The new aquila Carbonblack strings

Had the Carbon Blacks on a tenor for 2 weeks. Opened the case today to find the C-string broke near the tuner. :( Odd as it is the thickest string with the lowest tension. :confused:

Unfortunately this has happened to me and another forum member exactly the same near the tuner i thought it was my fault not fitting it correctly but it's too much of a coincidence now , i've still got the E & A working perfectly strange .

I tried these strings last week, and same problem, 3rd string broken near the tuner.

These breakage reports are disappointing to hear, especially since I've got a set (concert) arriving tomorrow. Wondering if these have all been the C string in the tenor set?

Had the Carbon Blacks on a tenor for 2 weeks. Opened the case today to find the C-string broke near the tuner. :( Odd as it is the thickest string with the lowest tension. :confused:

Unfortunately this has happened to me and another forum member exactly the same near the tuner i thought it was my fault not fitting it correctly but it's too much of a coincidence now , i've still got the E & A working perfectly strange .

I tried these strings last week, and same problem, 3rd string broken near the tuner.

I hope these strings don't have the same problem the Reds have had. I liked those strings a lot but gave up on them after several breaks. I wonder if they are the same material...some have mentioned they had the same texture to them.

I haven't tried these yet, but will hold off for a while to see how it goes.

Yes, tenor set for me. The C string broke after a couple of days.

mmm. heck, thanks for these reports
for the guys that has problem with C string: please send me a PM for a fast replace with two spare strings of C note.
I will do a few canges to fix the problem.
right now I received back 10 complaints about the C string on a few thousand sets sold out.
yes the statistic is low but there are even those that do not complaint.
I will do the changes tomorrow
In the meatime please remember that I am there to do my service.
People spend money for a good product, so they deserve my attention.
Take care
Mimmo

Last edited:
I have had no problems with a breakage yet, but I don't with the Reds either anymore. When I first tune them up, until they are well settled, I do lift them out of the nut sots so they can't get nicked or scraped. Maybe that's why they are breaking by the tuner (i.e. the damaged bit ends up - when the strings are stretched - at the tuner?)

You might be right and in future if i buy some more i'll use that technique of lifting them out of the nut slot , i too didn't have any problems with the red's , strange! , the fact that it's seems to be only the C string on the members that have commented here does seem odd.
But hats of to Aquila and Mimmo for responding so quickly to our feedback .

Yup, that would be me. I contacted frigiliana because it seemed odd that we both had C strings break up near the tuner. I didn't do anything differently than I always do. In any case thanks to Mimmo for responding. I don't need a replacement C string as I paired the E and A with two wound Tomastek strings for now. I also have another set of Carbonblacks that I will install on another uke. I'll echo what some others have already said; the strings settled in very quickly and have remained in tune. I like the sound.

mmm. heck, thanks for these reports
for the guys that has problem with C string: please send me a PM for a fast replace with two spare strings of C note.
I will do a few canges to fix the problem.
right now I received back 10 complaints about the C string on a few thousand sets sold out.
yes the statistic is low but there are even those that do not complaint.
I will do the changes tomorrow
In the meatime please remember that I am there to do my service.
People spend money for a good product, so they deserve my attention.
Take care
Mimmo

Thanks Mimmo. Will send a PM.

You might be right and in future if i buy some more i'll use that technique of lifting them out of the nut slot , i too didn't have any problems with the red's , strange! , the fact that it's seems to be only the C string on the members that have commented here does seem odd.
But hats of to Aquila and Mimmo for responding so quickly to our feedback .

Just took a pic of the break. The break location was very near the spindle, it was always above the nut. There was no scratching from slot on nut. From the pic one can see the spindle insert and scale (inches).

attachment.php

2017-04-04 14.33.49.jpg

Hi mimmo,

When can we expect the Carbonblack for Cordoba Mini to hit retailers? I'm in need of new strings soon. I can wait a month or two to try the Carbonblack but if it will take longer than that, I'll go with the original Aquila for Cordoba for now.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I am very busy to do other things in these times. that Mini carbonblack were just a test. By the way.l how they work? Since now I have received no feedbacks from a few guys that are tested them.
----
how to install the strings: my comment on tyhat video is positive; this is one of the right way to install these strings. I have another way; In will do a fast video soon, man.
ciao
Mimmo

Unfortunately I am very busy to do other things in these times. that Mini carbonblack were just a test. By the way.l how they work? Since now I have received no feedbacks from a few guys that are tested them.
----
how to install the strings: my comment on tyhat video is positive; this is one of the right way to install these strings. I have another way; In will do a fast video soon, man.
ciao
Mimmo

Mimmo,

I provided feedback on the mini set via a PM. The A tuning set broke during installation. The a string broke in the middle, not near the nut.

The E tuning set had terrible intonation. The g was sharpe one fret at the octave, and the b was slightly sharpe. The tone was good and I think they are better than the original e set, but the intonation issues were too much. I play up the neck a lot. I left them on for a few days to see if they would settle, but the intonation didn't change.

I have a picture of the break but don't know how to upload.

I ordered a new set of the original nylgut e set and put them back on. The intonation on these is very good.

Adam

After 20 days, no problem with C strings!!! All Ok and fantastic sound!!!!

Thanks Adam
well, this mean that I will do other tests working in a better waym and, expecially slow.
Ok, at present i lost the battle of the carbonblack on a Mini. ah ah
thanks dude
Mimmo

Ps: I have sent out some replaces for the C strings. I am anxiopus to hear by these guys. have you all a nice weekend.

I just got two sets (concert and tenor) and plan on putting them on my Fluke and Flea.

I bought them from Elderly Instruments, btw.

Scooter

Top Bottom