Native American flute anyone?

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Don't know why the flute portal isn't accepting members right now. I am a moderator over there and I know nothing.

Really nice flute. Did David show you his fat flutes? I played a low A (I think) but it was a fat flute and my small hands and short arm length had no trouble with it. Really nice, deep sound. He's also a really nice guy.

I'm mainly focusing on the shakuhachi right now. I love that thing! Can't do much with it yet but I still love it.

Oooh this sounds promising! Very cool. I had a R. Carlos Nakai CD a long time ago that was amazing.

Oooh this sounds promising! Very cool. I had a R. Carlos Nakai CD a long time ago that was amazing.

Being in AZ, you probably have some opportunities to find one local. You can also find really good ones online. I can tell you some good makers if you are interested. It is so easy to play and very relaxing.

Don't know why the flute portal isn't accepting members right now. I am a moderator over there and I know nothing.

Really nice flute. Did David show you his fat flutes? I played a low A (I think) but it was a fat flute and my small hands and short arm length had no trouble with it. Really nice, deep sound. He's also a really nice guy.
The Flute Portal doesn't have a real admin at the moment. The registration page fails as the "prove you aren't a robot" part just doesn't work. I emailed the admin email and got no response, so I found an email for the original founder Geoffrey Ellis, and he explained the situation that the site is in transition right now trying to upgrade the software, find a new admin, etc. The site could even go away which would be a shame.

Anyway, the biggest flute I tried was a low C, which was a bit of a reach, not undoable but not really comfortable either. The D was better in that regard.

I agree David was great to work with over email and in person. I would not hesitate to send anyone his way.

I haven't listened to all that much of him but I do understand he is "The Man" of NAF. From what I've heard so far, I prefer his work with the Quartet over the solo meditation stuff, but I'm probably in the minority there. I also think his tab system is kinda whack :p - but I'll be taking that up separately on my blog in the near future.

I liked the native Indian flute and always wanted to learn to play but uke is taking up a lot of my time

It's one of those instruments I've always loved but never taken up. A couple of old friends of mine used to record sort of new agey/NA music under the name Coyote Oldman and they also made beautiful flutes.

Many years back one of them gifted me with a simply gorgeous flute that IIRC was made of cedar.

I would occasionally play on it, but my brother in law admired it so much I passed it on to him and he makes very beautiful music with it, so it all worked out the way it was supposed to.

I ran across that name Coyote Oldman and "MGA" repeatedly in my research. Read lots of good things about his flutes. Apparently he's still on a kind of medical hiatus from flute making.

I made NAF in my shop for a few years. I took some time off from them and have been thinking about making up few.

My custom flutes are a low D# Spirit of the Woods by Ed Hrebec in Oregon and a Jack Thomas G#from North Carolina.

I don't play them much either. I always plan to but end up picking up a uke. My brother uses them in his recording all the time.

It's going to add a whole dimension to your music Jim. I'm looking forward to them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom