should I buy a Kanilea?

I've had a KoAloha for years. I may never sell it. I bought a Kanile'a and the sound seemed dead, plus the intonation was unacceptable. I returned it for another, the intonation was better but it was just as dead, so I tried several string sets to see if I could get some sound out of it. Well, when the third one arrived and was just as dead, I gave up.U used to switch back and forth with mine. It worked very well.

Last edited:
Oasis Brights sound good on all my Koa ukes, and Worth Clears do too! YMMV :cool:

I just bought some Oasis brights and put a set on my Kala mahagony; feels much better than the stock Aquilas and sounds fantastic!

Also like the worth clears and have it on my Koaloha, which is my daily reach-for now.

valde002...I sent you a message. I may have what you are looking for... ;)

I own a Kamaka and a Kanilea tenor. The Kanilea is a a lighter instrument weight wise The neck is shaped a bit different as well. It also has a radius fret board.
Sound wise the Kamaka for me has a brighter sound with more sustain. I use Freemonts Black Line with high g on both.
Each has its own special qualities. For finger picking I prefer the Kamaka. If I'm just strumming I normally go to the Kanilea.

Last edited:
I own a Kamaka and a Kanilea tenor. The Kanilea is a a lighter instrument weight wise The neck is shaped a bit different as well. It also has a radius fret board.
Sound wise the Kamaka for me has a brighter sound with more sustain. I use Freemonts Black Line with high g on both.
Each has its own special qualities. For finger picking I prefer the Kamaka. If I'm just strumming I normally go to the Kanilea.

Hey peanuts do your new strings fit the Kamaka, esp the A? I tried to change mine out and the smaller string does not stay in the trough...

Top Bottom