should I buy a Kanilea?

valde002

Reaction score
I am on the hunt to own one of the each Hawaiian K's.

So far I've got 2 Kamakas and one Kolahoa. They are great, but will change the strings to a low G on one of my Kamakas, and maybe on a Kanilea if I end up getting one.

There is a huge difference between the Kamaka (original Kamaka strings) and Koaloha (Worth Clear high G), and I love both kinds for their own differing personalities/feel.

For reference, am looking to get a K1, because the cost of anything higher to me is unjustifiable at my playing level. I do know that Kanilea has a thicker neck, which may not feel well to me, unless the strings are really soft, especially for barring purposes.

Q: Does anyone have a Kanilea and also Kamaka or Koaloha, and can tell me the difference, or how they compare? Supposedly the Kanileas are cited as the 'thing to own'. I don't want to own just to have, but will cough up the ca$h (will have to work extra for it) if it will give me a different playing experience.

What you're asking is VERY subjective, and each owner, each brand, and each instrument are all unique. However, I own all three brands, (not bragging, just a single guy with a job and UAS), and I'm pretty sure if you enjoy your Kamaka and KoAloha ukes, you will definitely enjoy owning at least one Kanile'a. To me, of the three brands, Kamakas are more bright and responsive, KoAlohas are more "Hawaiian-sounding", and Kanilea ukes are warmer and more full-sounding. Kanile'a ukes are also gorgeous to look at, and their build quality is second to none. I haven't noticed that Kanile'a necks are very thick, and they're certainly not as thick as say, Pono Tenors. If you can afford it, you should get a Kanile'a Concert AND a Kanile'a Tenor, just to be sure.

Disclaimer: Please buy ukes responsibly. UAS can ruin one's credit rating! :)

It's subjective for sure. I had one of each at one point - a Kamaka and a Koaloha that I owned, and a Kanile'a on indefinite loan with the option to buy. I passed on the Kanile'a and returned it to its owner, mainly because of the wider neck that you mentioned, and sold the Koaloha - now my ukes are all Kamaka. So I guess I know what I like! :) That being said - the only way to find out what *you* like is to take one for a test drive. Personally I don't get the hype, but your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
I don't know. Do you like it?

We really only NEED one uke, but Kanilea are seriously nice ukes and you should buy one if you are in the market for something new.

The neck is slightly wider and I have no problem switching brands whatsoever from one song to the next. The neck is actually more shallow than most other brands I've played too, still no issue. Every uke has it's own sound and the few that I have handled are all very nice.

Sounds wonderful, playability is as comfortable as any, construction and finish is pretty much perfect on mine.

Should you get one? If you're spending the money you may as well, it's a good buy.

Heck yeah! If you can afford it.
Unless you don't like koa ukes, and it sounds like you do.

I have owned a couple of Kanileas, as well as a few KoAlohas, and one Kamaka - with a tenor in each brand, so I think I can compare them as apples to apples (though each is different). Of the three K brands, and this is completely subjective, my favorite is the KoAloha (and indeed, it is the only of the three I still own).

That being said, the fit and finish, and grade of koa on Kanilea is (in my opinion) the best of the three. That is where I think they really shine. They also are very committed to environmentally responsible practices if that is a factor for you. I do think they can be a bit hit or miss on sound though (more so than KoAloha or Kamaka) so I would not buy a Kanilea without hearing it first. I have found some to be a bit muted, while others have a lovely tone. And again, their looks are beautiful. If your goal is to have one of each (a worthy goal indeed), I am sure you will love the Kanilea - just get a sound sample or play it in person first.

As mentioned the feel is subjective. I have a K1 concert. The fretboard is 1.5" but the neck is thin, so it really isn't an issue for me, but this is subjective obviously. I actually don't mind the extra room for fingerpicking.

I think that it sounds different from the others at least to me and especially fingerpicked. The trebles are really clear up the neck and it sustains well for a small body.

The tone is sweet and clear with good separation, but i much prefer reentrant on this uke.

Last edited:
Why not, if you can afford it? To me, it's interesting to own one of each, and being able to compare them. My own perception is that Kanilea offers the "best" value out of the three: they usually have the nicest Koa, carefully chosen bookmatch (front and back), smooth finish, innovative build and design features, and last but not least: a competitive price (however, I'd critisize the cheap plastic tuner buttons and bridge pins). As others have said, the neck is not THICKER, but WIDER than on most other ukes: 38 mm (1.5") instead of 35 mm (1 3/8"). To me, it feels comfortable. But only you can know if you like it, and you won't know before you try it out.

As others have said, the neck is not THICKER, but WIDER than on most other ukes: 38 mm (1.5") instead of 35 mm (1 3/8"). To me, it feels comfortable.

You are absolutely correct, and I've edited my response to reflect that. FWIW, the same goes for LoPrinzi ukes - wonderful instruments and if it wasn't for the wider fretboard, I wouldn't hesitate to add one to my collection. In fact - I'd probably choose a LoPrinzi over a Koaloha or Kanile'a. But I digress :)

FWIW, the same goes for LoPrinzi ukes - wonderful instruments and if it wasn't for the wider fretboard, I wouldn't hesitate to add one to my collection. In fact - I'd probably choose a LoPrinzi over a Koaloha or Kanile'a. But I digress :)

Nice!!! High five!!!

I haven't seen any of the triumvirate Ks, but I can surely say my loprinzi has not given me the itch to look into anything more quality.

However I do like Joe Sousa of kanile'a and for that reason alone, I would buy a K if I had to bc of his great passion

Last edited:
I thought the wider nut was a special option with LoPrinzis—something you generally have to special-order to get. Otherwise, I'd have bought one "off the rack" long ago. I now only want ukes with wider nuts.

Like Kanile'as, KoAlohas also have wider nuts, at least on the tenors. (The laminate KoAlanas have standard-width nuts, the Opio tenors have 1-7/16" nuts, right in the middle.)

I'm not sure about the off/on-the-rack options for LoPrinzi since I've never seen one off the rack - only second-hand, and the two I've considered had the wider nut.

As for Koaloha - can't speak to the tenor or to newer models, but some years back when I had all three K's in my possession I did measurements of them all. I can't recall the exact numbers but I do recall that while the nut widths of the Kamaka and Koaloha were the same, the actual circumference of the Koaloha neck was the smallest of the three, and the Kanile'a the largest. I realize we're only talking maybe .25" at most here, but when one's pinky can barely reach the 4th string, these things matter!

Get one. If you have the money to do so, then do it. No matter what you buy, you know this will not be the last ukulele that you buy. There is no holy grail. If you are a person on this board, you love ukuleles and the infinite combinations of how they look and sound. Some days, I like this one more than that one. Other times, that one is closer to me than another, and I am too lazy to get up. So, to sum up, get one. Why not?

Yeah get it. I've yet to see someone not get something they have had their mind on pondering over and asking about it on the forum. It just ain't exist!
Get it

It's subjective for sure. I had one of each at one point - a Kamaka and a Koaloha that I owned, and a Kanile'a on indefinite loan with the option to buy. I passed on the Kanile'a and returned it to its owner, mainly because of the wider neck that you mentioned, and sold the Koaloha - now my ukes are all Kamaka. So I guess I know what I like! :) That being said - the only way to find out what *you* like is to take one for a test drive. Personally I don't get the hype, but your mileage may vary.

did you change your Kamaka strings. The more I play, they seem thick compared to the Worth Clears and I have to get used to them again

Did you buy a kanile'a yet? Timing may be right for you as Corey is selling his but I don't know if you like tenor

Did you buy a kanile'a yet? Timing may be right for you as Corey is selling his but I don't know if you like tenor

thanks for the lead. Am currently talking to someone from this thread about one. That sounds like a mighty big uke, the 19". I'd buy it in a hearbeat, but it's too much wood for me to handle!

Last edited:
I see that they come with Aquila Corde strings. What other strings work best with this? not a fan of Aquilas.

did you change your Kamaka strings. The more I play, they seem thick compared to the Worth Clears and I have to get used to them again

Oh immediately! I can't stand the stock Kamaka strings, they seem thick and floppy and dull to me. My strings of choice are Martin fluorocarbons; sometimes I opt for Fremont Blackline Hards instead, but I always find myself coming back to the Martins.

Top Bottom