How do you break the news to your spouse that you've bought another uke?

AmyDee

Reaction score
My husband just bought me a fabulous Pete Howlette Boat Paddle for Christmas, which I dearly love. But I still yearned for a cedar topped "K" brand. When I saw the object of my desire pop up on the UU marketplace, I was lucky enough to snag it. I just got a bonus from my company, and my husband considers such things "mad money" so, fortunately, the cash outflow isn't the problem. He is generous and easy going, but I worry that I'm at the limit of his understanding of UAS. (6 instruments).

So how do I casually let him know that another one is on the way, while also reassuring him that I'm not turning into some crazy uke hoarder?

If you find a good way, please let me know.

I would tell you to just put it with your other ukuleles and don't say anything. Unless he is into ukuleles or is inspecting your pile and counting them every day, he probably won't notice.

Ukuleles aren't expensive, like £30 - £80 heck even a custom made one is £450, how much do you think this one was? Cheap, exactly. ;)

Seriously tho. My wife is ok with ukulele purchases. Tech on the other hand... just thought I'd help. Not to say i havent used that line when a K brand arrived. Sometimes explaining price is not easy for a little guitar. ;)

Lie through your teeth, when it arrives tell him its a case to protect the fantastic instrument he bought you.
Or tell him its for him.
Or buy him a springer spaniel, that'll keep him walking 8 - 10 miles a day, and out of your hair while you have free access to the credit cards and world wide ukulele sites.

Mind you: This may be why I remain single.

Get your count up over 20 and your husband wont be able to keep track......wives on the other hand are good at counting. Ask me how I know.

Seriously though explain to him how rare a find this Ohta San is (great score, Lenny's the bomb) and how much money you saved over a new one. Congratulations by the way, if I wasn't strictly a tenor guy I've of bought that. Enjoy it. Play a song your husband likes before breaking the news, he'll understand after hearing the beautiful tone

Last edited:
Lie through your teeth, when it arrives tell him its a case to protect the fantastic instrument he bought you.
Or tell him its for him.
Or buy him a springer spaniel, that'll keep him walking 8 - 10 miles a day, and out of your hair while you have free access to the credit cards and world wide ukulele sites.

Mind you: This may be why I remain single.

Lying will just get you in trouble. Why even go to the effort of concocting a story? Saying nothing is a better way to go.

Hmmm... Let's see...

This is what I do:

Me: Honey, I've been trying to get a Ken Timms Soprano Uke for months, but I keep getting outbid.
Her: Keep trying. I know how much you want it.
Me: Yeah, but I've only allocated $400, and at the last minute they go over that.
Her: Did you try the secondary market, like eBay?
Me: The only Timms ukes I've seen on eBay are those Ken is selling. No third party every sells them.
Her: Keep looking - you might find one.
A week later:
Me: I just found a Timms Uke on ebay for $395 shipped! The guy bought it 3-4 years ago, and never played it! He wanted $425 + Shipping, but he took my offer!
Her: That's great. As long as you are going to play it. And keep looking for a nice Zebrawood concert - you can't sell the Republic Zebrawood laminate until you find the right one to replace it.
Me: Well, that isn't in the budget for a while.
Her: I can wait. You've only got 22 ukes. a couple more won't matter. By the way, are you going to the sheep and wool festival with me next month?
Me: Sure, but I don't need any more roving - I have more than I can spin already.
Her: Uh-huh.

So how do I tell my wife I'm getting/just got another uke? Very easily.

-Kurt​

Lying will just get you in trouble. Why even go to the effort of concocting a story? Saying nothing is a better way to go.

Sorry if anyone took this as serious advice, no intention to offend.

Me: Honey, I bought another uke.

She: Have you got rocks in your head!

Me: Don't be a silly goose, babe.

She: I know you are but what am I?

Me: Babe, please understand...it's an addiction.

She: Then call the paramedics with a straight jacket, because you belong in an asylum!

Me: You're right. I'll cancel the order.

She: Oh, f*** it. What's one more.

When I bought my baritone several years ago I approached it this way...

While driving the car I simply said, "Daddy's done a bad, bad thing" as a way of starting the conversation. That way she couldn't kill me at 60mph without causing personal harm to herself. By the time we slowed down we had the conversation about having to move quickly before it sold to someone else and she was okay with it, if not exactly happy. Good luck.

Let me guess Kamaka Ohta-San!

Yes, that's the one! I was "just looking" and was totally smitten with the Ohta-San, but hesitated. When I read the dreaded "sale pending" I was heartbroken. I realized how much I had really wanted it, and vowed to never let one slip away again. On a lark, I confessed my desire in a PM, and as luck would have it, the original deal didn't finalize. So it was meant to be, right?

What's wrong with being a crazy uke hoarder, I went through sixteen the first year I started playing, now I have seven. I actually have a similar story; a couple of months ago I saw an Ovation tenor cutaway sunburst that looked very much like the first new guitar I bought in 1975, starting bid was $200, buy it now for $400. I put in a maximum bid of $275 and had the high bid for two days until the very last second when I was outbid at $278. I immediately regretted not paying up the $400.

But a couple of weeks later I saw in the UU Marketplace a Godin Multiuke sunburst for $400, looking very much like the Ovation. I took a moment to research the Godin and then didn't hesitate and bought it. Once I received it, I realized how much better an instrument the Godin is, and very happy it turned out that way.

I would tell you to just put it with your other ukuleles and don't say anything. Unless he is into ukuleles or is inspecting your pile and counting them every day, he probably won't notice.

This really is probably the best advice - especially if money isn't a huge concern.

My other half always asks me if I would like another ukulele - I know at that point they have their eye on a new camera/lens....! everything evens out in the end.

I purchased a Taylor 812C acoustic guitar in the 90's for about $2,000. Amortized over 23 years works out to just $87 a year. What a deal! Just another angle for discussion with the spouse.. :)

Yes, that's the one! I was "just looking" and was totally smitten with the Ohta-San, but hesitated. When I read the dreaded "sale pending" I was heartbroken. I realized how much I had really wanted it, and vowed to never let one slip away again. On a lark, I confessed my desire in a PM, and as luck would have it, the original deal didn't finalize. So it was meant to be, right?

I love mine, so I suspect that you'll really love yours. Congratulations!

I think if your spouse saw what you wrote in this post, it would be clear that this is a special ukulele for you, and a rare opportunity to buy it. Your spouse should be delighted for you.

Top Bottom