do need to see this and watch what is going on.
I love that connection to other people. Some of my favorite people in the world are people I met here…and people I have played a song with many times.
Which brings us to what I am going to make you do this week. I am going to revive the WORST season of all time in terms of attendance (one of the best in terms of videos), because I think we ought to try it again. Only one person still regularly playing remembers the first season I hosted, and I had such high hopes for that week…I got 13 videos. We can do better.
OK. Re-do. Season 261. I don’t care what song you play, I don’t care what style you play it in. You have to play it with someone else.
It is Valentine’s Day week… so you could play with someone you love.
You could play with a jerk.
You could play with a homeless person.
You could play with a fellow seasonista (this need not be in person…collabs are supported)
You could play with a stranger.
You could play with GUGUG and make me die.
You could play with Krabbers and get him back here, where we need him.
You could go to Portland…any excuse for those folks.
I don’t care if you get a five year old to throw all your silverware down the stairs while you play your song….
I want three minutes of you and someone else connecting over music because that is what drives me and makes me smile.
And I want you to do it over and over again (right…no song limits. I know I will regret this because some of you are going to hammer me for fun. BRING IT). The only thing you can’t do is play the same dang song over and over again (kidding…do it).
I would like to see your Ukulele, but I don’t care what your co-conspirator (or conspirators) is playing. I can loan you an accordion if you need one.
And I want to see old faces so spread the word (I know I am asking a lot here)- I left Facebook because it made me a raving lunatic…but I am going to need Ginny, and the Ukelites, and We Tigers and Matty Dee and Silly Dave, Ukuleledavey, Lily, Peewee, Eric, Chelle…Bring me Joe Pegel back!!!!, and so many others… and all that happening as well, or I am likely to have a tantrum.
As this stopped being a contest to me a LONG time ago…I am not going to do prizes, but I will comment on all the videos and pick favorites. I will say this. If ever we cross paths, I will buy you a beer for every song you play this week. If you are one of my favorites, I will add a shot. If you don’t partake, call it lunch on me…and all you gotta do is play and then come to Sonoma County- it is beautiful here! Shoot…the Ukulites did. Heck, I will even play a song with you…me and the dogs. That is a huge incentive right there gang. That much I am good for I know, and I do hope we all cross paths some day.
Normal timeline applies – Midnight Hawaii time. Ends next Sunday at the same time…easy.
All right. Get your ukes, I’m in G….</TCK>

PLAYLIST
Oldies folks have brought for inspiration ;)

Last edited:
best intro post ever.
my poor mother is already quaking in her slippers....
thanks for being you Lefty.

This is maybe the best themepost we've ever had. But I've got the same problem as the first time this Season came around. I don't have anyone available to play with. My wife doesn't sing or play an instrument, and has no interest in being in a video. Truth be told, she's watched maybe two of the 500-plus videos I've made. The reason you had poor attendance the first time is that a lot of people are in that boat.

Jim- Send your video to any one of the folks that posted last week and ask them to collab...or go out to open mike and ask someone to join you. I am sure someone would love to mate! I know you can find someone to play with. Kinda of the point of the week...overcome that. Best song I ever had was with a homeless fellow at three AM. He taught me a song I turned around and played the next week here.
This is maybe the best themepost we've ever had. But I've got the same problem as the first time this Season came around. I don't have anyone available to play with. My wife doesn't sing or play an instrument, and has no interest in being in a video. Truth be told, she's watched maybe two of the 500-plus videos I've made. The reason you had poor attendance the first time is that a lot of people are in that boat.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I'm totally looking forward to this. I just hope I have time to do something. I've got a song more or less ready for the last season, but I don't think I'll have time to record that either. I was actually just thinking, there are 5 seasonistas living in my town. 5! In a town of around 250,000 people. That's incredible! Plus one of them lives with me, which should make things really easy.

Oh wow, I'm totally looking forward to this. I just hope I have time to do something. I've got a song more or less ready for the last season, but I don't think I'll have time to record that either. I was actually just thinking, there are 5 seasonistas living in my town. 5! In a town of around 250,000 people. That's incredible! Plus one of them lives with me, which should make things really easy.

Oh yeah...needs to happen! 5 in the same town? We only have two...they both live here ;)

You could play the song and have the wife there playing the rolling pin and gnashing her teeth like mine does.

My boyfriend has agreed to appear in my video as long as his face isn't on camera.

Had a listen to those (now 12) videos from that season TCK.
What was lacking in numbers was made up for in QUALITY!
Hope to see some of those who used to be regulars turn up this week too!

They are some incredible videos for sure...I can't recall which one is missing. SIgh

I hope you enjoy a disembodied hand moving into the frame to bang a pan every few seconds...

Oh yeah...needs to happen! 5 in the same town? We only have two...they both live here ;)

Yep. Me, Tiffany, Jon, Joo, and Caspet. There may be others that I don't know about.

I do know who is missing- UkuleleDavey...He best not be this week! You hear Me Davey?

Last edited:
Top Bottom