Andy's Ukuleles - Nano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thanks, Baz! What an amazingly crafted little instrument. I saw Ben play it last year when the UOOGB came to Muncie, Indiana. He joked about it being a refrigerator magnet, LOL!

I think my little O'Nino might be the smallest I'd want to go, but as you say, you reap the rewards of the work you are wiling to put into learning how to do something right. Might be fun to carry around in a purse and play under the table at restaurants, ha ha!

Yeah- I actually expect some backlash from people who consider it unplayable, and it's certainly difficult. But Ben proves that it CAN be done - just needs some effort.

Sadly in certain circles of the ukulele community it just seems to be a dash for 'easy' and 'little effort'. It's certainly not for those people.

That's great! I bet it is the smallest playable uke built. It sure would be easy to sneak into work....

Would fit in the back pocket of a pair of Jeans!!

Which commercially available (within the EU) strings would work on the piccolo and nano respectively?

Klaus

Piccolos tend to use regular soprano strings Klaus. On the nano in fact, Andy uses soprano string gauges too.

Thanks!

I hope to get both of Andy’s tinies and hope the Martin soprano fluorocarbons will work for them like with the O’Nino.

I am not really a jazz musician, but I have been taught big band arranging. One purpose of the hard to play nano would be to tune it to the 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th steps of a given key. These notes would work as colouring of tonic as well as dominant chords.

Klaus

Yeah, I think they will - the Martins are quite a light string.

Looks like you've got lots of fun when playing it, and it makes you look like a giant!

I wonder how the harmonics would sound like in those strings... but since it sounds like the harmonics already...

Awesome uke, great review!

Yeah, each to their own - One of the nice things about there being so many ukulele variants!

Thanks again for doing the review Barry,i was really pleased with my score and i've had a load of interest since you posted it.

Was a pleasure - and I will FINALLY get it posted back to you this week!!

Without any doubt the smallest ukulele I ever reviewed.

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2017/02/andys-ukuleles-nano-review.html

bazmaz, I like the review, and I am in contact with Andy sbout getting a Nano. Not that easy after this review, which good for Andy.

But I have to pick your and/or Andy’s brains. I get the idea about the Berkley® Trilene® Big Game™ strings in breaking strengths of 30, 40, 50, and 60 pounds.

Only I wonder whether the 1st string won’t be too light compared to the 4th. The interval between these strings is a major second, a pitch difference of 9/8 in Pythagorean thinking, whereas the difference in breaking strength is 4/3.

How would similar breaking strengths of 40 pounds for both strings work?

I am not shying away from buying all 4 strengths, so I may find out by my own experiments.

That is: My Google skills are not fantastic, so the only European outlet I have found so far is the UK Amazon site, and they don’t have the 40 pound version in a reasonably small roll like with the other strengths.

Are there UK outlets that you know of?

Imports from the US are cumbersome in red tape that you even have to pay the Danish Post to do at a cost equaling 2 rolls. Yet importing from the US has one appealing aspect, as it is possible to buy the 4 rolls needed in 4 different colours. Not for the sake of showmanship, but stringing my small ukes would be so much easier, if I could tell the position to put a string alone by its colour.

Klaus in DK

Sorry Klaus - you'll need to ask Andy - This is the only small ukulele of this size i've reviewed, so string gauges for these is not my forte. What I DO know is Andy spent a lot of time testing different mixes of strengths to settle on these - he must have had a reason for that.

As for buying it - i'm fairly certain he bought reels from Amazon. Personally I don't use it, I use Seaguar and have to import that from the USA!

More brainpicking:

Is there a reason for that choice?

I mean Andy might like a certain amount of high overtones in the attack, whereas you maybe prefer a warmer sound.

As you know I prefer Martin fluorocarbon strings over Acquila Nylgut. The latter certainly have an exact attack, only their percussive effect in my ears overshadow the tonal element of the chord. The Martin strings appear more alive to me because of their singing sound, and they still speak with great immediacy. Only with sopraninos tuned to F# or G they are at their upwards limit.

Sidetracking a bit. I have a Chinese baritone, which is OK with its solid spruce top, but not a great instrument with its plastic roundback. I could buy a good baritone, but those with a nice sound often displease my ears by not being really alive. The sound kind of grows before it really projects. Like the strings start slack and then get more tense. That is something I want to avoid.

Klaus

Only Andy could tell you that Klaus - I know when he was developing the Nano I sent him some of my Seaguar to test - he tried it but went with those gauges of Trilene - you'd have to ask him why.

I agree, so i have made Andy aware of this thread being continued.

I live in a harbour town with professional as well as leisure fishing. Would be nice, if I could enter a store and pick what I needed from the shelves. But the web isn’t kind on local specialty stores.

Klaus

Top Bottom