The new aquila Carbonblack strings

Hi photoshooter that's a coincidence i too fitted them to my Godin Multiuke i can't see that being the problem , i have left the E & A strings on and paired them with a Fremont Soloist which i had left on as i couldn't buy a low G Carbon set from Aquila at the time and i've fitted a Aquilla red C string proper mixed bag sound OK though .

I've try the strings in a koa tenor ukulele. The sound is bright, more 'traditional' than the aquila nylgut, different and less 'complex'...i like it!

I just put the carbonblacks on my Kala bocote Tenor uke yesterday and I really like them! First off, they stabilized really quickly. The original Aquila nylguts that came on the uke were horribly out of tune every day for a couple of weeks. These carbonblacks are only slightly out of tune after only a day of being on the uke. I like the tone and projection of them, also. Stronger and brighter than the nylguts. Now there are only 2 questions in my mind: 1) "how long will they last before they start to sound dead and will need replacing?" and 2) "How long will they retain their tone and brilliance in the package before being installed?" Of course, nobody really knows the answer to either of those questions yet. Cabonblacks are definitely an improvement over the nylguts in my opinion!

I just put the carbonblacks on my Kala bocote Tenor uke yesterday and I really like them! First off, they stabilized really quickly. The original Aquila nylguts that came on the uke were horribly out of tune every day for a couple of weeks. These carbonblacks are only slightly out of tune after only a day of being on the uke. I like the tone and projection of them, also. Stronger and brighter than the nylguts. Now there are only 2 questions in my mind: 1) "how long will they last before they start to sound dead and will need replacing?" and 2) "How long will they retain their tone and brilliance in the package before being installed?" Of course, nobody really knows the answer to either of those questions yet. Cabonblacks are definitely an improvement over the nylguts in my opinion!

I agree, they stabilized really quickly.

Just put a set of Carbon Blacks on my Mya-moe tenor. Lots of stretching going on. The more they stretch and settle in, the more I like them. Going to let them settle in before I record.

Initial impressions after an hour. Nice chime/bell tones (more so than Worth CTs that were on this uke) but also good warmth, rounded tone, and plenty of volume. Good, but somewhat less sustain than the CTs. I like that. Sustain and tone improving with stretching and settling. The strings feel good to me, not quite as smooth as CTs but similar in thickness. I'm really liking these so far.

Here's sound samples of a myrtle Mya-moe tenor for a comparison. Recorded with a Blue Yeti using Audacity.
1) Aquila Carbon Black strings reentrant:https://app.box.com/s/zo9ysxwu7eh2haqfv593cihjijswufn5
2) Worth CTs and a wound low g:https://app.box.com/s/rktmiu534m4y6m10t7ddxjvwdveq6ld3

After playing & listening to my own recording, my thought is the Aquila Carbon Black strings sound great playing finger-style, less so when strummed. Also, a good choice if using amplification. Oasis Brights are still my favorites. But for a chime/bell like tone Aquila Carbon Black deliver.

Thanks for your tests, Doc.
indeed I have found that the best performances are after a couple of days, i. e. when the stretching of the string stop. I do not know why this happen.
So I wonder which can be your opinion after this time. Maybe these Carbonblacks became too clear, metallic...
take care
Mimmo

Last edited:
Thanks for your tests, Doc.
indeed I have found that the best performances are after a couple of days, i. e. when the stretching of the string stop. I do not know weehy this happen.
So I wonder which can be your opinion after this time. Maybe these Carbonblacks became too clear, metallic...
take care
Mimmo

Mimmo, I took your advice and let the last stretching finish and stop. You are right, the sound is even better.

The nice brightness is still there but with a bit more rounded tone (more mellow, less harsh/metallic than earlier) and increased sustain. Strumming now sounds as good as playing finger style. Clarity on these strings is excellent. Volume is also excellent. Going to keep these Carbon Blacks strings this uke. These are definitely a great bright, clear re-entrant sound. Fluorocarbons (Oasis, Worth) seem to have just slightly more sustain and warmth, but don't have quite the clarity/brightness of these.

Updated sound sample: https://app.box.com/s/od47q6k9a6qxbgqz6w2ewnu1v1w6e9ai

Glad I ordered 3 sets! :)

Last edited:
I have just received a Concert set - I was surprised to see they are distinctly grey, not black. I thought for a minute I had received a pack of the Lava strings by mistake. Comparing the colour with a Lava set I have and they are very similar, but the feel is totally different. They feel very similar to the red series strings. They have gone straight onto my Mahogany Howlett - quick initiative impressions are that they settle into tune very quickly (but I note from Doc_J above that the sound may change after they have been played in a while); they are certainly bright - similar to the reds, but maybe a touch more mellow. A cross between the red's and the lava's...... Once played in I may do a quick sound sample.

Just wanted to echo everyone else's comments about these strings- I really like them and so far they're my new favorite. To me, on my uke, fluorocarbon had that bell tone but lacked "warmth" so I had actually gone back to D'Addarios...these Carbonblacks have the best of both to me...but again that's just my opinion- thanks Mimmo and Aquila!

Glad you mentioned that, thanks. I really prefer very smooth strings.

The reds get very smooth after a few days of playing them. The rough texture is only temporary. (Just chipping this in if you like the tone but didn't like their initial texture.)

I ordered a baritone set and some tenors a few days ago. It will be a few weeks until I can install them and give a review, leaving for vacation.

Oh cool :cool: I'm not in any particulary hurry. I look forward to hearing what you think of them :)

Oh cool :cool: I'm not in any particulary hurry. I look forward to hearing what you think of them :)

Also looking forward to your thought, Dave. I just put the Martins on mine and quite like them, but I am always searching for the next better set of strings.

Tried them on my Martin C1K concert. I had a slight buzz on the C string on the low frets with living water strings which disappeared :) I like them on this uke and the looks goes well with koa.
IMG_0244.jpg

Top Bottom