How do you break the news to your spouse that you've bought another uke?

Fortunately my husband is very tolerant. A couple of months after I bought my first uke, a soprano, I had the chance of getting a s/h concert fairly locally. I hadn't told my husband and was intending to introduce it gradually, but on my way home I met him by chance at some traffic lights, both of us on our bicycles, me with the new uke on my back - oops!

A few months later I spotted the banjolele for sale. I asked him if he minded....he gave me a big hug and said I could have as many ukeleles as I liked. :)

(He may come to regret that.... :rotfl:)

Yes, that's the one! I was "just looking" and was totally smitten with the Ohta-San, but hesitated. When I read the dreaded "sale pending" I was heartbroken. I realized how much I had really wanted it, and vowed to never let one slip away again. On a lark, I confessed my desire in a PM, and as luck would have it, the original deal didn't finalize. So it was meant to be, right?

Yes, AmyDee, that uke was absolutely meant to be yours!

"Oh? This old uke? I've had it forever..." :rotfl:

Are you going to play it?
Then, what's the problem?
Pictures, please!

So how do I casually let him know that another one is on the way...

Knitting a little something for the "new arrival" has always been a classic way to let hubby know that another is on the way... Get those knitting needles out... :)
7ff984021b70e111852c16eb66d93eac.jpg

"Hey Honey, I'm going to Lowe's."
"Why?"
"'cause I need more hooks to hang my ukes on."
"No, you don't, they're all on hooks."
"No, no, I need another hook."
"*sigh* You bought another one, didn't you."

Yes, that's the one! I was "just looking" and was totally smitten with the Ohta-San, but hesitated. When I read the dreaded "sale pending" I was heartbroken. I realized how much I had really wanted it, and vowed to never let one slip away again. On a lark, I confessed my desire in a PM, and as luck would have it, the original deal didn't finalize. So it was meant to be, right?

Right on...:shaka:

I had been wanting an Ohana CK-35-8 since I saw Mim demo one last year at the NAMM. Finally they are out and I picked one out, then she sold it before I could contact her. So, I found a deal on a Kala Rumbler, so I won it on ebay...meant to be, right? ;-D

Best of luck with the new Ohta-San, and I hope your confession goes well.

Here are some thoughts...

You could mention that other hobbies one could have would litter the house with kitschy eyesore trinkets found at flea markets and garage sales that have no use other than to create clutter and as a magent for hairy dust feathers to grow...

Or that many folks are addicted to various illicit substances that usually destroy their health and wreck their lives and those of family and friends, while resulting in the untimely demise of a now-junky 'user'...

But a new ukulele, no matter how many you already have, will bring you immeasurable joy while you create MUSIC with it and bring joy to others when playing said MUSIC...:music:

and if that does not help, then remind him that at least you dont have ROOMS full of designer-knockoff handbags and fancy shoes, with more than one coordinated combo for each day of the year like Imelda Marcos was famous four, and that he is fortunate to have a wife with such 'sensible' priorities...LOL

Remember: "With every deed you are sowing a seed, though the harvest you may not see."

I doubt you will have a problem. My wife is pretty accepting of my purchases, although we do talk out the more expensive ones. She has even encouraged me to get a Moore Bettah one day. At the same time she also wants me to think about whether it is a measured purchase or just a foolish impulse.

With your Kamaka, you have a high quality instrument that is also a good investment. Buying it used in great condition allows you to enjoy it and if, for some reason, you decide to sell, you won't really lose much if any money. And if you love it, it is any even better buy. Congrats!

John

My wife and I have been married for a long long time. One thing important to remember is that often times one's significant others, and I use the plural to include my kids and everyone else significant to me, don't share my enthusiasm for everything that I do. Often time it isn't the buying, but the incessant blather about it that gets under the other's skin. The buying just brings it out. I've found over the years that running up to my wife and sticking something new in her face, be it a fishing rod, a camera, a new gun, or a ukulele, especially the new gun by the way, sometimes that just pushes her over the edge. I learned early on that I needed to enjoy my own interests and make an effort keep it casual with everyone else around me. Especially my wife, who has to be around me all the time. So that is why I say to just put it with the rest of you ukuleles and let it go at that. But as long as we are posting examples of how those conversations would go in our own household, mine would go something like this. Me: Look what I found, this is sooo cool, blah blah blah blah blah. She: Why don't you get on your ukulele forum and talk to all your little ukulele buddies about it, I'm sure they would find it all very interesting?

Last edited:
I hope that you'll do a review for us once you've received it. We won't tell your spouse. :)

At some point it's gotta stop. I think if that's the last one, then it will go down better. If you have to buy another one after this one, you may need to sell the one you don't touch much. Or consider ukuleles anonymous. Be careful of that ukulele forum site...it's gotta bunch of enablers!!

I had long wanted a cedar top Ohta-San, and since their Centennial celebration just happened to coincide with a "special" birthday ... I ordered one. I received it about 8 months ago. I have a collection of ukuleles that includes numerous K brands, vintage Martins and Lyon & Healy ukuleles; I stopped counting at 35. You might tell your husband this and that I play the Ohta-San almost exclusively these days. I say "almost" only because I play the Martin sopranos in high G. Kamaka and Ohta-San really hit the mark with this design, IMO. The Ohta-San especially with a cedar top (I've played examples of all varieties) is amazingly responsive. It's my wife's favorite. The cedar opens up really fast, too. So, 8 months in, it sounds better all the time. Congratulations! Enjoy your ukulele.

Hey! Wait a second, what exactly do you mean by "crazy uke hoarder?"

I had long wanted a cedar top Ohta-San, and since their Centennial celebration just happened to coincide with a "special" birthday ... I ordered one. I received it about 8 months ago. I have a collection of ukuleles that includes numerous K brands, vintage Martins and Lyon & Healy ukuleles; I stopped counting at 35. You might tell your husband this and that I play the Ohta-San almost exclusively these days. I say "almost" only because I play the Martin sopranos in high G. Kamaka and Ohta-San really hit the mark with this design, IMO. The Ohta-San especially with a cedar top (I've played examples of all varieties) is amazingly responsive. It's my wife's favorite. The cedar opens up really fast, too. So, 8 months in, it sounds better all the time. Congratulations! Enjoy your ukulele.

that's like at least 35 grand of ukes!

Best way to break it to them is by just sitting there on your couch playing it smiling while he or she walks in from the door.

Top Bottom