Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The new aquila Carbonblack strings

Had the Carbon Blacks on a tenor for 2 weeks. Opened the case today to find the C-string broke near the tuner. Odd as it is the thickest string with the lowest tension.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Unfortunately this has happened to me and another forum member exactly the same near the tuner i thought it was my fault not fitting it correctly but it's too much of a coincidence now , i've still got the E & A working perfectly strange .

I tried these strings last week, and same problem, 3rd string broken near the tuner.

These breakage reports are disappointing to hear, especially since I've got a set (concert) arriving tomorrow. Wondering if these have all been the C string in the tenor set?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Had the Carbon Blacks on a tenor for 2 weeks. Opened the case today to find the C-string broke near the tuner. Odd as it is the thickest string with the lowest tension.
    Quote Originally Posted by frigiliana View Post
    Unfortunately this has happened to me and another forum member exactly the same near the tuner i thought it was my fault not fitting it correctly but it's too much of a coincidence now , i've still got the E & A working perfectly strange .
    Quote Originally Posted by Tof View Post
    I tried these strings last week, and same problem, 3rd string broken near the tuner.
    I hope these strings don't have the same problem the Reds have had. I liked those strings a lot but gave up on them after several breaks. I wonder if they are the same material...some have mentioned they had the same texture to them.

I haven't tried these yet, but will hold off for a while to see how it goes.
    Tenor Ukes
    KoAloha KTM-00
    Pono MTD-(All Mahogany)
    Big Island BI-MO-TR-(All Spalted Mango)
    Compass Rose Style B Tenor-(All Claro Walnut)
    Boat Paddle ML style Tenor-(Red Spruce/Cocobolo)

Baritone Uke
    Pono MHBSSC-(Spruce/Mahogany)

Tenor Guitar
    Ibanez AVT1-N-(Spruce/Mahogany)

Yes, tenor set for me. The C string broke after a couple of days.

Tenor set for me and C string , won't be buying anymore .

Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)

mmm. heck, thanks for these reports
    for the guys that has problem with C string: please send me a PM for a fast replace with two spare strings of C note.
    I will do a few canges to fix the problem.
    right now I received back 10 complaints about the C string on a few thousand sets sold out.
    yes the statistic is low but there are even those that do not complaint.
    I will do the changes tomorrow
    In the meatime please remember that I am there to do my service.
    People spend money for a good product, so they deserve my attention.
    Take care
    Mimmo
    Last edited by mimmo; 04-03-2017 at 08:25 PM.

I have had no problems with a breakage yet, but I don't with the Reds either anymore. When I first tune them up, until they are well settled, I do lift them out of the nut sots so they can't get nicked or scraped. Maybe that's why they are breaking by the tuner (i.e. the damaged bit ends up - when the strings are stretched - at the tuner?)
    Ziegenspeck Spruce and Yew Tenor, Howlett Mahogany Concert, Howlett Spruce and Walnut Tenor (Concert body), Alder Concert, Acacia Soprano, Mahogany Soprano, Acacia Sopranino.

You might be right and in future if i buy some more i'll use that technique of lifting them out of the nut slot , i too didn't have any problems with the red's , strange! , the fact that it's seems to be only the C string on the members that have commented here does seem odd.
    But hats of to Aquila and Mimmo for responding so quickly to our feedback .

Thread Information